Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#84843 - 10/09/10 08:13 PM Will there be a 1070 replacement?
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
I do not recall this question being presented to Outlaw so here it goes. Will there be a replacement for the 1070? That is a well built (and hopefully bug free) receiver from Outlaw? While going separates is optimum, it is not always possible for many reasons. It seems it would be a nice option from Outlaw.

#84844 - 10/09/10 09:39 PM Re: Will there be a 1070 replacement? [Re: nomoneybutgoodsound]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't recall it coming up recently, but considering the challenges that just about all the smaller companies have faced developing HDMI-based platforms over the last few years I'd assume their priority remains focused on a surround processor. Doing a lower-cost platform and pairing it with internal amps would seem to have to be on the back burner at this point - it is a tougher market to compete in than a surround processor, there's probably less profit margin, and development costs and challenges aren't likely to be much lower.

#84846 - 10/09/10 10:59 PM Re: Will there be a 1070 replacement? [Re: gonk]
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
I would have to agree with you in that it is a tougher market. Many new products have the width and height channels, some even have 9 channels of amplification. I would imagine that any replacement would have to exceed the original price of the 1070 by a fairly large percentage. But I do wonder what they could do with an existing platform and if it is even worth the effort and costs. While I do not think the 970/1070 was based on another platform, one of the things that did appeal to me at the time was the simplicity of the product while maintaining a great sounding unit.

#84847 - 10/09/10 11:44 PM Re: Will there be a 1070 replacement? [Re: nomoneybutgoodsound]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: nomoneybutgoodsound
I would imagine that any replacement would have to exceed the original price of the 1070 by a fairly large percentage.

If they had a receiver that was a lot more than the Model 1070's $899, you get back to the range where a separate processor and a Model 7075 don't cost much more.

Originally Posted By: nomoneybutgoodsound
But I do wonder what they could do with an existing platform and if it is even worth the effort and costs. While I do not think the 970/1070 was based on another platform, one of the things that did appeal to me at the time was the simplicity of the product while maintaining a great sounding unit.

The Model 1070 was designed from the ground up by Outlaw and Eastech, as were the Model 950 and Model 1050. Te Model 970 simply removed the 1070's amps. A receiver based on an existing platform would be putting their name on somebody else's receiver (something they may not be interested in doing at this point) unless they tried to add amps to the Model 978. Doing that would mean either leaving enough room in the 978's chassis to support those amps or transplanting the 978's guts into a larger chassis to make room for the amps.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts