Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#82480 - 02/16/10 11:29 PM Re: Oppo BDP-83 & Outlaw Audio 970 Question [Re: gonk]
Animo Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn,NY
Originally Posted By: gonk
Originally Posted By: Animo
my main concern now is whether the cable box is supposed to give me the digital signal or not.

Yes, the box should provide a digital signal. However, it may not be able to provide audio via both coaxial/optical and HDMI at the same time. I'd have to test that to be sure - but my local provider's box firmware has been flaky regarding digital output lately anyway, so I wouldn't entirely trust the results of any testing I did.
Originally Posted By: Animo
The other issues I'm having are pixilation, audio & video freezing, blank screens after changing a channel, and total loss of control from the remote.

Is all of that related to the cable box?

All problems seem related to the box as far as picture related problems. the newest thing seems to be a black screen (no audio either) for an indefinite amount of time leading to a reboot in order to get it to show a picture and sound. I was pointed to a thread on the AVS forum that says there's a choice in the audio settings to choose either HDMI (which will be a stereo signal) or Digital (which is supposed to force DD over the HDMI and/or Optical digital outputs). When I switched the audio to digital, I got no sound at all from the tv, but didn't try the 970. Tomorrow I will fire everything up, maybe reconnect the digital cable from the box to the 970, and see how it goes.
Dual 506 TT/Grado Gold cartridge, Oppo BDP-83
Pioneer CT-WM70R Cassette
JVC HR-S9800U SVHS, JVC HM-DM30000U HD/VHS
Cablevision HD/DVR, Samsung LN52A650, APC H15

VINTAGE
1950's Emerson TV
1962 Fisher 800B (tube receiver)
1962 Garrard Turntable

#82513 - 02/19/10 06:36 PM Re: Oppo BDP-83 & Outlaw Audio 970 Question [Re: Animo]
Animo Offline
Gunslinger

Box switched and got replies at other forums. Was told (Via AVS forum) that going into the settings and switching from HDMI to DD would force DD through the HDMI. Well, that doesn't work. Cable guy told me I had to route the optical from the box to the 970 directly, as does this post I found from someone quoting page 12 form my Samsung manual.....
Quote:
It may support DD over coax via the tuner, but not necessarily over the HDMI input.

Yup page 12 in your manual.

When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from
the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will
send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a
digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2
channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear
5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the
DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not
the TV.

Thanks for your help!!

VINTAGE
1950's Emerson TV
1962 Garrard Turntable

#82514 - 02/19/10 08:18 PM Re: Oppo BDP-83 & Outlaw Audio 970 Question [Re: Animo]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Was told (Via AVS forum) that going into the settings and switching from HDMI to DD would force DD through the HDMI. Well, that doesn't work.

This is most likely because the cable box is using HDMI to verify with the TV what is appropriate - and the TV is probably telling it "I have only two speakers - please give my PCM stereo!" At that point, it will override everything else. As I suggested earlier in the week, that means the HDMI cable will never be fed a DD bitstream by the box under these circumstances.
Quote:
Cable guy told me I had to route the optical from the box to the 970 directly, as does this post I found from someone quoting page 12 form my Samsung manual.....

I agree with the cable guy in this case - routing the audio signal through the TV as you were initially trying to do is a very problematic arrangement when dealing with multichannel audio of any sort. Going straight from cable box to the 970 is really the way to go.

#82515 - 02/20/10 02:04 AM Re: Oppo BDP-83 & Outlaw Audio 970 Question [Re: gonk]
Animo Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
I agree with the cable guy in this case - routing the audio signal through the TV as you were initially trying to do is a very problematic arrangement when dealing with multichannel audio of any sort. Going straight from cable box to the 970 is really the way to go.

I already had it wired but didn't yet know about the digital settings in the cable box.... so I unplugged it. Will do it again tomorrow and switch the setting and see how it sounds.

VINTAGE
1950's Emerson TV
1962 Garrard Turntable

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts