Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 18 19 >
Topic Options
#84689 - 09/22/10 06:12 PM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: DOBEMAN]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seneca, SC
It is starting to look bad. It seems like the only thing the Outlaws are doing lately is pushing out receivers (not their hardware), returns, and overstock speakers which may be a sign they are going under. I certainly hope not! I for one have been hanging on with my 950 for more than a few years now and I am ready to release cash; but time has almost run out - not sure how much longer I can holdout. Since the beta apparently happened several months back, I really hope they are still a go and the 998 available by Thanksgiving will be a good news spike to get the Holiday spirits going. I do know that general availability of electronic components has become a real problem lately with 20 - 40 week lead times not uncommon. I hope that is not their problem now. Maybe they are just stocking the warehouse today in preparation for the big announcement. I say (the obvious) - if you don't have your dreams, what have you got?

#84690 - 09/22/10 09:22 PM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: JDB001]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

So that there is no confusion, I want to let everyone know that the product currently under beta testing is as important as a new processor, but it is not the Model 998. As we've stated previously, we are working on a number of new products. As for our our processor plans we will have an update for you in the next few weeks.

Peter

#84691 - 09/22/10 09:41 PM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: PeterT]
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, South Carolina
An update will go along way for those of us who are faithfully holding out. Thanks

#84698 - 09/24/10 01:09 AM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: edcon]
southpark Offline
Gunslinger

At this point Trinnov looks like poison to everyone who touches it.

I think Outlaw would have done better to have convinced Trinnov to let them build a cheaper standalone consumer version that didn't require integrating software -- which I suspect has been what has derailed everyone else.

I'm guessing it will be six to twelve months more, but without 3D crap and full HDMI 1.4 (or is it 1.4a?) that many people will be expecting as most mainstream upper-end units will likely all have by then.

Sad.

My advice, if anyone is listening, is that Outlaw can't possibly help and can only hurt by continuing the policy of holding their cards close to their vest. I think it would only help, and keep the dream alive for those of us who are waiting and would buy the product to share the ups and downs with us in weekly or monthly updates.

I mean get real, who do they think they're fooling at this point? Any future customer knows what Newcastle and Outlaw went through, the delays, more delays, etc., by now.

That cat is long out of the bags guys. If they're worried making announcements that lead to disappointment will cast a black cloud over the product they haven't been following the Trinnov saga as closely as anyone who might buy it. The black cloud is already here, and has been here. Rather than worrying about it Outlaw should start doing something to disperse it.

In my opinion anyway.

#84699 - 09/24/10 07:53 AM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: southpark]
Swilp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Have I understood this right? As of now, the 998 is not even in the beta testing phase?!!

Another year and midrange pre/pros are still off the menu!

#84700 - 09/24/10 09:33 AM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: Swilp]
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
Unless it is the 999 in beta testing?

#84703 - 09/24/10 12:50 PM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: ndskurfer]
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
I hope I don’t regret posting this…..

As is obvious by my post count, I am not a regular contributor to this forum, but I am a regular reader/visitor.
In defense of Outlaw : the 998 is a new product and I am unaware of any delays in its release since its announcement. That’s if you don’t see it as the same project as the 997, which was scrapped entirely. I believe Outlaw when they say the 998 is an entirely new product, and as such, is being developed from the ground up largely in-house.
However, that’s about the only slack I can cut them.
Peter T…I am a card carrying, banner waiving fan of Outlaw Audio. I have recommended your products to family and friends who are equally as enthusiastic about your past products. Frankly, however, I find myself increasingly frustrated and discouraged at the complete lack of new, innovative, fair priced, mid level audio components from Outlaw.
If I want mass produced, over priced, under achieving products like Marantz, Denon, etc. I’ll go to Best Buy. We as audio consumers have a vast array of choices when it comes to speakers, subs, DVD players, displays, furniture, ipod accessories, cables, etc. If what is being beta tested is any of those things, big deal. It will only add to an already long list of what we already have to choose from. It will not be “as important as a new processor” for those of us waiting for a new processor.
What many of us do lack is a pre-pro with the features and quality at a price point that Outlaw is known for.
Clearly, this is a huge undertaking as is evidenced by a void in this area. And not only by Outlaw. The audio industry is littered with failed attempts (Sherwood), abandoned attempts (Parasound), and some limited successes that you will pay dearly for (Anthem). It must be wildly difficult to get this right.
Has our desire for features and capabilities gone beyond our technological ability to produce them? If that’s the case, then that is what we should be told.
Oppo unveiled their new DVD player at CEDIA with a release scheduled for November. That’s reasonable. 5 years for a new pre-pro with no end in sight? That’s unreasonable.
And, as I’ve learned from visiting the Saloon for many years, “we will have an update for you in the next few weeks” means an update by Christmas, not a product.

#84705 - 09/24/10 06:57 PM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: EFSIII]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Since I am not in the market for 3D and am completely satisfied with my current equipment, I don't have a dog in this race, BUT, if I did, I would be anxious about the status of the 998 since it has been way too long since the last update. The 998 was promised by the end of the year and if that promise is not kept, I fear the saloon will be in a ghost town with a few tumbleweeds blowing in the background. I am glad Outlaw did not bring out the 997 in a vain attempt to make some of us happy while killing the market for most. Sherwood is paying the price for pushing the 972 out too fast.

I have several pieces of Outlaw gear which is still under warranty and would hate to see the company go belly up and not be able to support any issues I might have. I am glad Outlaw offered the Onkyo PR-SC886 when they did because I was ready to but the 997 if it had been on the market. Trinnov may be a game changer for some but how much better can it be than the Audyssey systems already out there.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#84710 - 09/25/10 10:08 AM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: XenonMan]
ColonelPackage Offline
Gunslinger

I think I hear a bell tolling somewhere. Hopefully its for my currently gimpy Rotel processor and not the prospects of the 998.

I gotta be honest, I'm not encouraged.

#84711 - 09/25/10 01:38 PM Re: Ready by Christmas? [Re: PeterT]
JDB001 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Seneca, SC
Oh NO!! Thanks for the note Peter, but that is the worst news I have heard in a long time. I am truely depressed - NO 998 for Christmas (Ok, how about a 999?) Yikes - another sweater and a few pair of socks - not exciting. While I understand the challenges of designing and delivering electronic equipment today (having done it many times), I must agree with other comments on the forum. The 998 - a NEW "super signal processor" - is the most important thing you guys do. It is (I would argue) your premier product. Where is it?? Amplifiers are good, speakers are nice, receiver(s) (Uh-wha-t) - but multi-channel decoding, EQ and "big time" signal processing for movies at home is "The Outlaw" I would argue. So tuck it in, square it up, and kick it out!
(Now if it is only a couple more months away - nevermind - I take it all back - where do I sign?)

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 18 19 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts