Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85125 - 11/21/10 04:24 PM No Sound
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Watched Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last weekend and enthusiastically looked forward to watching the Girl Who Played with Fire this weekend. Everything worked properly last weekend without a hitch. Regular TV is watched with connections from the STB to the TV, I rarely watch TV with the receiver and amp on. I use a Harmony 880 remote. When I turned everything on today to watch the movie, I got a picture but no sound. I unplugged the 1070 from the back of the unit for a minute or so, no change, then left it off for five minutes, no change then a master reset, no change. Thought it may have been the source (Oppo BD-83) so I tried my STB through the 1070. Then wondered if it could have been the amp (Outlaw 7500). Switched speaker output from amp to receiver. No change. Oppo is connected to the 1070 via analog and digital coax. STB is connected to 1070 by digital coax. Will call Outlaw tomorrow, but hope to get some ideas from the group first.

#85126 - 11/21/10 06:13 PM Re: No Sound [Re: nortynorty]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Did you try selecting inputs on the 1070 manually (without using the Harmony)?

#85128 - 11/21/10 08:23 PM Re: No Sound [Re: gonk]
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, I tried Aux (for the STB) and CD. Changed Coaxial 1 to 7.1 and back with DVD. Should have mentioned that firmware was upgraded soon after release.

#85130 - 11/21/10 10:36 PM Re: No Sound [Re: nortynorty]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Did you try the 1070's internal test tones?

#85131 - 11/22/10 08:14 AM Re: No Sound [Re: gonk]
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Tried internal test tones this AM as suggested, no sound. Noticed that the amp button was red and didn't change color after turning the receiver on even after the normal delay. Checked trigger cable for secure connection. On one hand it could appear that there is no signal/sound getting to the amp. On the other hand, I remember during some of the tests that the amp light was blue. Also taking the amp out of the equation by connecting the speakers to the receiver did not do anything. I did not check for the test tones with the speakers connected directly to the receiver.

#85132 - 11/22/10 08:27 AM Re: No Sound [Re: nortynorty]
gonk Offline
Desperado

If the amp light is red, the amp is in standby - it doesn't indicate anything about the input status.

#85134 - 11/22/10 08:13 PM Re: No Sound [Re: gonk]
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for your suggestions, Gonk. I spoke with Jim at Outlaw this morning who felt that I tried everything at my end that they would advise. He suggested sending the unit back to them. I packed it up this evening and will ship it out tomorrow.

#85278 - 12/11/10 08:28 AM Re: No Sound [Re: nortynorty]
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Thought I would update the forum on the status to close the loop on this issue and to comment on the service I received from Outlaw. As mentioned above, the unit was shipped to Outlaw (11/23) at their Norton MA location. Because it was the week of Thanksgiving it didn't arrive until the following Tuesday (11/30). I immediately received acknowledgement with a note that repairs normally take 3-4 weeks (it was a form letter). On Monday, 12/6 I called to see how things were progressing, initially spoke with Scott who transferred me to Jim. Jim told me the unit was worked on the previous week and has been in testing since Friday. It was still being tested the day I called and if all remains okay will be shipped the following day. Jim said that it was a faulty capacitor and he replaced several while he was changing the faulty one. The cost was $75 plus shipping and the unit was back with me yesterday. It is back in place, speaker trim recalibrated and working again all is less than 2 weeks from when they received it. I can't say enough about how responsive and professional they were and how reasonable the cost was. I also realized how miserable I was without it. Thank you Outlaw!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts