Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#84205 - 07/03/10 03:34 PM Re: HDBaseT the new standard? [Re: Jimna]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Jimna
cat 5/6 termination is an art form much like macrame. Ive never seen an easy way to do it, just an inform method.

As Gonk mentioned, with any decent crimping tool, it's trivial to make cheap/reliable etherhose. Can't wait for the Monster version that will claim to use pixie dust to make the zeros rounder and the ones straighter for $100 per meter (and a cost of about 20 cents/foot to manufacture).

Best,

#84206 - 07/03/10 04:05 PM Re: HDBaseT the new standard? [Re: Ritz2]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
It wasn't the crimping that was the problem, it was threading the eight wires into the correct slots. The wires seemed to have a mind of their own when I slid them into the end of the connector with wrong wires in slots and two wires trying to share a slot. Maybe there are other connectors that open up to allow for easier insertion of the wires into their correct slots. When I had walls open I also ran four Cat 6 from my computer desk to my HT wall so those have to be terminated too but with female jacks. Does anyone have a recommended tutorial that describes the process as I'm clearly missing something. Thanks!

#84208 - 07/03/10 04:17 PM Re: HDBaseT the new standard? [Re: AvFan]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
I was a cable data and VOIP tech for the last 4 yrs, I have made hundreds of these cables. Its is a pain in the a$$ until you get the technique of how to hold your color groups in one hand between your thumb and finger in order, and then slide it right into a connector. It took me a few until it became easy, but by the hundredth or so they are second nature, you will do it while talking on a cellphone!

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#84214 - 07/04/10 08:59 AM Re: HDBaseT the new standard? [Re: Jimna]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Jimna
I was a cable data and VOIP tech for the last 4 yrs, I have made hundreds of these cables. Its is a pain in the a$$ until you get the technique of how to hold your color groups in one hand between your thumb and finger in order, and then slide it right into a connector. It took me a few until it became easy, but by the hundredth or so they are second nature, you will do it while talking on a cellphone!

It does take a few times to get your technique down, but it really isn't that hard. The "gotcha" is that some folks don't make sure the strands are all the way inside the connector before crimping....or folks that use connectors meant for stranded cable with solid core wire, etc.

The good news is that the cable is CHEAP and you can buy bags of 50 connectors for about $10.

Best,

#84218 - 07/04/10 04:25 PM Re: HDBaseT the new standard? [Re: gonk]
Smarty-pants Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
Terminating Cat5e and Cat6 is pretty easy with the right tool (I've done it quite a few times) and the results are reliable. I do prefer connectors with some protection (cap or side guards) for the locking clip, and at least with the crimping tool we have at work that's harder to obtain.

I took on the task of running some CAT5e cables in my home about a year ago.
On one hand, it is fairly easy to do, but you do have to have the right tool.
Some of the really cheap crimpers are not very good.
I thought I could just buy the cheapest one I could find, and it would be fine for a 1-day job, and maybe use it far a few cables in the future.
It was very hard to work with, but I ended up just buying a better one, and it was much better.
Still at the same, you have to figure how much does a decent tool, plus all the connectors and a box of wire all cost.
Most people will be better off just buying premade cables since they are very cheap.
I got into the DIY because my brother-in-law works for a telecommunications company and gave me the wire and connectors for free.

#84221 - 07/04/10 10:19 PM Re: HDBaseT the new standard? [Re: Smarty-pants]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The plus I can see for a system like this is for long runs. You can punch down onto wall jacks without special tools (the ones I've used came with a cheap but functional plastic punch-down tool) and use short pre-made cables - great solution for feeding front projectors.

#84253 - 07/09/10 02:17 PM Re: HDBaseT the new standard? [Re: Jimna]
charlie Offline
Desperado

Just comb out the wires into a flat plane and in the right order, cut them evenly and to the right length, slide on the connector and crimp. It's super easy.

#84256 - 07/09/10 09:25 PM Re: HDBaseT the new standard? [Re: charlie]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
I think it's good to buy crimpers with built in testers or have a tester. I've seen too many ethernet cables get setup and installed and then they figure out it's no good. Never pinch the cables and you can't pull it through rough like you might with electrical wires. Ethernet cables require a delicate touch.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM