Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85068 - 11/11/10 12:46 PM 950 6 channel input ?
HarleyShovel Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
Hi, it’s been a while. I currently use an LG BD-390 Blu-Ray. I let it do the decoding and set the 950 to 6 channel input bypass. It works well except the Blu-Ray player I chose has crumby room calibration abilities. My choices are High/Low volume per channel and Large/Small, and that’s it.
First:
Is there any way to use the 950's room calibration settings while letting the LG do the decoding for true HD and DTS master?
Second:
Do you recommend turning the bass management switch on the back of the 950 ON or OFF? And is there a way to spike the volume some for the bass? (Yes I have the actual sub turned up, but could use more pre)
Third:
Is there a way to spike the surrounds just a tad using the 950? (The LG has the limit of high and low volume and all the channels need to be at high...believe me)

Thanks for any help.

#85069 - 11/11/10 04:07 PM Re: 950 6 channel input ? [Re: HarleyShovel]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
"High" and "Low" volume settings? That's pretty bizarre...

Originally Posted By: HarleyShovel
First:
Is there any way to use the 950's room calibration settings while letting the LG do the decoding for true HD and DTS master?

The Model 950's digital bass management is not available, but the analog bass management is. I'd recommend setting all speakers to large in the player and setting the bass management switch on the Model 950 to "ON" so the bass management happens there.

Second:
Do you recommend turning the bass management switch on the back of the 950 ON or OFF? And is there a way to spike the volume some for the bass? (Yes I have the actual sub turned up, but could use more pre)

See above for bass management.

I don't recall anymore if the Model 950's trim settings were applied to the 6CH input. You could always test it by bumping one channel by 5dB and listening to hear if it makes a difference.

Third:
Is there a way to spike the surrounds just a tad using the 950? (The LG has the limit of high and low volume and all the channels need to be at high...believe me)

If the test above works, you can use that - but it will affect all other sources, as well.

#85192 - 11/29/10 08:21 AM Re: 950 6 channel input ? [Re: gonk]
HarleyShovel Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
Hi, I just wanted to reply so others could see how it went. Trim does work in 6 channel bypass. The reason it didn’t for me was I was using a Universal remote with sequences programmed. Unfortunately it took everything right back after my trim settings when I pressed "next" 6 channel direct bypass. Not only do the trim settings work in bypass but the system configuration for distance works as well. I don't have a meter yet to see if Channel calibration works or not, I have afeeling it will since the system cofiguration works. The analog bass management is on as well.

I currently have the bass trim set with an added 5db. I set the surrounds at 3db and the mains and center are at 2db. It’s possible that I could take everything down 2db and still get the same result. Thanks so much for the help

Edited by HarleyShovel (11/29/10 08:34 AM)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts