Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#82019 - 01/15/10 11:33 AM 997 Already obsolete?
jmeno Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Staten Island N.Y.
I was about to buy a new projector (panny 4000) and I decided to wait because next years model is compatable with the 3d technology that's coming. I just read that recievers and Pre/pro's are going to have to be compatable with HDMI 1.4, or 1.3 that can be upgraded like the ps3. I doubt the 997 will be compatable with this technology. Then again, by the time it actually comes out, there will probably be wireless HD/Audio systems and the 997 will look like an antique. I'm going to start seriously looking at other options for the first time.

#82020 - 01/15/10 11:55 AM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: jmeno]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's still hard to tell what the requirements are for 3D, but there is the potential for all of the relatively new HDMI v1.3 receivers and processors to have a problem passing HD3D video signals. For some discussion of the current state of affairs regarding 3D standards (or the lack thereof), you might check out this article. It's an interesting read.

One likely solution (which is apparently going to be implemented on at least one upcoming Blu-ray 3D player, I think from Panasonic) is to have two HDMI outputs on the player. One would go directly to the HDMI v1.4 display and the other would go to an HDMI v1.3 receiver or processor. This avoids the problem.

I could interject another rant about HDMI here, but I will refrain... smile

#82023 - 01/16/10 12:38 AM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: gonk]
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
HDMI upgrades and 3D HDTV reek of planned obsolescence for those HDTVs, Pre/Pros and Receivers we all went out and splurged on in the last couple of years. Same with Selective Output control. I guarantee you that you'll see that popping up in content just as soon as HDTV sales start to drop off, and all of the early adopters with component-only sets are forced to toss an otherwise good HDTV. What happened to the promise of ongoing firmware support in the digital age?

And while I'm ranting, what's with 3D all of a sudden? Am I seriously expected to believe that these guys are going to transform the way I watch HD when half of the BDs I've seen look as if they're upscaled from the DVD versions? 3D is effective when the screen takes up 110 degrees of your view in the theater, and everything is big and impressive and makes you duck when it comes flying at you. Even with the big TVs in homes now, you'd have to sit right in front of it to get the same impact from the effect. And now I have to wear glasses to watch TV? I'd sooner wear a tinfoil hat, and mind you I'm starting to think that's a good idea.

#82030 - 01/16/10 10:25 AM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: sluggo]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Some of this is simply my personal preference, of course, but I absolutely don't care about 3D. Maybe when they get displays that will provide 3D without the use of glasses and there is content that makes good use of that capability, I will care about it. All of the current fuss and hype just irritates me. I don't want to have my entire video signal path rendered "obsolete" because HDMI had to create a new version and the TV makers and Hollywood decided to push 3D onto consumers so they can see us new TV's (especially when the digital changeover just happened less than a year ago).

#82037 - 01/16/10 12:43 PM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: gonk]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I agree wholeheartedly!! Anyone jumping on 3D at this point is going to be throwing big $$$ away for a barely thought out technology. We should invent a BS-ometer. Someone will make a device which splits out the 3D signal from the audio and allow the 3D signal to go to the display while the audio goes to the pre-pro. They will make a killing.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#82040 - 01/16/10 12:58 PM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: gonk]
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Electronics manufactures and movie studios can proclaim 3D the next thing but in terms of sales DVD is still king with BluRay gaining but still way back. This recent press release from The Digital Entertainment Group includes a chart that tracks sales of home media over the years and it looks like we still live in a 480i world. BluRay sales are increasing but the market transformation to BluRay still has a ways to go. I strongly doubt folks moving from standard def will leap over 1080p and BluRay for 3D capable equipment. This says nothing of how much 3D content will be available and whether its quality will sway even early adopters. As for me I don't see the draw for 3D. I enjoyed how Avatar looked in 3D for example but I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars to buy equipment to watch the few 3D titles at home. I suspect the 997 and even the 990 with a BluRay player will be safe for a while. So, I'm not going to worry about 3D and instead concentrate my efforts on increasing BluRay's market share!

#82041 - 01/16/10 01:01 PM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: XenonMan]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Anyone jumping on 3D at this point is going to be throwing big $$$ away for a barely thought out technology.

Yeah, the standards definitely need some clarification still - which makes me nervous about actually investing in hardware. It will also be curious to see what these first 3D displays and players cost. That's something that didn't really get discussed at CES last weekend.
Quote:
Someone will make a device which splits out the 3D signal from the audio and allow the 3D signal to go to the display while the audio goes to the pre-pro. They will make a killing.

Or players will provide two HDMI outputs so you can send audio one place and video another. That assumes you actually want to invest in both a player and a TV that support 3D, of course...

#82042 - 01/16/10 01:04 PM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: AvFan]
Bob045 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Avfan,

You took the words right out of my mouth. Strangely, this "push" towards 3d seems to be based on one movie, Avatar. What is interesting ( at least to me ) is that the seemingly "sudden" collaboration among hardware and media that resulted in a standard for 3d. Not to sound gloomy but this has the smell of desperation rather than innovation to spur lackluster sales.

Just my 0.05 worth.

#82043 - 01/16/10 02:27 PM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: Bob045]
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
You'll need a new TV - how many people have bought new TV for HD in the last couple years?

Broadcast 3D will not be in HD. Way too much bandwidth needed. Only BD movies in 3D will be HD.

If you want to have the guys over to watch the Superbowl in 3D you'll need to spring for lots of glasses at $50-$75 bucks a piece.

Not only will you need a new TV but a new media player as well because your current BD player will not handle the new 3D format.

And just about the time everyone has 3D with the glasses the manufacturers will come out with 3D that does not require glasses so the whole thing starts again.

Check here:

Link 1

Link 2

I'm beginning to think this whole thing is a rip-off to keep us buying equipment.

If I wanted 3D drama in my own home I would've stayed married.

mzpro who can do just fine in flat land.
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#82044 - 01/16/10 03:12 PM Re: 997 Already obsolete? [Re: mzpro5]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: mzpro5
I'm beginning to think this whole thing is a rip-off to keep us buying equipment.

Sure seems that way from where I sit...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM