Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
cheers! good listening ahead.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#82891 - 03/13/10 08:57 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: XenonMan]
ljpchp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Sorry if you think I am trolling

just pissed I guess

yes I am moving on

I will not say anything more bad about outlaw

good luck to you all

#82893 - 03/13/10 09:01 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: ljpchp]
ljpchp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
I guess I am a little pissed and suprised at how accepting you all are

I will let you guys get back to saying how great outlaw is

all in fun

later

#82897 - 03/13/10 11:41 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: gonk]
Beemer533 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: gonk
Originally Posted By: ljpchp
I read the specs on the 998 and they already look behind and do you belive the end of 2010 delivery date. I doubt it.

I'm curious what you see in the specs that already looks behind. HDMI v1.4a was published last month. Trinnov is still new tech for the consumer market. PLIIz has been available for maybe a little over six months or so (don't recall a specific date).

You may be talking about network support. There's no mention of network connectivity, but even if it's not present that's a philosophical debate. We see folks wanting this sort of support in Blu-ray players and surround receivers. We even see it in HDTV's. Do we really want to own three or four different devices that can all access a DLNA server? Onkyo's been adhering to a "kitchen sink" approach to receiver design for several years now - if they see a feature that they might be able to shoe-horn in there, they add it. They're a bit obsessive that way. That doesn't mean every manufacturer should follow the same formula. Personally, I think that it starts to forget one of the benefits of separates. If I want a good network media appliance, I can get a separate unit - just like I already do for a Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, and game console.

I've done firmware updates via network and USB. Both have their advantages. Some folks actually prefer the USB approach, as it tends to be faster and you have less chance of a power outage bricking the unit. USB also avoids the conundrum many folks still face of how to get a network connection at their equipment rack. From that standpoint, USB is easier to support. I'm equally content to do either.

I've been quietly following the 972/997 for a while. I was starting to look at separates right around the 997 being announced; after seeing the issues over the last few months with the 972, I can't say I'm surprised by the cancellation. Personally I think it is a good move.

As far as network connectivity, the idea of having an AVR or AVP that can stream media from a server is a nice option for those that don't want another device. For me though, i already have a dedicated PC for this job.

What I do want a network connection for (besides updates) is control; I'm in the process of switching over to iRule with an ipod touch for my HT remote. Being able to control equipment via LAN is pretty cool; no IR extenders or anything, just wifi and a lan cable and you are good to go. If Outlaw implements network control that would be the best use of LAN IMHO.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the 998!

#82899 - 03/13/10 01:32 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: AGAssarsson]
skiman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Golden. Colorado
Originally Posted By: AGAssarsson
[quote=rubbersoul]

3) the price point and promotional pricing of the Model 998 will be essentially the same as the aborted Model 997 ...

The announcement from Outlaw states:

Quote:
Barring any unforeseen complications or component price increases, this new processor will be close to the price range of the Model 997.

So we'll see just how close "close" is.

I agree that there must have been many contractual reasons, the details of which have not been released, for the delay in finally pulling the plug. Sure will be interesting to see the impact of Outlaw's decision on the 972.

#82919 - 03/14/10 12:03 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: gonk]
HitchHiker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Delaware
You may be talking about network support. There's no mention of network connectivity, but even if it's not present that's a philosophical debate. We see folks wanting this sort of support in Blu-ray players and surround receivers. We even see it in HDTV's. Do we really want to own three or four different devices that can all access a DLNA server? Onkyo's been adhering to a "kitchen sink" approach to receiver design for several years now - if they see a feature that they might be able to shoe-horn in there, they add it. They're a bit obsessive that way. That doesn't mean every manufacturer should follow the same formula. Personally, I think that it starts to forget one of the benefits of separates. If I want a good network media appliance, I can get a separate unit - just like I already do for a Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, and game console.

I hear you and understand. That said, the future clearly indicates that with the increasing penetration of broadband and with TB disks selling for well under $100.00, the need to buy physical media is becoming unnecessary. Already, with the advent of iPods and MP3 players, more and more people purchase music via the internet. Movies are going the same route, although more slowly given the much larger sizes of DVD's. Also, the pre-pro is the "center" of most a/v systems. Could I invest in another media device to handle the DLNA streams? Yes, but that's one more device I have to have in my a/v system, one more device to remote control, etc. I'd much rather have the pre-pro be able to stream media, especially music. Again, just my .02! smile

HitchHiker

#82920 - 03/14/10 12:10 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: HitchHiker]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Do you want it in the pre/pro (which may or may not already have a use for a network connection)? Or do you want it in the Blu-ray player, which because of BD-Live has a legitimate "need" for a network connection? I ask because I've been watching the tremendous debate surrounding and pressure regarding inclusion of network streaming capabilities in BD players since last year. We've been talking off and on for a few years now about a pre/pro as a media client, but in the last year the emphasis on these sorts of features in Blu-ray players has picked up a ton. Personally, I think that we're shoe-horning unnecessary functionality into the device either way, but if we've got the shoe-horn out, I wonder if the attention makes more sense aimed at a BD player?

#82922 - 03/14/10 04:15 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: gonk]
ryck Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: saratoga springs,ny,usa
IMO: My Tv, PS-3, VUDU and Blu-ray player all are hooked up to the internet. Other than the ease of updating firmware,I don't see the need. I like having separate units for specific functions. I also have a universal remote for control of all(so another unit is not a hassle). Music is not a main function for my needs in a processor. I think including the ability to receive satellite radio like the PR-SC886 would be good.

#82924 - 03/14/10 11:37 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: gonk]
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Do you want it in the pre/pro (which may or may not already have a use for a network connection)? Or do you want it in the Blu-ray player, which because of BD-Live has a legitimate "need" for a network connection? I ask because I've been watching the tremendous debate surrounding and pressure regarding inclusion of network streaming capabilities in BD players since last year. We've been talking off and on for a few years now about a pre/pro as a media client, but in the last year the emphasis on these sorts of features in Blu-ray players has picked up a ton. Personally, I think that we're shoe-horning unnecessary functionality into the device either way, but if we've got the shoe-horn out, I wonder if the attention makes more sense aimed at a BD player?

I fall in the camp of wanting the connectivity in the unit itself. After having purchased one Squeezebox, I really don't want to have to buy another to extend the functionality, especially when the new owner Logitech keeps reducing the quality of the DACs. Having some sort of embedded Linux system (in conjunction with network connectivity and firmware refreshes) seems like an excellent way to gain significant flexibility and future proofing for the entire system. After all, its not like Oppo has added the capability to use Netflix to its BD-83.

Edited by 73Bruin (03/14/10 11:40 AM)
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#82933 - 03/14/10 06:01 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: 73Bruin]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
This is one of my pet peeves. Why would we want multiple pieces of equipment in our systems with redundant functionality ?
If you have a DVD/blue ray player, an AV receiver/pre-pro and an HD TV in your system, you probably have 3 sets of video scaling software. This is of no benifit to anyone and drives costs up for everyone.
We use components to get the best-of-breed for each function, redundancy is simply a waste of recources that eventually drives the price up.
If Wi-fi has become the province of DVD/Blue Ray players , why duplicate it in your pre-pro ?
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts