Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31 >
Topic Options
#83012 - 03/18/10 11:17 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: gonk]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
And perhaps a series of onscreen menu's, one for "normal everday" usage that family members might see and a "configuration set of menu's that might include all of the options. As long as we are at it, how about an XML based configuration, so that not only the default and current versions of the configuration file are saved but previous versions. That way if you make a tweak and it doesn't work out, not everything is lost.

Gonk - I know you seem to be worried about the cost/complications, but as I read what people want, the more it seems like an embedded Linux control system is the easiest way to get there. Heck if Outlaw really wanted to do it right, they could have an option to run remote support (with the owner's approval) and perhaps run a series of diagnostic programs/review log files that would not involve shipping the product back and forth. If a unit was found to have a bug, they might even be able to put on or test patch code on the problem unit (again with the owner's approval).

Edited by 73Bruin (03/18/10 03:04 PM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#83014 - 03/18/10 11:45 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: sluggo]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: sluggo
How about a well-thought-out and organized onscreen menu system? Prepros have become way too sophisticated now to be held back by these clunky, nonintuitive interfaces you see out there. I don't mean just nice and shiny - the Denon 3808 in my BR has a nice looking interface that's still confusing as hell. It's all about finding what you need without looking through every submenu out there.

And while we're on the subject...an iphone/ipod touch app (like the one that Pioneer has for their upcoming line of receivers) would be soooo nice. Not likely, I know...but who wouldn't buy the 998 if one was made available?
i have a 3808 also and i thought the GUI was well done. the network player sucks and is the worst software ever, but navigating the functions of the unit are quite good IMO.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#83020 - 03/18/10 06:30 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: Jimna]
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Originally Posted By: Jimna
i have a 3808 also and i thought the GUI was well done. the network player sucks and is the worst software ever, but navigating the functions of the unit are quite good IMO.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Compared to the unit it replaced, the Denon was a revelation. However, I don't use my bedroom system as often or tweak it as much as my main system, and even though I read the manual through when I bought it, I still have trouble finding what I want in the menu.

That being said, you're more likely to find competent interface designers in the web trades, not electronics manufacturing, and that bears out in many examples even today, so from that aspect the ones that try are to be commended. I hate to bang the Apple drum here, but one reason their products are so well liked is that the interfaces are generally consistent and structured in a way that's rewarding to the user. You find a few phones that ape the iphone form factor, but you find a lot that ape its interfaces. That's what I'd ideally want - an interface that every other manufacturer would want to mimic.

I know I'm asking a lot, but with the money we plunk down on prepros/receivers/etc and as customer-centric as Outlaw is, I'd like to think they will see room for improvement there.

#83021 - 03/18/10 06:35 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: sluggo]
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
PS Jinma...your concert photos are very impressive. You must use some fast glass.

#83027 - 03/19/10 01:07 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: sluggo]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
thanks! Go support live music!

i would guess your unfamiliarity is why you dont like the GUI. but as i hear folks requesting a network media player i cant help but discredit it. if a company with deep pockets for R&D like Denon cant seem to put out a unit that works smoothly then Outlaw might be better served to concentrate on the key needs of a pre/pro instead of all the extra possible features(which will never end to add to the list). so far i have yet to see any device function as well as a Squeezebox or Sonos for network audio, so why not add that key component to your system as a separate? after all we all see the advantage to separates right? IMO this is the exact downfall of all the big names, they try to over load the unit extras and never give you real quality anything.

....a side note, i heard a roomer that the graphics were contracted to apple for all the on-screen of the 3808's generation AVRs, hence the pretty appearance. not sure that was ever a concrete fact though.

Edited by Jimna (03/19/10 01:21 AM)

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#83038 - 03/19/10 01:34 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: SRW1000]
scissorfighter Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well, it's pretty hard to make feature suggestions for a product that's so far out on the timeline, so I'll just keep it simple and say "not made in China." Go for Japan or better. There's a new technical feature on the block every 6 weeks these days, but build quality can last a lifetime.

#83040 - 03/19/10 02:05 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: scissorfighter]
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
FWIW, the issue with receiver interfaces is that you don't really have much processing power to work with, so your options are quite limited. The CPU muscle in those things is specialized for audio/video processing, not interface design.

#83065 - 03/21/10 10:37 AM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: bobliinds]
beard Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Please put the jack for the Trinnov calibration microphone on the front. Getting to the back panel can be a real pain in some installations.

PS, I think you've handled the whole 997 situation well. I was planning on the 997 but was getting cold feet as it was getting left behind by newer technology advances (other than the Trinnov processing).

#83071 - 03/21/10 06:47 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: beard]
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: beard
Please put the jack for the Trinnov calibration microphone on the front. Getting to the back panel can be a real pain in some installations.).

You are absolutely right. Not only will the Trinnov microphone jack be on the front panel, but we will also provide a longer cable.

Peter

#83083 - 03/22/10 01:45 PM Re: Feature Suggestions? [Re: SRW1000]
rbpett Offline
Gunslinger

- Balanced outputs

- 5 HDMI inputs (or more)

- Gigabit ethernet (reason below)

- Media library streamer! It would be so awesome if there was a GUI with an easy file/folders view of a PC on the network and stream all my music to the 998. All formats too - from .mp3 to .wav to mulit-channel flac. That would be HUGE. Maybe if licensing and costs are an issue with this, an "option" for this could be offered at a higher price to justify your costs?

Thanks Outlaw! We are still behind you. Glad you are going back to how you used to do things.
Vizio 75" P75-C1 4k display
Currently 3.0 surround with 51" Martin Logan ESL for L/R, Martin Logan Motif-X for Center (will do full 5.1 eventually, just haven't had time yet)
Apple TV 4k
Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray
TiVo Series 4
PS4
Motorola QIP7232 2 Cable Box

Page 4 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 30 31 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts