Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85164 - 11/27/10 04:41 PM 1070 takes 3-5 minutes to 'warm up'
harry22 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've had this problem for several years now, in fact pretty much since purchase, but recently it seems to have gotten worse. Basically there is almost no sound when I switch it on, just v. faint from the center channel. After a couple of minutes there is an increasing static sound that then diminishes as the desired soundtrack comes up in volume. Take about a minutes or so for this static to clear.

This happens on all channels (DVD, tuner, Cable etc) in the same manner and is always worse when the unit has been powered down overnight. Switching between surround modes (or even stereo) does not affect the problem either.

Never done anything about it at this point because the problem always goes away anywhere from 2-3 mins to max 5 mins and I'd read on these forums this model had a lot of glitches anyway. But it seems to be getting gradually worse with age.

Any ideas? Cleaning/static issue? Firmware upgrade? It's a sensational amp otherwise, would love to get many more years use out of it.

Thanks all.

#85253 - 12/05/10 11:28 PM Re: 1070 takes 3-5 minutes to 'warm up' [Re: harry22]
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I'd actually be quite interested in what anyone else here has to say about this as I've had this exact same problem for several months now, perhaps a year. Likewise it seems to be a sort of "warm-up" time as when I've been using it recently it doesn't have the same problem or a reduced duration at least. I would assume it's a problem in the amp section, but the specific issue and any potential solutions (or the cause) still elude me.

#85255 - 12/06/10 08:03 AM Re: 1070 takes 3-5 minutes to 'warm up' [Re: Belgand]
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
I've suggested this before but it's worth repeating. A modern receiver/processor is very much like a computer. If you've had it for a long time it probably is full of dust. If your sub regularly shakes the room some of the circuit boards may have come partially out of their sockets. If you live in a place with high humidity connectors may have built up oxides or started to corrode. All of these environmental conditions can cause significant problems or apparent failure.

It probably is worth taking off the cover, using canned air or a vaccuum (be careful not to let the pipe touch anything in the component) to blow out all the crud, and reseating the circuit boards.

#85288 - 12/12/10 05:53 PM Re: 1070 takes 3-5 minutes to 'warm up' [Re: Bob Becker]
TBarnaby Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I recently developed this exact same thing. After a quick call to Outlaw I found this to be a known issue. I sent it back to them for them to reflow the solder joints on one of the boards and all is good now. They downloaded the latest firmware as well.

One thing to consider....shipping was more than the repair itself. I want to say Outlaw charged me $75 for the fix, but shipping was over $100 since you have to pay both directions(literally YMMV).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts