Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#8401 - 08/02/04 01:09 PM Ceiling speaker suggestions
cbell2112 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mt Pleasant, SC USA
I am nearing the final stages of construction and need to pick some ceiling speakers. I will need 8 sets and then 2 pairs of wall mountable/outdoor speakers for the garage and back deck and 1 set of smaller than bookshelf type speakers for the living room. These will be powered by the last 2 channels of my Outlaw 770 since my main system will only be 5.1(let me know if you thank that will work out also). The
builders budget is about $150 a set and I probably need to stay under $200/set in most rooms just b/c of the sheer number of speakers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#8402 - 08/02/04 01:50 PM Re: Ceiling speaker suggestions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are some threads floating around here on in-wall/in-ceiling speakers and on whole-house speaker setups like yours. This recent thread might be useful if you haven't already read through it. I know that some of Paradigm's entry-level CS Series are close to your price range, and you might be able to get a Paradigm dealer to knock a few percent off for an order that size. Paradigm's also got an indoor/outdoor line ( Stylus ), and you could go with either Stylus or something like the Atom or Titan for the garage and living room. There may be a couple other manufacturers in that thread that are priced comparably. For that matter, you might elect to go with some really cheap speakers in a few rooms (something junky from Radio Shack) and focus on better speakers for other rooms - not the best solution, but something that may let you get the performance you want in the most critical spaces.

As for driving eleven sets of speakers from a single amp, I'm not sure of the logistics. I know there was some discussion of it earlier in your design process (page one of this thread ), and I think it is pretty much guaranteed that you'll want something like a Niles hub to handle all those speakers - there will need to be something between the 770 and the speakers.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#8403 - 08/02/04 03:32 PM Re: Ceiling speaker suggestions
cbell2112 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mt Pleasant, SC USA
Thanks for the reply Gonk.

The speakers that my wiring guy uses are M&S.

http://www.nutonesales.com/msspeaker.html

Do you know anything about those. They seem moderately priced and might be fine. It's just there are a kazillion different variations and pretty wide price point.

Thanks again.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts