Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#82846 - 03/12/10 03:31 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: AGAssarsson]
HitchHiker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Delaware
I can't say I'm in the market for a new pre-pro in the very near future. I was looking more and more at an Onkyo/Integra solution for one primary reason. A year ago I moved all of my media to a Windows Home Server (WHS), all dubbed in lossless WMA format for audio and ISO files for video. For this reason, any pre-pro that I may purchase will almost assuredly have to be DLNA 1.5+ certified so that I can stream music and video from my WHS. The Integra DHC-40.1 and 80.1 are already DLNA certified. Given the 998 will most likely not be available until 2011, I would highly recommend any new product ship with an ethernet port for upgradability and with DLNA compliance. If Outlaw can deliver a product sometime in 2011 with DLNA compliance, they would most likely get my business again (current 990 owner). Just my .02! smile

HitchHiker

#82848 - 03/12/10 03:34 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: gonk]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
I'm excited and I'm going to wait. They're putting nearly all the goodies I want and some that I didn't know I want.

#82850 - 03/12/10 03:43 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: Retep]
ljpchp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Hitchhiker

FYI

I connected the Onkyo PR-SC5507P to my home network last night and after doing a flawless and painless (no USB drive needed as touted by Outlaw as a new feature on the 998, they are already behind) update to the firmware I searched for music. I have all my music in FLAC and on various computers and a NAS throughout the house. It worked beutifully. It found the files fast and played them beautifully.

I read the specs on the 998 and they already look behind and do you belive the end of 2010 delivery date. I doubt it.

#82856 - 03/12/10 04:49 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: ljpchp]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: ljpchp
I read the specs on the 998 and they already look behind and do you belive the end of 2010 delivery date. I doubt it.

I'm curious what you see in the specs that already looks behind. HDMI v1.4a was published last month. Trinnov is still new tech for the consumer market. PLIIz has been available for maybe a little over six months or so (don't recall a specific date).

You may be talking about network support. There's no mention of network connectivity, but even if it's not present that's a philosophical debate. We see folks wanting this sort of support in Blu-ray players and surround receivers. We even see it in HDTV's. Do we really want to own three or four different devices that can all access a DLNA server? Onkyo's been adhering to a "kitchen sink" approach to receiver design for several years now - if they see a feature that they might be able to shoe-horn in there, they add it. They're a bit obsessive that way. That doesn't mean every manufacturer should follow the same formula. Personally, I think that it starts to forget one of the benefits of separates. If I want a good network media appliance, I can get a separate unit - just like I already do for a Blu-ray player, cable/satellite box, and game console.

I've done firmware updates via network and USB. Both have their advantages. Some folks actually prefer the USB approach, as it tends to be faster and you have less chance of a power outage bricking the unit. USB also avoids the conundrum many folks still face of how to get a network connection at their equipment rack. From that standpoint, USB is easier to support. I'm equally content to do either.

#82860 - 03/12/10 05:19 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: gonk]
Robert Holloway Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: SF Cal
Sad news for the people who waited and even those of us who didn't.

I applaud the announcement but do wonder why the inevitable took so long. I wish Outlaw nothing but well, but the processor market is feature driven and moving at great pace. The bigger brands seem to be refreshing at regular intervals and the cycle seems to actually be getting even quicker.

Outlaw is not in the extreme high end, so I do worry about these slow product development cycles.

Good luck
Rob
3 Naim 135 amps
Sony Blu Ray
Mac Pro
Sony PS3
3 B&W full range spkrs
4 Kef full range spkrs
2 REL Stentor sub bass units :-)

#82861 - 03/12/10 05:28 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: gonk]
ljpchp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Yes I am referring to USB in lieu of a network connection. I disagree. The network connection not only offers a very easy way to update firmware (lov it on the Oppo unit as well), but allows things like music server ability and internet radio connection. My high end stereo system will have a PS Audio Perfect DAC and Bridge as soon as they are finished (I have more trust in them, especially since I seen heard and played with the prototype at CES) so I understand your point on seperates, but for my HT system I do not need a sperate unit to play FLAC files. I listened to the ONKYO and it sounds very, very good and I have a discerning ear.

I also like internet radio. Not the normally internet radio of various stations with various content, I mean Pandora radio. It connected to my existing pandora account and started to play songs and styles Pandora knows I like, this was way cool and sounded a lot better than from my PC. However it is only mp3 quality but with the various "kitchen sink" dolby/THX/DTS surrond settings and the Audessy Multi EQ 8 point correction it sounded pretty darn good.

As for other things, who knows as they have given us little real detail as of now (what DACS, what video chip, 9.2, 7.1?), which leads me to belive they do not know the detail right now.

I promise that if they get a new funtional improved processor out by the end of the year as promised in the email I will come on this forum and eat my words.

#82863 - 03/12/10 06:39 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: ljpchp]
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: ljpchp

I promise that if they get a new funtional improved processor out by the end of the year as promised in the email I will come on this forum and eat my words.

That would be grrrrrrrrrrreat!

I have to say, I think you're trolling a bit. I see post after post in several threads of you bashing Outlaw. I understand you're disappointed and upset, but you've moved on, so move on.

Edited by Retep (03/12/10 06:39 PM)

#82874 - 03/12/10 11:48 PM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: gonk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I think I jumped ship at the right time. I got the 886 in November in the big sale. With 3D coming out all the big displays that are currently out there without it are going to get cheaper faster. I don't want 3D so 1.4 is not needed at this point. I will not watch a movie at home with those stupid glasses on my face so I can see a special effect which is going to cost big $$$ for very little. I have settled in for the long haul and won't need any more front gear for a while.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#82877 - 03/13/10 12:05 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: XenonMan]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree with Retep, move on, this is the Outlaw forum. If you can't contain your boundless mirth at their expense, get over to the Onkyo forum which lets you in for free to bash them all you want. Oh, my mistake, there isn't one is there? Get over yourself. I jumped ship to the 886 but in a few years I may need a new processor. Also, good luck when your 2 year warranty is up, finding someone who can fix your 5507 at a decent rate. Get over to AVSforum and read all the wonderful things they have to say about Onkyos' firmware update methods. I had mine sent back to Outlaw at the Outlaws' expense to get the latest firmware installed and had it back in my system in less than 10 days. I love the idea of just using a USB port on the front of the unit to update the firmware. If it is fast and painless then the firmware won't be so scary to update and new versions will be able to be put out all the time.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#82881 - 03/13/10 02:44 AM Re: Going, Going, Gone ... [Re: rubbersoul]
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Originally Posted By: rubbersoul

Perhaps Outlaw wanted to make this move some time ago and for legal reasons was holding back and was patiently waiting for the time to pitch their ball.

Originally Posted By: tkntz

We don't know when the decision was made, nor do we know when they were allowed to make an announcement. They had a contract with Inkel. None of us know if the contract allowed them an out at any time and none of us know if they were contractually bound by a non-disclosure agreement.

I am confident that rubbersoul and tkntz are on target here. I was up all last night working so the e-mail notice from Outlaw popped up, and I was too punch drunk to do anything but post the news and get back to work.

Having some rest and the time to think about a couple of conversations I have had with Scott in the past 18 months, it was clear he was frustrated, but also very upbeat about some of the technologies employed in the 997 and other products he indicated I might like to see (but could not talk about).

The fact that ...

1) so many of the technologies that would have been part of the Model 997 are adapted or improved in the Model 998 and,

2) there are significant design elements completed with prototype parts already coming this month and,

3) the price point and promotional pricing of the Model 998 will be essentially the same as the aborted Model 997 ...

... would support the belief that Outlaw has been planning this move for a long time. The nature of partnerships is always tricky when the expectations of joint ventures are not met, and this is clearly an extreme example.

It is likely that Outlaw would expose itself to contractual liabilities if it abandoned it's business partners without a significant effort to maintain the best economic outcome for all, even if this meant limiting losses instead of realizing profits. Of course, contracts between partners often have performance clauses that give each party the right to terminate the agreement, but these can be subordinate to other concerns which involve other agreements and relationships outside the direct umbrella of a joint venture such as the Model 997.

The success of a relatively small company like Outlaw depends heavily on trust. Outlaw customers are certainly of great importance, but the business integrity of Outlaw with it's industry partners is also vital to it's future success. As I understand, the Outlaws are a gang that has professional experience and continuing business interests in independently active companies. This has been a great asset, and the integrated industry required to bring complex products to market is something they clearly understand. That being said, invention and economics do not exist in a perfect world, and there are always risks, some of which are almost impossible to anticipate.

I have every confidence that the Outlaws have always had our interests at heart. But I am also sure they must have struggled to complete and maintain business obligations that have precluded them from communicating to us the messy details of a venture that ultimately failed. In a company that has been a champion of transparency, this must have been very difficult for the Outlaws to accept.

And finally ... to all those who have been so eager to denigrate the Outlaws, while crowing about how flawless and sonically pure their HT systems are ...
GREAT FOR YOU. But understand, there many of us who own Outlaw equipment that are very serious about quality and value too. And we have made repeated investments in this company because it has been such a uniquely pleasurable experience.

In fact, the Outlaws only design equipment that they themselves would put in their own homes and studios. So it is not hard to say the Outlaws have well understood their customer.

Thank you to all those who have supported this forum, and the exchange of valuable information.

Allan

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts