Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#82675 - 03/06/10 12:31 AM PR-SC886 w/ SMS-1 or Not
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
I am kind of curious about a comment I saw in the outlaw version of the 886 manual. On the middle of page 27 in the last paragraph of the Audyssey MultEQ XT section the manual states that if the sub-woofer has built in equalization that it should be disabled as the Audyssey does a better job. Well then that leads to the obvious question, does Audussey provide better corrections then can be obtained via the SMS-1.

Anyone out there using the SMS-1 with the 886? Any pros or cons to using it or not?
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#82755 - 03/09/10 11:12 PM Re: PR-SC886 w/ SMS-1 or Not [Re: mdrconsult]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
I am kind of curious about a comment I saw in the outlaw version of the 886 manual. On the middle of page 27 in the last paragraph of the Audyssey MultEQ XT section the manual states that if the sub-woofer has built in equalization that it should be disabled as the Audyssey does a better job. Well then that leads to the obvious question, does Audussey provide better corrections then can be obtained via the SMS-1.

Anyone out there using the SMS-1 with the 886? Any pros or cons to using it or not?
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#82896 - 03/13/10 09:53 AM Re: PR-SC886 w/ SMS-1 or Not [Re: mdrconsult]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
A lot of subs have some built-in EQ, such as a one-band or maybe three-band manual EQ control. For those units, it probably makes sense to disable it and let Audyssey work on its own. The SMS-1 is a somewhat different case, though, which is probably why it was addressed separately from built-in sub EQ's:
Quote:
Additionally, some systems may have outboard subwoofer equalization equipment (such as a Behringer EQ or Velodyne SMS-1) connected between the PR-SC886 and the subwoofer. The signal processing performed by these units can produce a signal delay, and the Audyssey measurements will perceive that delay as a greater distance from the listening position. As a result, these systems will cause the measured subwoofer distances to not match the actual speaker placement. We recommend retaining the Audyssey-measured distances, as they include delays for both physical distance and for signal processing. For subwoofers with equalization built in, we also recommend disabling that equalization and using Audyssey alone; in most cases Audyssey will provide superior results.

So based on that, the manual doesn't suggest that Audyssey is better than the SMS-1. Instead, it recommends that anyone who uses an SMS-1 should set the SMS-1 up first and then run Audyssey afterward. Using that sequence allows Audyssey to work in coordination with the SMS-1 rather than fighting against it.

I've tinkered a bit with the combo of 885 and SMS-1, and with the 885 on its own. My room is hardly a perfect acoustical space, but it's surprisingly well-behaved for a den that doubles as a home theater. As such, neither the SMS-1 nor Audyssey were as profoundly effecting as they can be in other circumstances. That's probably why the 885's Audyssey by itself doesn't sound much different from the 885/SMS-1 combo. I could still see cases where it's worth keeping the SMS-1 around, assuming that it is set up in the sequence described by Outlaw's guide.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM