Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#82207 - 01/25/10 04:26 PM Itunes-Based Music Server Suggestions
edcrash1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairfield, CT (Suburb of NYC)
I would like some suggestions on an Itunes-based lossless music server solution/setup. I use Itunes (and more importantly, so does my wife); therefore, I want/need to base a music server on the Itunes interface so it feeds seemlessly (or relatively so) to Ipods as well as to my Outlaw 990 (and hopefully 997). I would like something that (i) has the capacity to hold about 1000 lossless songs (from Itunes--currently in MP3 format) plus about 500 to 1000 lossless CDs; (ii) uses a remote that can access itunes for everyday use; (iii) has audiophile interconnect availablity/options; and (iv) is not so everly jerry rigged that it cannot fit "neatly" into an audiophile array of components. Unfortunately, after researching the internet, most of the suggestions I see are (i) by non-audiophiles who are not overly concerned with lossless storage, sound quality, and interconnect options to stereophile equipment; or (ii) by people with "jerry rigged" systems with computers that are kept on all the time (which I understand is not good) and lousy or no remotes that rely on using the computer's monitor and keyboard for everyday running of the system. Any suggestions would be appreciated, even if pointing me to an appropriate article.

Thanks in advance, Ed.
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables

#82209 - 01/25/10 04:42 PM Re: Itunes-Based Music Server Suggestions [Re: edcrash1]
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
Check out the Squeezebox. This is what I have been using, although I do not use itunes, but I do know that you can integrate it with itunes. My entire music collection is lossless and streams through the Squeezebox Classic. My problem is that I have to have my computer on when using it, which is a problem when my computer goes into sleep mode and I want to turn it on in the morning (computer is in basement, squeezebox is 1 floor up in living room.

Also, you can use an ipod touch or iphone as the remote via wifi ($10 app called ipeng).

edit: noticed you are trying to avoid keeping computer on at all time - you can get a ReadyNAS drive to store all of your music, no need for keeping computer on then.

Edited by ndskurfer (01/25/10 04:47 PM)

#82210 - 01/25/10 04:47 PM Re: Itunes-Based Music Server Suggestions [Re: edcrash1]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I use my iPod to feed my Onkyo through miniplug to RCA stereo input through a Dynex iPod dock. Its not fancy but it works pretty well and it was real cheap. It also has a remote which lets my Harmony control my iPod for basic stuff.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#82211 - 01/25/10 04:53 PM Re: Itunes-Based Music Server Suggestions [Re: XenonMan]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Have you thought about the AppleTV? It's got an optical output, so you could tie it to the Model 990 and let it to the D/A conversion, and it will sync directly with iTunes. The hard drive will even store a lot of data locally in the device. It comes with a remote and gives you a video display on-screen for navigation.

#82212 - 01/25/10 05:31 PM Re: Itunes-Based Music Server Suggestions [Re: gonk]
edcrash1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairfield, CT (Suburb of NYC)
Gonk, I thought the AppleTV has storage limitations and thus it creates issue of only being able to have part of a large Itunes lossless library available at any one time.

Also, what are your views on the differences (good and bad) between the AppleTV and the Squeezebox as suggested by NDSKURFER.

EDIT: Also, what about the AppleTV's DAC? Is it good or would you want a better one for lossless audio feeding to a 990?

Edited by edcrash1 (01/25/10 05:44 PM)
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables

#82214 - 01/25/10 06:18 PM Re: Itunes-Based Music Server Suggestions [Re: edcrash1]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: edcrash1
Gonk, I thought the AppleTV has storage limitations and thus it creates issue of only being able to have part of a large Itunes lossless library available at any one time.

Also, what are your views on the differences (good and bad) between the AppleTV and the Squeezebox as suggested by NDSKURFER.

They now only offer the AppleTV with a 160GB hard drive - that adds up to a lot of storage space - but it can also stream directly from a computer running iTunes without having to store the files locally.

The Squeezebox is a good option for a music-only device. The original product was a dominant presence in the market for a long time. Logitech has changed the product line a lot recently (more than I had realized until just this moment, actually) and the old Squeezebox is apparently gone. The Duet is $400 (compared to $230 for the AppleTV). I don't know what the Touch costs. You could probably find a used Squeezebox (the old style) for less than an AppleTV.
Originally Posted By: edcrash1
EDIT: Also, what about the AppleTV's DAC? Is it good or would you want a better one for lossless audio feeding to a 990?

When you connect the optical output to the 990, the DAC is irrelevant. It's simply providing a digital output.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts