Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#84911 - 10/15/10 05:13 PM Self Evaluation
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Perhaps we could get a frank assessment from Outlaw's team about what they can and cannot do in terms of new products?

To be frank, I'm looking at the current offerings and I'm not seeing anything unique. 5 years ago when I parted with about $4k to get a mostly Outlaw theater system, I did that because nobody else offered what I got for the same $$$. That just isn't the case anymore. What I am seeing is lots of "well, we'll have XYZ real soon now...honest...any day now...well, as soon as supplier X can deliver or doesn't go out of business or whatever."

Aside from reselling ATI gear, exactly what can I look forward to? Re-badging Chinese-made stuff from (pick a vendor) doesn't work for me. Give me something I can sink my teeth into and get excited about. The HPAS stuff is somewhat interesting, but seems unaffordable for what I would consider the typical Outlaw buyer (maybe I'm mistaken on that front...hell, I make a pretty good living, but spending several grand on a pair of speakers is pushing it).

I'm becoming bored with the brand. Wake me up.

I want to continue to be an Outlaw customer, but I've become a bit jaded by recent (if the last couple of years could be called recent) events.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Ritz2 (10/15/10 05:20 PM)

#84919 - 10/16/10 12:13 PM Re: Self Evaluation [Re: Ritz2]
casey01 Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Ritz2
Perhaps we could get a frank assessment from Outlaw's team about what they can and cannot do in terms of new products?

To be frank, I'm looking at the current offerings and I'm not seeing anything unique. 5 years ago when I parted with about $4k to get a mostly Outlaw theater system, I did that because nobody else offered what I got for the same $$$. That just isn't the case anymore. What I am seeing is lots of "well, we'll have XYZ real soon now...honest...any day now...well, as soon as supplier X can deliver or doesn't go out of business or whatever."

Aside from reselling ATI gear, exactly what can I look forward to? Re-badging Chinese-made stuff from (pick a vendor) doesn't work for me. Give me something I can sink my teeth into and get excited about. The HPAS stuff is somewhat interesting, but seems unaffordable for what I would consider the typical Outlaw buyer (maybe I'm mistaken on that front...hell, I make a pretty good living, but spending several grand on a pair of speakers is pushing it).

I'm becoming bored with the brand. Wake me up.

I want to continue to be an Outlaw customer, but I've become a bit jaded by recent (if the last couple of years could be called recent) events.

Thanks for your time.

I can't help but agree with you. As a long-time customer as well, I watched awaiting the eventual arrival of the 997 only to be notified well down the road it was not going to be released and then going to be replaced by the "new and improved" 998. Then after several months out of nowhere comes the announcement that a model 978 will precede the 998! It IS not hard to get jaded as to what exactly will be the final outcome, if any, as to what will eventually transpire with an actual NEW product.

It is interesting to note and actually quite ironic that in Outlaw selling a couple of the Marantz units that they(Marantz) have already announced and soon to be on the market an AVR and Pre-Pro in the $1500 range with most of the latest features that will probably offer the greatest competition to whatever Outlaw eventually introduces. As well, internet "scuttlebut" has indicated ATI(of course, the co. that builds many Outlaw pwr amps) is about to buy up the assets of another esoteric company, B&K. With such uncertainty, over the last couple of years, and the lack of new product announcements, is such a scenario in the future of Outlaw? One would hope not, however, the consumer electronics industry, for quite some time now, has been in a state of consolidation.

It should be interesting.

#84922 - 10/16/10 03:24 PM Re: Self Evaluation [Re: casey01]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I wish Outlaw could post actual specs on the 978 so we can actually compare it to other equipment already out there. It would be a shame to come to market with a component which is very close to less than SOTA. The saving grace will have to be its output quality. If it is not absolutely top notch, Outlaw could be in for a wild ride.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#85015 - 10/27/10 03:36 PM Re: Self Evaluation [Re: XenonMan]
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: White Cloud, Michigan
Ritz2, I agree. I'd like to see Outlaw come up with a unique, American made (or if not that, at least not made in China) product soon, rather the continued affiliations with other companies. I understand they have to do what they need to do to keep the doors open, but with all the advances in HT, there are a lot of choices out there that aren't as pricey as the list price offerings from Outlaw. I've put HT on the back burner and turned my attention to my 2 channel rig, but if Outlaw offered something unique, with good value (and NOT made in China), I'd be looking their way again.
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
Red Dragon M-500 monoblocks
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#85036 - 10/31/10 06:58 PM Re: Self Evaluation [Re: og33]
relister Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I understand the frustration of many who were hoping to have a 998 but I also have to say that I am still willing to wait.

The reality is that there are plenty of boring products out in the marketplace, lots of ridiculously overpriced products, no shortage of poor quality products, and a remarkable dearth of things to spend my money on...

I do think that Outlaw is smart not to have brought an unstable / quality impaired product to the market, any boost they would have gotten from hype would quickly have been overwhelmed with complaints and losses from returns.

While I am not thrilled that Outlaw is currently "passing along" marketing of products they have had no hand in developing, I understand the reality of them needing to offer a range of products that complement their custom offerings while the unforeseen development problems are worked out...

Frankly, I am painfully aware of the collapse of most A/V retailers. When I visit the handful of survivors in what used to be a VERY robust range of shops in the greater Chicago region I do not see shops that are healthy. They are dusty, with an ugly mix of old equipment that is not going to be easy to sell at any price. Fortunately Costco sells only really awful stuff, with HTIB and low end sound bars crowding out everything else. Best Buy continues to try and expand their Magnolia stores but with the awful economic conditions the ability to sell other than lower priced products with low paid staff remains limited...

The "penetration rate" of HDTV is hard to judge, and the number of people that have spent more than a few hundred dollars on Home Theater is shockingly low.

If Outlaw can keep their balance sheet from going "red" by selling quality equipment at a fair price that complements their custom designed / made offerings I have nothing against this.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM