Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#85246 - 12/04/10 11:07 PM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: countryboy]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't followed the AVS threads in recent weeks (been busy at work, haven't written up any sort of review either - out of character for me, but maybe after some deadlines get behind me and the holidays are past I'll have a chance to catch up). I have used several different servers over the last year or so. If the ones you mention, I'd recommend TVersity. I have used it with the BDP-83 and BDP-93. It's robust, pretty easy to configure, and the free version gives you all you need.

#85247 - 12/05/10 10:43 AM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: gonk]
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Gonk

Do you have a good guide on how to set TVersity up. I tried my damnedest and never got it working with an ATI TV Wonder 650. It saw the card but that was about as far as I could get with it.

#85452 - 01/02/11 11:57 PM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: Bob Becker]
gonk Offline
Desperado

My forum travels have been pretty spotty over the last couple months, which is probably why I never replied to Bob in this thread about TVersity setup. I'll have to dig back through some stuff to recall how I set TVersity up originally. In the meanwhile, though, I have two other links that are relevant to this thread:

OPPO Digital BDP-93 review

Setup Guide for Outlaw Audio Processors and the BDP-93

I'll probably need to go back and proofread the review tomorrow, but I think it and the setup guides are both presentable enough to post. Enjoy!

#85455 - 01/03/11 07:34 AM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: gonk]
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Gonk

Don't spend a lot of time on TVersity. Since that post we got FIOS and its DVR. So I don't really need to use a computer for recording anymore. Also got a Roku XDS about 10 days ago, which works very well with Netflix and our 1070.

#85940 - 02/07/11 02:57 PM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: Bob Becker]
Baramon! Offline
Gunslinger

Oppo 93 ordered and will have it on Wednesday. Netflix been changed to "blu-ray" and some fresh discs on its way to play with.

Thanks for the info Gonk! Very helpful indeed. The setup guide is printed and ready to go!

#85942 - 02/07/11 08:20 PM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: Baramon!]
gonk Offline
Desperado

I think you'll enjoy it!

#85998 - 02/10/11 03:29 PM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: gonk]
Baramon! Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, it meets or exceeds my expectations. First run last nite was excellent and no problems at all. Even works with my Universal remote without any adjustments. I have to build in for the Netflix with the deletion for Ruku I have been using.

Analog out with the sub gain boost seems to work nice. Have not played with it to see what would happen without but its all working great.

Finally get to play all my SACD and DVD-A discs without the compromise of the old machine.

While Oppo gets nice remarks about packaging I must say its on par with the machines of the past but not as good as Outlaw. They should double box the unit.

Came unharmed so I can't complain.

Nice looking unit. All tests out tonite I might embed it in the cabinet. Behind the tinted doors of my BDI unit they all just fade to black anyway.

#85999 - 02/10/11 04:21 PM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: Baramon!]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: Baramon!
While Oppo gets nice remarks about packaging I must say its on par with the machines of the past but not as good as Outlaw. They should double box the unit.

I've wondered about the merit of double-boxing their players in the past, but so far their players have all traveled well in single boxes with the dense foam caps they use. I've taken delivery of their players (travel from San Francisco to Memphis) a lot of times while beta testing - easily over a dozen deliveries when you consider hardware changes during testing - and never had an issue. I think one advantage they've had over Outlaw is weight: none of their DVD players were over 10 pounds and their Blu-ray players are not much heavier, while Outlaw ships subs, amps, speakers, receivers, and processors that are larger and heavier - they need the extra layer of cardboard to survive transit. The BDP-95 is the first OPPO player I've encountered that starts to be heavy enough to make me wonder about double-boxing.

#86578 - 03/21/11 12:47 PM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: gonk]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Speaking of the BDP-95, I've got a BDP-95 review posted now that folks may find of interest.

#86608 - 03/24/11 03:06 PM Re: Oppo BDP-93 [Re: gonk]
Baramon! Offline
Gunslinger

Good review and consistant with a conversation we had a few weeks ago. As much as I love my system and happy with it perhaps the 95 was a bit over its pay grade and would not garner the 95's advantages.

Perhaps at a later date I can put some mods into to boost it or in time a new machine will present itself (most likly oppo).

What did I do with the other $500? Did the Bass Shakers in the couches and its been a great upgrade for movie watching.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts