Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8516 - 10/28/04 02:41 PM In Car SACD or DVD-Audio
jimform2k1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Windsor, Canada
Group,

Kinda off topic but I will ask anyway.

Are any car audio manufacturers offering sacd or dvd-a setups?

I'm trying to get into these formats at home (ie. maybe with an icbm) but was wondering if I can get surround in car.

Jim

#8517 - 10/28/04 03:11 PM Re: In Car SACD or DVD-Audio
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Look at the Acura TL. It offers a DVD-Audio system specifically installed for that model. I'm currently forgetting which manufacturer provides the system but you'll find it on the web.

So far, I don't know of any manufacturers doing SACD in surround for the car. All hybrid SACD discs should play fine in stereo in a car CD player. Of course, that wouldn't be the hi-res track...

Hope that helps...

#8518 - 10/28/04 03:55 PM Re: In Car SACD or DVD-Audio
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Acura TL's DVD-A system is provided by Panasonic (there's an article about it here ), but there doesn't seem to be a lot of aftermarket support for DVD-Audio yet. Crutchfield appears to have only one head unit with DVD-Audio support, a Kenwood unit that sells for $2300. I found one other link about a high-end unit from Alpine, but it doens't appear to be listed anywhere on Alpine's site yet.

#8519 - 10/28/04 05:04 PM Re: In Car SACD or DVD-Audio
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
There are no SACD units I know of yet. Haven't heard of anything on the horizon either. DVD-Audio is either starting to come out or has a little bit already. You can find the 5.1 decks without too much trouble, but I don't know if your wallet will like it. I'd love to have a DVD-Audio player in my car too, but I'm not sure if it's worth it over the other forms unless you really get into deadening the car.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts