Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#83964 - 06/16/10 06:41 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

Win vista crashed and burned on my sony vaio flac server. Time for ubuntu.

#83967 - 06/17/10 06:27 AM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Well, I don't have an iPod (believe it or else, my cell, an old Nokia E61i, has a fine music player…not that I use it). But the iTunes on my laptop definitely has an AIFF option. Like most things audio, I came upon it kinda by accident. I almost fell off my chair when I pushed the first AIFF file I copied through my Sennheiser HD280 Pros. It was the rumbling bass that opens vibraphonist Walt Dickerson's To My Queen, and it actually sounded like thunder compared to the mp3. Ever since I've used the lossless file format, though I convert things down to mp3s if I have to send a track to a friend…(I know, I know, 'Why would I do that to someone I'm s'posed to like?', but e-mailing tracks larger than 20MBs isn't easy).

One other thing, refurb: You needn't worry about "upsetting" the gunslingers around here with your insights. In my experience, they're a pretty insightful bunch themselves…and so far very few folks have been told to get out of Dodge by sundown.

Btw, your next shot of sarsaparilla's on me.

#83968 - 06/17/10 06:59 AM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: tru blu]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

Sasperiller!

I found since the inter-thingie has existed that some audio folks can be wound up like a top. The mere mention of anything they don't agree with and subjectivity devolves into a personal flame war. "What??? how DARE YOU suggest 320 isn't cd quality!!!! GAHHHH!!!!"

I did the same thing. The 1st album I ripped into lossless was Al Dimeolas "Kiss my axe". Even at 320, bass energy and ambient detail (along with high frequency information that describes materials like wood, metal etc) was just not there. I had to turn my ipod down because the dynamics were that much more powerful.

BTW: my old sony viao that I *was* going to use lunched a scsi controller. It's all proprietary, and not cost effective to fix. It's better to use my new netbook and if needed, and external HD for FLAC playback.

#83971 - 06/17/10 11:56 AM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: refurb
Sasperiller!

I found since the inter-thingie has existed that some audio folks can be wound up like a top. The mere mention of anything they don't agree with and subjectivity devolves into a personal flame war. "What??? how DARE YOU suggest 320 isn't cd quality!!!! GAHHHH!!!!"

you should hang with a higher class of audiophile.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#83973 - 06/17/10 01:13 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:

They crawl out of the woodwork on forums.

#83974 - 06/17/10 04:08 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted By: Jimna

Damn…I think that might cancel me out.grin

#83976 - 06/17/10 05:33 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: tru blu]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

Well, "Audiophile" has become kind of a dirty word with me. It all too often denotes the pinky-extended, uptight, snobbish individual that has some serious obsessions with gear. especially, expensive stuff. I am more of a music lover. I like musical sounding systems at any price... not just the $20K amps and $60K speakers.

#83977 - 06/17/10 06:08 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

I just downloaded the latest itunes, and set the import to "Apple lossless" and "error correction on". It seems to be ripping faster than EAC, and retains all the tune information.

#83978 - 06/17/10 06:21 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: refurb]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: refurb
I just downloaded the latest itunes, and set the import to "Apple lossless" and "error correction on". It seems to be ripping faster than EAC, and retains all the tune information.
nothing is better than EAC, faster maybe but not better.

and I guess I was all wrong anyway, if they were a true audiophile they wouldnt argue mp3 quality.

"audiophile" seems mean different things to different folks, and I see a trend in opinions by the individuals investment. I am a music lover first audiophile second, at least thats my take on it.

I should start a thread on "are you an audiophile", might get some cool answers...or a flame war. cool

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#83979 - 06/17/10 06:26 PM Re: FLAC instead of MP3...made simple [Re: Jimna]
refurb Offline
Gunslinger

My bet would be an eventual flame war. In the 1,024 times I have seen such a debate, it becomes a chest-puffing contest and who has the most expensive rig.

Me? I like everything from NHT superzeros and up. Dynamics, Horns, ribbons, planars, stat's, plasma...they are all good- they all have something to offer.

Apple lossless vs FLAC? Itunes vs EAC? Too many variables for me to make a call as to which is better.

My sony dying was a blessing in disguise. It caused a ground loop hum and noise in my system that my netbook and ipod do not. So at least I don't need to iron that out.

Edited by refurb (06/17/10 07:35 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts