Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#82099 - 01/20/10 10:49 AM To 3D or not to 3D, or When (is the question)?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
After seeing comments on 3D home theater scattered in some other topic areas, I thought I would give 3D home theater its own topic.

After seeing Avatar in both RealD3D* and IMAX*, I'm 'sold' on the idea for home use, but not yet sold on what means I might adopt and when. I've never been satisfied trying to live on the bleeding edge of audio/video, so I'm not about to jump, although I am 'itching'.

* I preferred RealD3D image and IMAX audio, although I suppose a RealD3D theater wouldn't be prevented from improving their audio.

#82333 - 02/02/10 07:48 AM Re: To 3D or not to 3D, or When (is the question)? [Re: bestbang4thebuck]
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Although too much speculation at this time is pointless, does anyone know if any of the proposed consumer 3D methods will require a bandwidth that will make current pre/pro's (that decode audio from HDMI, and pass the HDMI along to a video display) obsolete? Or that such a data stream will be above what current HDMI systmes/cables are designed to handle? These questions come from comments I read in an on-line magazine article, but the author was not sufficiently specific or thorough.

#82334 - 02/02/10 09:43 AM Re: To 3D or not to 3D, or When (is the question)? [Re: bestbang4thebuck]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Although too much speculation at this time is pointless, does anyone know if any of the proposed consumer 3D methods will require a bandwidth that will make current pre/pro's (that decode audio from HDMI, and pass the HDMI along to a video display) obsolete? Or that such a data stream will be above what current HDMI systmes/cables are designed to handle?

It is a very real concern, actually. There haven't been any clear answers from manufacturers, and if problems do exist (as seems to be a possibility) there will likely be no easy way to tell if individual products are affected using manufacturer literature on older HDMI products.

Panasonic's first BD3D player will have two HDMI outputs. This is being done to allow HDMI audio to go to a receiver and HDMI video to go to a display, which is perhaps the only clear hint we've seen that manufacturers expect there to be bandwidth problems with 3D and existing HDMI receivers. Player designs like that could provide protection against compatibility problems with receivers and processors that aren't 3D-friendly, but it is sort of defeating the purpose of HDMI as a single-cable solution.
Quote:
These questions come from comments I read in an on-line magazine article, but the author was not sufficiently specific or thorough.

In the author's defense, I'm not sure anyone has enough specifics. As with past HDMI revisions, details are proving elusive right now.

#82335 - 02/02/10 09:44 AM Re: To 3D or not to 3D, or When (is the question)? [Re: bestbang4thebuck]
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
From what I've read, it appears that 3D will require more bandwith than HDMIv3 will support,so an HDMIv (v4 ?)will be necessary to carry the video signal. That's a whole new ball game for processors and interconnects, but after all, the point in all of this is to sell equipment.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#82336 - 02/02/10 11:36 AM Re: To 3D or not to 3D, or When (is the question)? [Re: KOYAAN]
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
Originally Posted By: KOYAAN
but after all, the point in all of this is to sell equipment.

Give that man a cigar.
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts