Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#83981 - 06/17/10 07:48 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: refurb
Well, "Audiophile" has become kind of a dirty word with me. It all too often denotes the pinky-extended, uptight, snobbish individual that has some serious obsessions with gear. especially, expensive stuff. I am more of a music lover. I like musical sounding systems at any price... not just the $20K amps and $60K speakers.

I can relate to that. I've been leery of using the term myself, both because it lacks a good definition and because I always feel like I would need to know more than I already do to be a "competent" audiophile. I enjoy movies and music. Sometimes I enjoy them a lot. Other times, I enjoy the idea of having time for them but don't get much chance to actually listen/watch.

Apple lossless vs FLAC? Itunes vs EAC? Too many variables for me to make a call as to which is better.

Either route is a lot more appealing than lossy solutions, certainly. I'd have to experiment a lot to prove to myself which was sonically superior and most convenient. So far, though, I've settled for staying with physical media for most of my home listening - MP3 serves its purpose for in the car and background tunes at work, but even my wife recognizes the effects of lossy compression with some of her music.

#83982 - 06/17/10 08:10 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: gonk]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

I think it comes down to the fact that most people listen to mp3's through cheap headphones, pc speakers or a standard car stereo while they are otherwise occupied. Driving, running, working out. The caliber of speakers/headphones they have tends to limit playback quality regardless. Lossless is definitely a concern if you are going to be passively listening while seated or reading. I'd say lossless is a waste of time if it's not given a decent playback system. IE: no apple earbuds.

I decided to use a lossless format on a PC as a music server. That way, I can eq in the digital domain if needed. I can also eliminate a lot of variables in terms of CD player. I was listening to a FLAC of Allison Krauss, and the detail I have heard coming from a $3K cd player is all there.

#83987 - 06/17/10 11:08 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
My bet would be an eventual flame war. In the 1,024 times I have seen such a debate, it becomes a chest-puffing contest and who has the most expensive rig.
but consider your surroundings, we are here because Outlaw provides a value for the buck, not ridiculously priced gear. This might just be the right environment for a good conversation on the subject.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#83989 - 06/18/10 03:02 AM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Jimna
but consider your surroundings, we are here because Outlaw provides a value for the buck, not ridiculously priced gear. This might just be the right environment for a good conversation on the subject.

I thought the same thing of other forums. I thought "Why would someone that only likes ultra-expensive gear be here at all?" But it turned out that although the forums were about most gear under $7 grand, some individuals liked to hang out there because it was a second or third system. That, and I think they enjoyed lording expensive gear over the younger folks that didn't have it. If you can make such a thread work...good luck. It would be nice to see cooler heads prevail.

#83996 - 06/18/10 02:25 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

well I did, its in the 'outlaw to outlaw' section. seems rather friendly so far, check it out.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#84001 - 06/18/10 07:19 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

So far, so good.

#84028 - 06/20/10 10:58 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

I just spent a rainy Sunday ripping dozens of cd's to apple lossless. I have gotten the majority of "essential" recordings for listening done. Now I have to twiddle my thumbs and wait for my rr 2150.

#84041 - 06/21/10 02:56 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

I finished mine last week. Second time too, I was foolish enough to rip it all to mp3 for the car the first time, thinking I would still prefer spinning the CDs at home. But now all my CDs are EAC'ed and flac'ed. I have 8TB of music now in my network. I love this direction media has gone, all my music is so easy to find and I never have the huge mess of cd cases lying around either after a good listening session.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

#84042 - 06/21/10 03:14 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Question about Apple loss-less vs. FLAC. Is there any SQ difference between them when just being used on a iPod/iPhone with a pair of Ultimate Ears. I only use this for traveling but I want the best SQ I can get under these conditions.

I don't have a media server yet as I am waiting for someone to come up with a media server that will serve SACDs or DVD-As. Most of my home listening is on that media and not Redbook CDs. Unfortunately, SACDs and DVD-As seem to be a dieing technology so I don't think there will be media servers supporting those formats. Maybe, if/when the music industry goes to Bleu Ray for high definition audio someone will come up with one then.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#84044 - 06/21/10 05:17 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: mdrconsult]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

I will let you know if FLAC (Ripped with EAC and winamp) has any sonic difference between it and Apple lossless. My guess is no, but we shall see.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts