Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#82653 - 03/04/10 08:03 PM Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
Well, I have made the plunge. I just couldn't wait any longer for the 997. I found 886 here in town for a good price and I went for it.

Now my questions will begin. If I understand the manual correctly both "Pure Audio" and "Direct" modes will not apply any processing to the incoming analog audio signal. Therefore, any room correction will have to be done by my BDP-83 prior to sending it out the analog outputs. Is that correct? If so, could I just use all the information that 886 room correction process measured, i.e. speaker distances and db levels?

OK, maybe I need to backup a second. How do the 886 DACs compare to the BDP-83's DACs? Is it possible that I would be getting better SQ sending DSD (listen to a lot of SACD) or PCM bit stream via HDMI and letting the 886 decode? Would that apply to both the multi-channel and the stereo outputs as the stereo ones are quite clearly (at least to my ears) better sounding. For that matter, how about the BDP-83SE (I was thinking of upgrading) compared to the 886's DACs, would I get better SQ if I went that route? After all, if it turns out the 886 has the best DACs of them all it would make more sense to stay with the BDP-83 and use HDMI. BTW, just to be clear, I have been referring to the DACs in these units, but I really think I should be looking at the analog output stages as a whole.

Thank You in advance for any comments you can provide.

Edited by mdrconsult (03/04/10 10:28 PM)
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#82662 - 03/04/10 10:41 PM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: mdrconsult]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Take a while and listen to all the sources through the 886 and then swap over to the BDP-83 for a while. I doubt you will hear much difference if they are at the same levels. Any comparison has to be done at the same levels to mean anything. Generally the source with the highest level will almost always sound better. Just the way it works.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#82665 - 03/05/10 05:27 AM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: XenonMan]
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: White Cloud, Michigan
I don't have an 886 (yet) but I do have BDP-83SE and I believe it's DACS are better than what's in the 886. If I do get one (which I'm still debating) I plan on connecting via multichannel analog and let the Oppo do the processing. From everything I've read that would seem to get the best results.
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
Red Dragon M-500 monoblocks
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#82667 - 03/05/10 11:38 AM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: XenonMan]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Take a while and listen to all the sources through the 886 and then swap over to the BDP-83 for a while. I doubt you will hear much difference if they are at the same levels. Any comparison has to be done at the same levels to mean anything. Generally the source with the highest level will almost always sound better. Just the way it works.

XeonMan, Thank You for you response.

On a related question, I see from your signature you are using Blue Jeans interconnects. Are you happy with them? I am getting their HDMI cables to use in this setup. But I was wondering about their XLR Balanced cables. My current ones are a little short so I was debating between buying new ones at the correct length or buying the Outlaw extensions. Do you use there XLR's? Are you happy with them? Would you go with extensions or new ones?
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#82668 - 03/05/10 11:46 AM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: og33]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: og33
I don't have an 886 (yet) but I do have BDP-83SE and I believe it's DACS are better than what's in the 886. If I do get one (which I'm still debating) I plan on connecting via multichannel analog and let the Oppo do the processing. From everything I've read that would seem to get the best results.

og33, Thank You for your response.

Are you currently using your 970/BDP-83SE with the multi-channel analog connections? If so, how did you do the room correction setup. I am not familiar with the 970. Does it have and auto calibration similar to the 990? My plan would be to just let the 886 do a auto calibration and then copy those numbers over to the BDP-83. Is that what you did?

#82673 - 03/05/10 08:24 PM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: mdrconsult]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I don't have the Blue Jeans XLR connects but their analog interconnects are excellent and at a very fair price. I have XLR connects I use with my 990 but they are from Monoprice but they are very good also at a great price.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#82676 - 03/06/10 06:40 AM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: XenonMan]
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: White Cloud, Michigan
Mdrconsult,
The 970 doesn't have the auto setup feature that the 990 has. Basically I calibrated it the old fashioned way, with a spl meter and the 970's generated test tones (white noise). I am using the Oppo via the multichannel analog connections. Just followed gonk's setup guide for the 970. I just ordered an 886 yesterday btw. I hope that works out.
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
Red Dragon M-500 monoblocks
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#82679 - 03/06/10 12:11 PM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: mdrconsult]
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: mdrconsult
If I understand the manual correctly both "Pure Audio" and "Direct" modes will not apply any processing to the incoming analog audio signal. Therefore, any room correction will have to be done by my BDP-83 prior to sending it out the analog outputs. Is that correct? If so, could I just use all the information that 886 room correction process measured, i.e. speaker distances and db levels?

The "no processing at all" is a bit misleading. The Onkyo does still adjust speaker levels and distances, even in Pure Audio mode. Or I would be hosed, as I have about 10X the amplifier power running my L&R mains as my side surrounds.

#82754 - 03/09/10 11:10 PM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: Brandon B]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Brandon B
Originally Posted By: mdrconsult
If I understand the manual correctly both "Pure Audio" and "Direct" modes will not apply any processing to the incoming analog audio signal. Therefore, any room correction will have to be done by my BDP-83 prior to sending it out the analog outputs. Is that correct? If so, could I just use all the information that 886 room correction process measured, i.e. speaker distances and db levels?

The "no processing at all" is a bit misleading. The Onkyo does still adjust speaker levels and distances, even in Pure Audio mode. Or I would be hosed, as I have about 10X the amplifier power running my L&R mains as my side surrounds.

I am still not sure if I have a definitive answer. Based on your comments it sounds as if the 886 (similar to what the 990 did) does ADC then does DSP to adjust levels and distances (and possibly other processing as well such as bass management) and then does DAC for output to the amps. If this is the case then I suspect my BDP-83 setup would be the same as the 990. However, if it really is just a pass through to its analog output stages then I believe I would have to input all the distances and trim levels at the BDP-83. I can not find anywhere in either the Onkyo or Outlaw version of the manual that gives a clear answer to this.

Anyone else out there with an 886 and a BDP-83 using the multi-channel analog inputs? If so, how are you doing your setup? And do you find it to be an improvement over using HDMI for for High resolution audio like SACD?

#82765 - 03/10/10 11:19 PM Re: Pure Audio / Direct with a BDP-83 [Re: mdrconsult]
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
It's an interesting question. I would also be curious how the 950 handled it, since it was supposedly guaranteed to be an analog path.

It maybe the signal is split, converted to digital and analyzed for level matching, and then an analog domain level equalizing/delay is applied to the original based on that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM