Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#84638 - 09/16/10 10:27 PM IF it were my name on the box...
Woohoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just a couple of constructive(I think anyway) criticisms.

I just got my first Outlaw product today. It's been a long time coming (I've been lurking for years), and I have a few suggestions to the good folks at Outlaw.

Within 3 minutes of wiring up and situating the LFM-1 Plus, I'd do a couple things differently:

First, ditch the 2 box business. I routinely receive 90lbs items through both UPS and FEDEX and the equipment is 20 times more expensive(and sophisticated) that what you are shipping. I'm not saying your system doesn't work... First impressions, you know.

Second, what the deal with Paul Bunyan's Pillow case? Why give me something that has ZERO use?

Third, Since this sub is huge(hey, my wife signed for it so I'm keeping it!) why not create some kind of cosmetic door to hide all the knobs, switches, LED's and such? If I don't put the "back" end towards a corner or wall(compromising placement) I have all the ugly parts showing... How much more expensive could it be to gracefully cover at least some of it?

Lastly, I'd do away with that wimpy feeling power cord. It's kinda short (compromise placement), and wouldn't you want to have a cord with a ground pin? Just wondering.

In the next versions make the subs a bit smaller in each direction... This thing's taller than my coffee table.

I'm kinda middle of the road on the experience so far... f'n credit card company not helping, then Fedex totally breaking with tradition and showing up at 9:30AM has NEVER happened in the 9 years at this address.

I've had it on for only 5 minutes (kids sleeping) and I can already tell I'm in for a FUN weekend.

Thanks Outlaw's for putting up with the crabby emails, and cranky phone call. And a shout out to Fedex(though with more pushing on my end) finally went against everything they said they would do and made a second delivery attempt, even though I was waiting at the f'n FEDEX center to drive it back to my house.

#84639 - 09/17/10 06:45 AM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: Woohoo]
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
I don't know the history behind double boxing and dressing speakers in bags, but I have some answers to your questions. As for the double boxing, I have had to send electronic equipment home for repairs, and those boxes can take a beating during the round trip. So I don't think you really want to get rid of the outer one.

As for the door to hide the nobs, lights and switches, two suggestions. Cables go in there as well. On a sub particularly, you'd probably complain rather loudly if, as it was shaking your house, that door was rattling because it no longer closes tightly or due to environmental conditions shrank a little. You really don't need or want that door.

Subs come in many sizes. If you want a smaller one you can get it. Some people have bigger rooms or want the floor to shake more, so they get bigger subs, or they get 2 bigger subs. If the one you got takes up too much space get a smaller one.

Power cords on audio equipment are short for a reason. They collect radio frequency interference (RFI). If you've ever dealt with it you know its a pain in the (choose your body part). The longer the cord the more of it you can collect and hear. Things that need grounding get it. Things that don't, ... well why add another wire to collect RFI. Gonk and some of the technical types around here can explain this one better than I.

Enjoy your new sub. Maybe you can use Paul Bunyan's pillowcase as a laundry bag.

#84641 - 09/17/10 07:27 AM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: Woohoo]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Welcome to the forum, Woohoo, and I hope you have fun with the sub this weekend.

Originally Posted By: Woohoo
Third, Since this sub is huge(hey, my wife signed for it so I'm keeping it!) why not create some kind of cosmetic door to hide all the knobs, switches, LED's and such? If I don't put the "back" end towards a corner or wall(compromising placement) I have all the ugly parts showing... How much more expensive could it be to gracefully cover at least some of it?

Keep in mind that the plate is a power amp, and that amp produces heat. The external plate of these amps is the amp's method of heat rejection. That's why you will find that even very expensive subs have their plate amp (and its connections) exposed on one side. Concealing the plate (and its connections) would be a fairly expensive hassle and would require the sub to grow - the cover would have to be added externally to avoid pushing the amp inward and encroaching on the sub's internal volume. The only effective way to avoid that is to have a passive sub and a separate power amp, but that's pretty rare these days.

In the next versions make the subs a bit smaller in each direction... This thing's taller than my coffee table.

The ECS-10 did just that. They went from a ported design (which requires the size you see to achieve the performance you hear) to a sealed design (which can function with a smaller internal volume, but requires more power to compensate for the lack of a port and thus leads to higher cost). Ported subs with large drivers are inherently big boxes.

As for the double-boxing and the fabric cover (Paul Bunyan's pillow case - great description), I don't blame them for being careful. There's been a somewhat recent example of a sub company choosing to skimp on their boxing, and the result was a pronounced uptick in shipping damage between the factory and the consumer. The fabric cover could also have been plastic, but the underlying goal is to protect the finish of the sub. The plastic wouldn't have been any use either after the sub was out of the box.

#84644 - 09/17/10 10:18 AM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: gonk]
Woohoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies. Good to see a little life on the board after all.

I was just saying that if I were Outlaw, and I had a product line that was getting stagnant (though still highly capable) that I'd change a few things.

I totally understand why doors don't get put on subwoofers, but something should be able to be done.

The included power cord just feels cheap. I don't feel like I could run 1 amp through the thing. I'm not asking for a 24ft power cord, 10ft would be nice, that give me a bit more flexibility in where I can put the sub in my room. AND adding a ground plug should give you a place to run any RF shields to. Anybody with a Nextel phone in conversation can tell you where all the unshielded electronics are in their office, home and car are located.

I always thought stuff was put in plastic bags in shipping to keep any potential water off the product. I've had delivered boxes sitting outside in rainstorms before I got to them and never had issue with the product inside the box because it was enclosed in plastic. The cloth bag to me seems like it would just soak up the water and hold it tight to the sub and ruin the electronics. Speaking of boxes, If I wanted a Russian Babushka Doll I'd have ordered one. A box in a box in a box is just one, too many. I didn't say "it doesn't work". I'm saying there are better ways and still provide good shipping protection.

And as far as size... that's just my concern for my room. I get why enclosures are the size they are. It all comes down to the driver design and how much air it needs. I'm saying for the next generation of product, design it for a smaller enclosure.

On the lighter side of things, as I was installing the feet, my 3 year old ran up stuck his hole arm in the unplugged port and proceeded to tell my he dropped a ball inside the sub... AHHHH!!!! after rocking the sub around a bit, I think the bugger was joking with me.

And Outlaw should institute a WAF scale... based on how may "girl" movies I'll have to watch when she see's the box I just purchased. I think I'm up to about 25 just on the size of this sub alone.

#84645 - 09/17/10 10:42 AM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: Woohoo]
Woohoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

AND

Since, I'm here.

Any particular reason Outlaw isn't offing any R972's for sale? Heck for that matter, why not become the authorized online retailer for the "next step" receivers out there? Some of us have had our fill with the Big Box stores but still want to "move UP" into the next tier of equipment. There should be more than 2 options for sale. I've never been a Marantz guy and a "stereo" receiver just isn't going to cut it in the theater. I'm voting with my pocketbook... I choose to keep the Outlaws on the loose than board up the shop and tell old campfire stories of when "I was younger..."

#84647 - 09/17/10 11:17 AM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: Woohoo]
gonk Offline
Desperado

I totally understand why doors don't get put on subwoofers, but something should be able to be done.

Something can be done. You can actually do a couple different things.

One is to have a passive sub (with just a pair of bindings posts tucked in there somewhere) and a separate power amp. The problem there is that most modern subs are designed as a unified system, with the cabinet, driver, and amp each specified (and often customized) for a particular sub. That means having a separate power amp specifically for your sub, and since that amp needs a full chassis it will cost most. It will also require some rack space, which can sometimes be a problem.

The other is to build a custom plate amp with no controls or connections on it, and then remote locate the controls and connections somewhere. The amp cost will increase (it's not a standard approach, so tooling needs to be made and a lot of parts have to be made just for that amp). You still need to "hide" the controls and connections on the sub somewhere, which means you still clutter up one side of the sub unless you build in a cavity and mount a door - and even then, you've got cords trailing out of it on that side. And you still need to provide for ventilation for the amp, so you can't bury it away too deeply in the sub.

At the end of the day, all of the LFM's competitors have plate amps on the back, and since subs almost always end up with at least one side facing a wall (often two sides, for corner placement). Unless somebody had a really bright idea to conceal that stuff, it's just too impractical to make significant improvements.

The included power cord just feels cheap. I don't feel like I could run 1 amp through the thing. I'm not asking for a 24ft power cord, 10ft would be nice, that give me a bit more flexibility in where I can put the sub in my room. AND adding a ground plug should give you a place to run any RF shields to. Anybody with a Nextel phone in conversation can tell you where all the unshielded electronics are in their office, home and car are located.

The wiring in your wall is not all that much heavier gauge than the power cord that came with your sub, and it has to handle much more current (15A compared to the 3.15A that the LFM-1's amp is internally fused for). It may feel skinny, but the engineer who specified it knew what he was doing and it'll do just fine. That being said, I have known companies to "move up" on their power cords before based on similar feedback. A prime example is OPPO Digital, who I have done some beta testing for. Starting with either the DV-983H or BDP-83, they changed power cords to a heavier unit based on complaints that their earlier cords were too puny. They ended up getting complaints that the new cord was too heavy and stiff. smile

As for the ground, many sub makers elect to go with two-prong power cords because of problems with ground loop hum when using three-prong cords. Again, it's all a matter of trade-offs.

Speaking of boxes, If I wanted a Russian Babushka Doll I'd have ordered one. A box in a box in a box is just one, too many. I didn't say "it doesn't work". I'm saying there are better ways and still provide good shipping protection.

I've seen stuff shipped both ways (single- and double-boxed). Many consumers will actually object to not getting a component double-boxed, largely because of the oft-displayed skill with which shipping companies can inflict abuse on packaging during transit. OPPO Digital single-boxes their disc players (the largest and heaviest of which is maybe 2.5" or 3" tall and around 11 pounds) and I've seen countless potential customers question that policy even though damage to their players during shipping is almost totally unheard of. When dealing with a 60lb or 80lb subwoofer the size of a table, for each person like yourself who sees the outer box as a waste there are probably ten people who don't care either way and five more who would consider not buying the product if the outer box were omitted. Perception is a powerful thing... smile

Any particular reason Outlaw isn't offing any R972's for sale? Heck for that matter, why not become the authorized online retailer for the "next step" receivers out there? Some of us have had our fill with the Big Box stores but still want to "move UP" into the next tier of equipment.

I would have to guess that they aren't selling R-972's for the same reason they scrapped the Model 997: they weren't satisfied with the overall performance and/or quality. The Model 997 was to be based on the R-972 platform, and based on the limited activity in the R-972 thread at AVS I get the impression that Outlaw felt that it wasn't to their level of quality. It's similar to Parasound's decision to scrap all three of their HDMI-based products this year, although in that case the base platform was different (Emotiva's UMC-1, which has proven to be a very problematic unit). Outlaw appears to have been partnering with Marantz this year while developing the Model 998. The SR5005 that they are offering now is less money, appears to be stable/reliable, and has a very competitive feature set. I think that most folks would hold Marantz in higher regard than Sherwood, especially after all the problems the R-972 had, so it seems like a pretty decent partnership to go with.

#84648 - 09/17/10 12:23 PM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: gonk]
Woohoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk, your not thinking far enough outside the box here.

IF LG can do this

http://www.lg.com/us/infinia/index.jsp#/LED/look-better/wireless-connection

Surely, Outlaw can build a transmitter that doesn't sound like my kid's walkie talkie.

I also understand that Outlaw is only going to sell stuff they think is worthy. I just like a little selection to shop from.

Again, just my 2 cents.

#84650 - 09/17/10 01:03 PM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: Woohoo]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Transmission has to happen upstream of amplification, though. Sure, you could eliminate the RCA cable going to the sub, but you still have the power cord and the amp itself tucked in there. That LG also has a power cord on the back along with a bunch of connections - look at the 360° view and you'll see that the back of that TV is no prettier than the back of a sub.

#84651 - 09/17/10 01:28 PM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: gonk]
Woohoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Totally off topic Gonk. The point I'm trying to make is: if Outlaw wants to stand out from the crowd, they need to be different from the crowd!

To paraphrase from you, conventional wisdom dictates panel filled with knobs, switches, cables and leave it exposed.

Engineers get paid to solve problems. If everyone just says "this is perfect", nothing happens.

Yup, plug the S. O. B. in. Control it from from a integrated controller in a NEW OUTLAW 999 or an external box which would cost an extra $150. Give me 5 new (Since I'm pulling it from my @ anyway) pretty sides on a sub with smaller dimensions with a power cord that plugs in on the bottom, and I'd be a really happy camper. Stack the controller(want to get into ideas on this too?) in the rack. Keep the cables short. BOOM instant trend setter. Release review samples to CNET and a couple other mainstream online review sites. Sit back and watch the sales department rock.

AND SINCE I'M JUST FULL OF IDEAS TODAY; OUTLAW NEEDS TO RUN AN AMAZON AND EBAY STORE FRONT. Seriously, it 2010 already.

#84652 - 09/17/10 03:37 PM Re: IF it were my name on the box... [Re: Woohoo]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
If you want to get rid of your RCA cord and give yourself more flexibility in placement check out the wireless connection from Aperion audio. It allows you to place your sub anywhere in the room as long as you can get power to it.

As far as double boxes, if you ever have to send your equipment back to the manufacturer, you will thank the manufacturers that take the time to double box equipment. I received my Onkyo from Outlaw and it was well packaged but has a single box with large gaps between the outside and the equipment. The box had two big gouges in it when I first got it and then I had to ship it back to get a firmware update. I am just glad it didn't get damaged in transit. I sent my 7125 back for soem work and wasn't concerned in the least because that double box was incredibly tough.

While I agree that Outlaw needs to stand out in the crowd, they can't chase every new techno idea. They had a lot of time and customer angst around the 997 that they canceled rather than bring a poor product to market. That was difficult situation because they had everyone asking about the machine and it all went up in smoke.

Gonk has already explained the electronics of why the power cord is as it is. I have the LFM-1EX and it just crushes the bass with the original cord. I would suggest you get a 90 degree RCA coupler to reduce the strain on the connection. The size of the sub is clearly indicated on the product page but when you get it out of the box it is huge.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM