Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#76911 - 01/07/10 04:05 PM Re: 970 and Oppo BDP-83SE multichannel issues
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Might ask VA Canuck - based on this thread he has paired a BDP-83SE with a Boston Acoustics AVP7 (which is built on the same Sherwood platform as the Model 990). He's the only person I have found who has this exact pairing, but I don't think he had the stock BDP-83 previously.

#76912 - 01/07/10 07:38 PM Re: 970 and Oppo BDP-83SE multichannel issues
Rick S Offline
Gunslinger

I can't tell you if the upgrade is worth it or not but I'll tell you my experience. I had a PS3 connected to my 990 via optical. Like most everyone else, I wanted to hear the new audio formats. I decided to get an OPPO. Since this was a new purchase (not an upgrade like you) I went ahead and got the SE model. Since I was going to have my equipment rack torn apart anyway, I got a Panamax power conditioner too. Long story short, I have the OPPO connected to the 990 via 7.1, stereo, and optical. I used the Outlaw PCA cables for the analogs and a Blue Jeans cable for the optical. I can easily switch back and forth (via the remote) while listening. I have very resolving kevlar cone speakers. I may lose some credibility here, but, the difference between any of the connections is very subtle. I changed the power cables around too during this process but from memory, the difference between the OPPO and the PS3 is very subtle too. To be honest, I was actually a little disappointed there wasn't a bigger (night and day) difference. If you have the money, do the upgrade - you'll never wonder if you should of. If you don't want to spend the money, I personally think the difference is so subtle you're not missing much.
Playstaion 3
Panamax M5400-PM
Sony VPL-VW60
Stewart110" FireHawk G3
North Creek Music Systems CM-7's
Dayton Titanic 15" MKIII subs (2)

#82478 - 02/16/10 11:08 PM Re: 970 and Oppo BDP-83SE multichannel issues [Re: og33]
Affejunge Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Monterey, CA
Originally Posted By: og33
I saw another post regarding similar issues with a standard 83, and the poster ended up setting the db output in the Oppo to -6.5 and the sub up to +6.5 and he reported the bass was better.
John

og33, that was me with the issue. You said it, "fixed itself?" Mine seems to as well; after the last FIRMWARE update on the Oppo. I have been WAY too busy to test everything out, but the bass is much punchier and I only have it at +6.5 with the other channels at 0. I think something got fixed, or maybe reset on my unit, with the update.

I actually have the RMA now to get my Oppo upgraded to the SE. Let's hope that doesn't "break" things again! While it is getting serviced, I will have them check out the sub with LFE.

BTW, the opening of Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter) is excellent for checking LFE.. just listen to the thunder.

#82479 - 02/16/10 11:12 PM Re: 970 and Oppo BDP-83SE multichannel issues [Re: Rick S]
Affejunge Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Monterey, CA
Originally Posted By: Rick S
the difference between the OPPO and the PS3 is very subtle too. To be honest, I was actually a little disappointed there wasn't a bigger (night and day) difference.

My guess is you are running into the ADA conversion mentioned above, since the 990 does not have an analog pass-through.

I listen to a lot of vinyl; trust me, no matter how good the DAC is, it will not sound better than direct analog. Keep It Simple is aways better for a signal path.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts