Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#79775 - 12/25/09 02:41 AM Christmas present to me
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spring Lake, Michigan
Well I sold my dad my B&W LCR60, because he was in need of a new center channel. I mean come on he was using an Acoustic Research center that he bought for $50 on e-bay 5 years ago. I have been looking for an excuse to purchase an outlaw speaker product for a long time now. Can't wait to get it. I also ordered a 4 stack of cables today. I mean I have to take advantage of the 15% discount. Probably wont see anything for a while though with the holidays and everything. From what I have read I dont think I will be dissapointed.

#79776 - 12/25/09 02:47 AM Re: Christmas present to me
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

Oh yea. If the saloon is beeing monitored through the weekend I just want to say please read my email for my special shipping intructions for the recent orders that I placed.
I placed the shipping instructions for the lcr in the special instructions tab and sent a sepperate email for the cables, but both do go to the same alternate address.

#79777 - 12/29/09 03:03 AM Re: Christmas present to me
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

Hey gonk I know you will know this first hand I am wondering where the outlaw speakers are made? I am sure I could find this information somewhere else but I figure this is faster. I know I could find this out in a few days when I get my own lcr but I was just curious.

#79778 - 12/29/09 03:15 AM Re: Christmas present to me
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
They're built in the US (specifically Massachusetts, I think) using drivers built in Europe.

#82690 - 03/07/10 10:13 AM Re: Christmas present to me [Re: gonk]
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

Sorry I have not posted any of my thoughts on my recent LCR(Cherry)purchase, because when I recieved the speaker it was around the holidays, and for me it is an insane time.

When I first recieved the speaker I was very pleased with the packaging, which I have come to expect from Outlaw. I am amazed with how heavy the speaker is for its small size. It is definitely a very solidly built cabinet, and I am very glad I chose the cherry finish because Outlaw does a great job of picking a high quality veneer. I work at a very small specialty lumber yard and I have seen many good and bad veneers. The terminals are very high quality, and the optianal bracket mounting spots are a nice extra, which could come in handy for many people.

Now for the sound, which blew me away. I honestly have nothing bad to say about the sound. I have always purchased B&W products in the past and have been very happy with them, especially with their tweeters. I have to say I like the highs comming from the LCR much more than my 685's or my prevous LCR60. I had to turn the center down 2 notches on the model 970 because the Outlaw LCR is so much more forward and bold sounding than my other speakers. Voices and center action noises in movies sound so much more detailed and pronounced than before.

The LCR is a little bit more expesive than I expected for an Outlaw product, but it is so worth every penny. I will stick with my B&W 685's as mains for now, because they are still a great sounding speaker and a great deal, but maybe sometime in the future I will consider purchasing either two more LCR's or a pair of the Outlaw bookshelf speakers.

I have a question for anyone out there. What I am wondering is if anyone has tried the Emotiva speaker cables. They look like very high quality speaker cables and are extremely affordable. I would purchase Outlaw speaker cables if they made them, but they don't. Gonk I do like the looks of your speaker cables. What brand are they, how much do they cost, and where did you purchase them? The only reason I want to replace the ones I am currently using is because they are getting old and have been moved so much I think the wire is getting weak where the end are terminated.

#82693 - 03/07/10 10:59 AM Re: Christmas present to me [Re: gunslinger]
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you are looking for good speaker cable, I'd suggest checking Blue Jeans Cables. I got some for my surrounds and was very pleased. They offer several options for terminations, including some nice locking bananas.

The cables I'm using have been around my system for a long time - I think I bought them back in 2001 or 2002. They are made by a company in Australia called The Music Cable. They're pricier than I would probably pay for today, even when you buy them from the company through Audiogon for a significant discount over the list price on their site (which is how I got mine).

Be aware in either case that the Outlaw speakers share a trait with my old Paradigms: they use large posts, so you have to use larger spades than the standard. It doesn't matter if you use bananas, of course. I've got a set of old Better Cables speaker cables that have spades on one end and bananas on the other, and neither set of speakers would accept the spades on those cables.

#82695 - 03/07/10 11:12 AM Re: Christmas present to me [Re: gonk]
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the quick response time Gonk. I have visited the Blue Jean site, but very briefly. I will have to check it out again. I know mentioning Emotiva on the Outlaw forum may be a bad idea, but the speaker cables do look tempting.

Thanks Again

#82702 - 03/07/10 12:23 PM Re: Christmas present to me [Re: gunslinger]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Blue Jeans focuses solely on cable, and they do a great job with it. They make the cables to the specific length you want, with the terminations you want (or none at all). They do the same for audio and video cables, with an added advantage there of color options - I've got sets of different color component cables from them that make sorting out what device each set comes from really easy (purple goes to the TV, for example). If I was wiring my system from the ground up, I'd probably get most of it from Blue Jeans, plus perhaps some from MonoPrice where it made sense.

#82744 - 03/09/10 05:21 PM Re: Christmas present to me [Re: gonk]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Just a quick heads-up for anybody who is shopping for cables or recently bought some: MonoPrice apparently got hacked and some customer credit card numbers may have been stolen. It looks like the affected customers were those who made purchases in the last two weeks. Their site is currently down.

#82762 - 03/10/10 09:32 PM Re: Christmas present to me [Re: gonk]
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

WOW! Thanks for the good info.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts