Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 17 of 31 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31 >
Topic Options
#84025 - 06/20/10 10:23 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Smarty-pants]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Smarty-pants
Now, another possible scenario I may be interested in is the MCH and/or stereo analog inputs.
I have never owned an Outlaw avr or preamp, but is it correct that their processors are able to do bass management on the analog inputs without digitizing the audio?
I wonder if there will be similar type situation with the new model. T'would be nice if so.

Hard to say. Certainly on the Model 950 and Model 970/1070, they offered an analog bass management solution that was pretty convenient and unique - a rear panel toggle switch provided the option of engaging or not engaging an analog bass management circuit based around an 80Hz crossover point. The Model 990 was the only Outlaw processor not designed from the ground up by Outlaw (being derived from the Sherwood R-965/P-965 platform with some significant hardware and software modifications), and as a result it lacked the analog bass management. Instead, it had ADC's on the 7.1 analog input and applied the same digital bass management used for digital audio inputs. With multichannel audio sources now so heavily shifted to HDMI and some sort of comparable bass management offered by most of those players, the need for including it may have waned a bit compared to what we saw in 2002 (when the Model 950 arrived).

#84027 - 06/20/10 10:57 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
Smarty-pants Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
Originally Posted By: Smarty-pants
Now, another possible scenario I may be interested in is the MCH and/or stereo analog inputs.
I have never owned an Outlaw avr or preamp, but is it correct that their processors are able to do bass management on the analog inputs without digitizing the audio?
I wonder if there will be similar type situation with the new model. T'would be nice if so.

Hard to say. Certainly on the Model 950 and Model 970/1070, they offered an analog bass management solution that was pretty convenient and unique - a rear panel toggle switch provided the option of engaging or not engaging an analog bass management circuit based around an 80Hz crossover point. The Model 990 was the only Outlaw processor not designed from the ground up by Outlaw (being derived from the Sherwood R-965/P-965 platform with some significant hardware and software modifications), and as a result it lacked the analog bass management. Instead, it had ADC's on the 7.1 analog input and applied the same digital bass management used for digital audio inputs. With multichannel audio sources now so heavily shifted to HDMI and some sort of comparable bass management offered by most of those players, the need for including it may have waned a bit compared to what we saw in 2002 (when the Model 950 arrived).

Well sir, in that case, my proposal doesn't sound too promising.
In any case though, I would remind Outlaw that even though the digital interface of HDMI has definitely become the mainstream connection, there are still many users who like the analog audio sound.
Many of those users may choose a higher end amps and or preamps, and just as well, those with legacy gear forced to use analog connections to get the best sound with the latest audio codecs may not care if the analog connections are digitized.
However, there is that small-yet-significant crowd that may like to use analog for music, and hdmi for movies.
This crowd, and also the all-analog crowd, may want to use the analog connection in the processor but not appreciate the digitizing of the audio.
At the very least, I think Outlaw should offer a passthrough mode, even if the advanced BM for analog isn't there.

Personally, I use the 2CH analog output of the OPPO BDP-83SE for my 2CH music listening in my media room.
One reason what makes both Outlaw and OPPO such good companies with good products, is that for the most part, they have high quality products at reasonable prices for what the consumer receives in return compared to the overall a/v market.
This creates a situation where an enthusiast can have a very high quality setup for less out of pocket expense than what most "audiophile setups" typically cost.

However, if an analog user has to use different equipment in addition to something like the 998, then that makes the setup more costly, thus negating the best setup you can have for less out of pocket expense.
That, and the fact that it may force analog users to look elsewhere for a processor that is analog passthrough friendly.
My TX-SR805 that is now 4 yr old technology, is still an outstanding processor and MCH amp, and it offers at least passthrough for analog audio.

Now, if Outlaw were to have such outstanding world renown DACs in their 998, that even analog audio connections come out sounding better after digitizing, then maybe my whole point is moot.:D

#84029 - 06/20/10 11:06 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Smarty-pants]
gonk Offline
Desperado

It's all really too soon to tell, but I would expect some form of analog pass-through to exist. Certainly the presence of Trinnov would tend to steer most users toward a digital input anyway (at least for multichannel sources) but we'll have to wait to see what they decide to do for the analog inputs. We may see the Model 998 retain the rear panel toggle of earlier processors, or we may see something else entirely.

#84030 - 06/21/10 12:52 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
Smarty-pants Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk
It's all really too soon to tell...[/snip]

And so we wait.whistle I hate getting involved with a discussion like this so soon before a product is released.
It seems to make the wait then seem so much longer.crazy

#84046 - 06/21/10 07:06 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Smarty-pants]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
I know ethernet and wireless has been discussed, but I would love to see built in 802.11n/g/b and an ethernet port, but allow for internet connection sharing through both interfaces. In my house my internet connection is far away and then there's several access points. With ethernet sharing I could connect a hub or switch to the ethernet port and then connect my oppo and tv etc to the 998 and they'd all have access to the net. Conversely you could connect the ethernet directly to a router or modem and share the wireless with other devices such as the PS3, Wii, XBOX 360, iPad, phone or laptop. Granted I could buy a bridge and do essentially the same thing, but it would be nice to have this in 1 unit.

I could also see this as an add on option with a usb port on the back that allows you to purchase a wireless car separately.

#84061 - 06/22/10 05:45 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Smarty-pants]
redman6 Offline
Gunslinger

the problem is 2 inputs isn't enough.. how many external av switches do you want to integrate

if you look at my current setup you can understand why the need more external inputs is needed..

while I only got 1 component that uses composite I have a min of 10 items that can use s-video, component, stereo, multichan analog and spdif digital.. while I don't expect to see multiple multi chan analog connections, I think a mix of s-video component, stereo and spdif could be a nice a nice setup deal..

dvi is a good option though with hdmi being available dvi has become a obsolete connection for digital video which only has realms in the pc frat..

does anyone know of an rf-av converter box..

was planning to add the nes, sega's older consoles to the mix..

while my options might not be realistic for the US customers, I'd be a international customer looking for certain features where the size of the processor isn't a factor, larger the better is all I'll say at a reasonable price..

as for the network switch that was an optional feature where you may have a space constraint where it isn't possible to an external network switch, it is easy enough to plugin a daughter board than it is trying to add in a 8-24 port network switch..

an option of a plugin module to cater for all the network desires of each piece of hardware that has network connection..

all in all the expansion of the current network module is a need thit is required given the things we may want to connect to the processor..

Edited by redman6 (06/22/10 06:06 PM)

lounge

68cm sharp tv

joytech xbox 360 network av switch

xbox
xbox 360
ps2
ps3
n64
snes
cable box
vcr
joytech av switch
onkyo dv-cp 704
sony 5-disc dvd player
jvc s42-sl
lengend dvd player
yamaha tss-15 fibre linked for 5.1

pc with a yamaha tss-10 fibre linked for 5.1..

bed room
sony 32" dtv
sony dvp 390 brd
sharp dv-790

#84067 - 06/22/10 09:07 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: redman6]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Redman6, you need to look at the 990 on audiogon for the inputs you need. No one is going to build a new lagacy system like you need. It looks like you are big into video systems vice HT or audio. The 990 is likely to be overkill for what you need. Maybe you should check out a music retailer online as they may have gear more in line with what you need.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#84070 - 06/22/10 11:34 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: redman6]
gonk Offline
Desperado

We may be beating a dead horse here, but what the heck...

Originally Posted By: redman6
the problem is 2 inputs isn't enough.. how many external av switches do you want to integrate

What two inputs are you referring to? If you mean the Model 998, we have no definitive numbers on input quantities. If you mean the Model 990, the only input type limited to two is DVI. Based on your current equipment list, that might be perfectly satisfactory for your needs.

if you look at my current setup you can understand why the need more external inputs is needed..

while I only got 1 component that uses composite I have a min of 10 items that can use s-video, component, stereo, multichan analog and spdif digital..

Based on your equipment list, I count three that are limited to composite (SNES, N64, and VCR). As for the rest, I don't know the specific DVD player models in question well enough to know which ones offer component video only and which also offer HDMI. When using multiple DVD players, you will always need to figure out how to resolve connectivity - I speak as one who at one time had as many as three DVD players, an HD-DVD player, and a BD player in the system simultaneously (all run through a Model 990, I might add). The challenge relates to both audio and video, although with DVD players the audio is generally simplified: use coaxial or optical, unless it is a DVD-A, SACD, or Blu-ray player - in which case you'll want either multichannel analog or HDMI v1.1+.

while I don't expect to see multiple multi chan analog connections, I think a mix of s-video component, stereo and spdif could be a nice a nice setup deal..

No argument. It's all a matter of quantities. One 7.1 analog input is appropriate, as are a few component inputs, a few composite and/or s-video inputs, and some associated stereo analog inputs. I don't include coaxial and optical in that list, but they need to be there too - for analog video sourecs, audio-only sources, and even some digital video sources. I use coaxial digital audio with HDMI video from my HD cable box because the Onkyo 885 acquires the audio signal noticeably faster that way.

dvi is a good option though with hdmi being available dvi has become a obsolete connection for digital video which only has realms in the pc frat..

DVI isn't appropriate for inclusion in a new design, but DVI-to-HDMI cables and adapters are easy to come by and will allow HDMI video switching through the 990's DVI connections just fine. You don't have to be using a PC to use the DVI switching.

does anyone know of an rf-av converter box..

was planning to add the nes, sega's older consoles to the mix..

What you are looking for is an RF demodulator. In the US, Radio Shack usually sells them for about $20 or $30. An RF coaxial signal goes in, and composite video and stereo analog audio come out.

while my options might not be realistic for the US customers, I'd be a international customer looking for certain features where the size of the processor isn't a factor, larger the better is all I'll say at a reasonable price..

It's not a matter of US or overseas. It's a matter of the quantity of legacy inputs that you want to have built into a modern surround processor. As I've said (over and over and over again), it isn't economically justifiable to build something with all those inputs when most consumers are asking for those inputs to be phased out in favor of HDMI. The solution in your case, no matter how much it displeases you, is one or two large external switches with IR control and a good universal remote that supports macros. That combination can provide seamless automation even with the abnormally large number of sources you are interested in connecting.

as for the network switch that was an optional feature where you may have a space constraint where it isn't possible to an external network switch, it is easy enough to plugin a daughter board than it is trying to add in a 8-24 port network switch..

an option of a plugin module to cater for all the network desires of each piece of hardware that has network connection..

all in all the expansion of the current network module is a need thit is required given the things we may want to connect to the processor..

Simply designing a daughter board that integrates into the rear panel and provides an optional network switch (whether 8-port or larger) adds cost, even before you factor in the cost of the daughter board itself for customers who want it. I haven't priced network switches in Australia, but in the US a network switch large enough to serve a very sophisticated home theater can be had for under $60. That is, quite simply, the most graceful and cost-effective solution for 99.99% of users. It costs about what Outlaw would have to charge for a "daughter board" or integral switch - probably less than Outlaw would have to charge - and only the folks who need it will have to pay for it. Personally, I don't need it. I've got a five-port switch behind my computer monitor that connects to the four network drops I installed behind my equipment rack, and those four drops meet my current needs with some room for growth.

#84071 - 06/23/10 12:55 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
Smarty-pants Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

RF (de)modulator

Not to be confused with the PU-36 Space Modulator

#84073 - 06/23/10 06:26 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Smarty-pants]
redman6 Offline
Gunslinger

well i still got gear that is pre hdmi I wish to use..

economically adding the daughter board lan the may not be warranted, though I thought it was a nice option to have, considering all the items coming out with networking features and existing hardware that already has it as standard.

most processors come with network port
what's the harm adding 8, 16 or 24-48 ports..
for 10/100 gear starts about $50 for a 5-8 port
gigabit pending on switch features starts about $250 for 8ports, 450+ 16ports, $500-1,500+ 24-48 ports..

lounge

68cm sharp tv

joytech xbox 360 network av switch

xbox
xbox 360
ps2
ps3
n64
snes
cable box
vcr
joytech av switch
onkyo dv-cp 704
sony 5-disc dvd player
jvc s42-sl
lengend dvd player
yamaha tss-15 fibre linked for 5.1

pc with a yamaha tss-10 fibre linked for 5.1..

bed room
sony 32" dtv
sony dvp 390 brd
sharp dv-790

Page 17 of 31 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts