Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8377 - 07/26/04 07:21 PM BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: lake mary, fl, USA
I am considering adding these to my family room theater, but was concerned about the amp needed to drive them. The BKs suggest 400+ watts to drive and the BSs suggest no more that 50 watts to drive (in the manual) The BKs can be ordered with a "specially designed" amp to drive them, but the thing will have to be hidden - it's butt ugly!

Would I be better off driving a couple of BSs with a M200 or doing the BK w/amp combo for $550? I don't think I can get the "in home" demo on these either of these units.

Comment welcome.

Thanks,

PhatLac.

#8378 - 07/26/04 07:28 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Are you looking to add these devices because your subwoofer isn’t giving you enough rumble? By the way, what kind of subwoofer do you have? With around $550, I think you can get yourself a sub that can make you not think about adding these kicker or shaker.

#8379 - 07/26/04 09:29 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

SVS PC-Ultra in the family room theater. It definitely gives me enough rumble. The room is about 7K cubic feet in size and the SVS pretty much rumbles the rafters, windows, and badly placed china.

The BSs or the BKs attached to the seating would just make things a bit more fun!

PhatLac.

#8380 - 07/26/04 09:41 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000334.html

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#8381 - 07/26/04 09:53 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiker:
With around $550, I think you can get yourself a sub that can make you not think about adding these kicker or shaker.

Nope, it just ain't the same. I don't care how good your sub is, they aren't "tactile transducers". It's a different experience.

I use LFM-1 AND Aura Bass Shakers.

------------------
Tekdredger

#8382 - 07/26/04 10:14 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Phatlac,

The Bass Shakers seem very easy to drive which makes me wonder why the Butt Kickers are so power hungry. I bought my Bass Shakers from Parts Express a few years ago and they came in a kit including amps and a wiring harness. I think the kit was originally designed to be marketed to video gamers. Anyway, the amps are quite small, similar to a small car stereo amp with a separate 12V transformer. The transformers are some real bricks, no little wall warts here. The amps also have level controls and some filter settings. I don't know if you could find these anymore but I think an M-200 would be way overkill. If you have an old receiver collecting dust I'd give that a whirl first. Just about any old amp would work I think. Maybe pick up something used. I'm sure the Butt Kickers are a better product and so are the Clark Synthesis products but if you just wanna have some fun the Bass Shakers are cheap and easy. And I found them to be much better than I was anticipating when I ordered them.

------------------
Tekdredger

#8383 - 07/28/04 02:40 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I have the LFM-1 and my room isn't really all that big, but seeing as a pair of Bass Shaker Pros can be had on Ebay for $40, ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=5711132062&rd=1 watch the word wrap) my interest has been piqued. I did a search at Parts Express and didn't come up with anything on the Bass Shakers or the kit that Tek mentioned.

Tek, if you don't mind my asking, how much did you spend on your kit that included everything? Does Parts Express still sell the amps, transformer and wiring harness that came with your kit?

Thanks

#8384 - 07/28/04 04:43 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

kugumby,

I bought the kit about 3 years ago and I haven't seen it available anywhere since. I think I paid about $60 for the whole mess, pretty good deal I think. It came with the smaller drivers, not the Pro version you linked. By the way, both versions are available at Parts Express, just type aura into the keyword search engine.

$40/pr on ebay looks good but did you notice the $13.99 shipping charge?

------------------
Tekdredger

[This message has been edited by tekdredger (edited July 28, 2004).]

#8385 - 07/28/04 10:58 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I have a couple of the BS in my setup and power them by inexpensive amp. I have been very happy with them. Although I don't run them all the time.

http://groups.msn.com/MeanGenesHome/hometheater.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=91

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#8386 - 07/30/04 01:57 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Thanks for the info, guys. You know, my wife HAS been asking me what I'd like for my birthday

[This message has been edited by kugumby (edited July 30, 2004).]

#8387 - 07/30/04 04:43 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
phatlac Offline
Gunslinger

Smarthome just happen to have an auction the other day on these - got 'em for $45/pair (bought two pair!) Shipping was $7 bucks.

I just might get an extra M200 to drive them - gotta have some reason to buy more Outlaw gear!

I hope there is not and issue "splitting" my sub-out signal. Is there???

. . .and thanks everyone for the feedback and comments.

PhatLac.

#8388 - 08/01/04 02:20 PM Re: BassShaker svs. ButtKickers.
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
no issue with splitting your sub pre-out one time.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts