Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#81700 - 10/13/09 10:38 PM How Is It?
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spring Lake, Michigan
I am just wondering if anyone has purchased this little power house yet? I want to know if it is amazing or just ok for the price. I am possibly interested in upgrading from my B&W AWS600 10" sub with a 150 watt amp.

#81701 - 12/13/09 10:33 PM Re: How Is It?
gunslinger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spring Lake, Michigan
Really no response after this amount of time. That kind of worries me. I really want to here what people have to say about this sub. Maybe this was a bad idea for outlaw because of the amound of subwoofers they already have.

#81702 - 12/14/09 01:29 AM Re: How Is It?
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
$200 more and it doesn't go as low as the LFM1-EX. Makes it a kind of boutique item for those who don't have the room for a big sub. Also uses more power to do less sound. My guess is that not many have tried it yet, so no response.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#82006 - 01/14/10 02:56 PM Re: How Is It? [Re: XenonMan]
SY Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NYC
So I've had 2 new ECS-10 subs in our living room for about 72 hours... and so far? I really like them, they're filling the tail where our Totem's roll off, once I got them tuned in: the ECS-10's fill in smoothly. They're paired in stereo pretty much in line (vertically) below the mains.

A couple of advantages to the small form factor : pushing a smaller diaphragm means they're pretty fast, handle transients well + they're sealed not ported. So no chuffing, no blooming in the box at the tune point. They're accurate and tight, they'll pair very well with a capable set of speakers. I'd go so far as to say they're quite musical.

Get them - If you like your bass to be musical, accurate. ( maybe a bit cool due to accuracy - since I've only had them a short while I'm willing to say break-in is probably a factor here as well as my evolving tune )
Don't get them - If you're looking for HT earthquake 'textural' bass, then there are other products with larger diaphragm's that will suit your needs.

Few thing's to note -

1) They're installed in a converted/industrial space, minimal furniture and carpet. The main room is 30'L x 18'W x 15'H - having one sub just wasn't going to cut it. Pairing up the ECS-10's in stereo was the answer.

We entertain professionally - we had 15 friends over the other night to test them out with more mass in the room. Aside from having to bump up the line feed to the subs to compensate ( which was expected ) they performed very well and were not strained whatsoever.

2) Asthetic challenges / A small form factor sub is the only answer. The ECS-10 integrates (literally) into our design factor - this is/was a big issue and one that this sub met.

* it's worth noting that the sub is basic black, we're placing ours inside custom steel shelving so it doesn't matter. However, if you are going to keep it plainly visible - bear that fact in mind.

Lastly: I'm pretty sure this is a private label product based on the Velodyne Photon 10". Given the Velodyne Photon 10" MSRP's for $1250 ( typically $999 online) the Outlaw pricing puts you ahead of the game. Additionally, I'm pretty sure Outlaw's design team mandated a change in operational specifications on these units... because right out of the box the pair we have worked flawlessly and integrated very well into our acoustical environment.

Kudos to the Outlaw.

#82007 - 01/14/10 03:00 PM Re: How Is It? [Re: SY]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Thanks for the report on these, SY.

#84659 - 09/17/10 10:11 PM Re: How Is It? [Re: gunslinger]
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of hearing an ECS-10 when I was visiting a friend.

In what was admitedly not a critical listening session, in a set-up that was calibrated by ear, I was very impressed with this little sub.

It found itself holding its own in an all-Dynaudio system - with Contour S5.4's up front.

Over many hours of listening, from mild to very loud levels, with all types of music (SACD and CD sources), I never heard this sub complain, sound strained, nor do anything but reproduce with aplomb everything we threw at it.

My buddy had been forced to replace a much larger name brand sub for space reasons after he moved. The ECS-10 fit perfectly - both physically and sound-wise.

They are now on my "very much recommended" list.

ps. This is from an SVS PB13 Ultra owner - in addition to several other subs.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts