Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85280 - 12/11/10 12:37 PM Klipsch RC-3 v LCR
inacoma Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

System: Outlaw 990 with 7125

Pre/Pro will be replaced by Marantz av7005 (in box right now). I wanted to compare speaker to speaker with the currents setup before I introduced more variables.

I've had the Klipsch RF-3/RC-3/RS-3 system for around 10 years, it has never let me down.

I went ahead and bit on the LCR sale and bought 3 LCR and 2 sets of surrounds.

I only unboxed one LCR, turned off my subs and all speakers except the center channel. I started to watch Lord of the Rings only center channel mode wit DTS. I wanted to compare center to center...

How long do the LCRs need to break-in? Right now it's a dead heat between the two center channels (except for the fact the LCR cost a ton of money). The Klipsch seems to have a "fuller" sound...I'm speculating here that the horns and age contribute to this. The LCR seems to have a more midrange driven sound. Actually a bit disappointed in it's "breadth" compared to my Klipsch. I have a well dampened room, set the LCR to 0 for boundry (no walls near it), Center position, and +2DB for the high.

I guess i'm asking...how long should i give the LCR to "break in"...maybe that's the issue?

thanks.

Kumar

#85281 - 12/11/10 03:12 PM Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR [Re: inacoma]
inacoma Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I Just did a similar test with right and left....I just don't think these LCR speakers sound as good as my RF-3....am I crazy? They don't sound "Full"...I tried with and without the LF1-EX sub...it just seems that the LCR are missing something. Maybe it's cuz I'm used to Klipsch horns and the larger fuller sounding cabinet? I have all the speakers setup just about the same. even the 39" above the floor (tweater to floor). I'm fixing to return all the speakers unless someone can tell me a tip, trick. I Have almost an equalateral triangle with the proper toe-in as well. Speakers are around 30 degrees from viewing position. I think all is optimal. My wife says the same, she notices little to no difference, if anything she thinks the klipsch bring the movie more to life. Ugh, i was really hoping these would be all they were cracked up to be. Now I have to spring around 100 bucks to ship them back....

#85284 - 12/11/10 11:04 PM Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR [Re: inacoma]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I have always trusted my Klipsch to perform well no matter what the input. Unlike others, I enjoy the horns immensely.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85285 - 12/12/10 12:40 AM Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR [Re: XenonMan]
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Trust your ears. Keep what sounds good to you.

#85292 - 12/13/10 03:14 PM Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR [Re: Keta]
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hi Kumar,

I didn't see it mentioned in your post, but what subwoofer are you using in the LCR system? Unlike the Outlaw BLS speakers and your Klipsch RF-3's, the LCR's require a subwoofer as they roll off quite aggressively below 80Hz. I suspect the "something missing" you and your wife have observed is the bass!

Scott

#85293 - 12/13/10 11:15 PM Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR [Re: Scott]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Also, how do you have them mounted? The Klipsch have the height for your ears when sitting. They are also much more efficient than the LCRs so will sound better for a given amount of power because they will be louder.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85874 - 02/01/11 02:44 PM Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR [Re: XenonMan]
Trekkie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wake Forest, NC
a tangent:

hey if you want to sell that RC3 to someone my kids ripped mine off the wall recently and I was trying to find a used one to replace it. I'm still in love with mine and not ready to do a full upgrade laugh

#86634 - 03/28/11 12:54 PM Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR [Re: Trekkie]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Horns and dome tweeters sound completely different. I have a klipsch surround system and M&K S-150. They sound very different and both are good for movies.

For music, I have to say Klipsch sound great for rock and acoustic, but I don't like them for symphony, dance or ambient.

I also have a pair of Polk Audio SDA-2A's, which are over 20 years old. I prefer them for listening to music.

I imagine the LCR's are similar to my M&K's as they have the same size mid's and tweeters. I don't know how much a stereo image they give off, but the M&K's are extremely flat, very similar to studio monitors, which I also have. Klipsch tend to color the music a bit more and are much more in your face.

Depends what you like, but I think you need to give both a long listen to before you decide. In big scene's the klipsch will produce a wow factor, but in more subtle scene's I think you'll be able to detect placement and nuances better with the LCR's. Just a guess since I haven't heard them and that's my experience with the M&K's.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts