Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81658 - 01/11/10 12:14 AM Boxee Box
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harper, Kansas
Sorry can someone delete this or move it to the 990 forum.

I've been following new product releases at the CES and I'm interested in the new Boxee Box http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/hands-on-with-the-boxee-box/ (the Boxee Box has a HDMI output plus an optical out).

I have an older Toshiba rear projection HDTV which I have to use an outboard HD Tuner with. I have all audio/video ran directly to my 990 and then component is used from 990 to my tv.

Should I be able to hook up a Boxee Box to the 990 by using a HDMI to DVI cable (or adapter) plus optical between the two?

Would the 990 have any trouble switching to the Boxee Box and displaying through the component cable going to my tv?

#81659 - 01/11/10 03:19 AM Re: Boxee Box
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Boxee's cabinet is pretty trippy, but there is no problem going HDMI-to-DVI and optical into the 990. The DVI input will not go to the component output, however, and if your TV doesn't have a DVI or HDMI input the Boxee is going to be a problem no matter what processor you are using. You'd need something like an HD Fury to get component output from the HDMI output.

#81660 - 01/11/10 11:08 PM Re: Boxee Box
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Boy this is a huge disappointment I was really looking forward to the Boxee Box or something similar but I never realized I would be locked out from the internet since I have an older tv. I'm currently trying out the Boxee software and it's pretty neat!

I researched the HDFury and as near as I can tell it costs $200 for the HDFury2 and $300 for the HDFury3 just for one input. Dang kind of expensive since I would still need to buy the Boxee Box what I'd give to have a newer tv. Thanks for the info!

#81661 - 01/11/10 11:18 PM Re: Boxee Box
gonk Offline
Desperado

Looks like the cheapest I could find for the HDFury2 from a known vendor is $142 from MonoPrice .

One benefit of the 990's DVI switching is that you could actually use the HDFury2 with two HDMI sources (with the 990 between those sources and the TV). You'll need to have two component inputs on your TV to do this - one for the component output of the 990 (for all your analog video sources, including that outboard HD tuner) and one for the component output of the HDFury.

If you only have one HD-capable component input on your TV, you may still need to locate the HDFury in front of the 990, at which point it would only be able to serve multiple sources if you added a separate HDMI switch.

#81662 - 01/12/10 01:19 AM Re: Boxee Box
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk I thought it needed (was recommended) a separate supply that came with some versions does Monoprice include this?

I can't figure how one of these is hooked up (or in my case how I would) and what cables you would need, could you describe in detail?

Do you know anyone who has tried one of these?

I have two HD component inputs on my tv.

#81663 - 01/12/10 03:38 AM Re: Boxee Box
gonk Offline
Desperado

There is not a power supply provided, but it isn't clear if it is actually required or not. If you were to connect it downstream of the 990's DVI switching, it's possible that you'd need the AC adapter because the 990's passive switch probably cuts into the signal strength enough from the original source to start to starve the device. I haven't used one, but I know that some BDP-83 owners have (the HDMI input is the only one that is tied to the ABT2010 processor).

I think it comes with the VGA-to-component cable that plugs into the output and lets you connect to a component video input. You would then plug an HDMI cable into the other end of the device. The MonoPrice site has some good pictures of it.

#81664 - 01/12/10 12:24 PM Re: Boxee Box
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
While I'm not a fan of streaming video from the Internet (for quality reasons...the concept is nice), I do like the concept of having a device to play digital media.

I got one of these for $100.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=734

For about $20 more, there's a version with ethernet if you're into streaming from the Interwebz.

Combined with a $100 1TB USB hard disk, I now have a fairly competent 1080P capable digital media jukebox with HDMI output for video and TOSlink out for audio. It will play mp3 audio, a whole slew of video formats, and is easy for my kids to use. I've been slowly ripping my DVD collection into high quality 1GB H.264 files so that I can store the originals out of harm's way and don't have to fumble through the physical media anymore. It took all of about 10 minutes to setup.

I am out of DVI inputs on my Outlaw 990 (which is why I'm going to replace it soon). So I defined one of the optical inputs on the 990 as the WDTV audio input and simply connected the WDTV's HDMI video output to one of the extra HDMI ports on my LCD screen. My Harmony remote deals with the video switching.

Highly recommended and VERY easy on the wallet.

Best,

#81970 - 01/12/10 07:06 PM Re: Boxee Box [Re: gonk]
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: gonk

One benefit of the 990's DVI switching is that you could actually use the HDFury2 with two HDMI sources (with the 990 between those sources and the TV). You'll need to have two component inputs on your TV to do this - one for the component output of the 990 (for all your analog video sources, including that outboard HD tuner) and one for the component output of the HDFury.

Gonk I don't quite understand how you could use the HDFury2 with two HDMI sources since it only has one input?

So the Boxee Box would connect via HDMI to the 990 DVI input (with adapter), then from 990 DVI output (with adapter) you would run another HDMI cable into one side of the HDFury2 and then back out via component into my other tv component input. Does this seem right?

If above is correct then it sounds like all my analog equipment would continue to be switched by the 990 to the same tv component input as now but when I wanted to use the Boxee Box the 990 would switch to it but I would have to change the tv to the other component input.

Edited by countryboy (01/12/10 07:49 PM)

#81972 - 01/12/10 10:32 PM Re: Boxee Box [Re: countryboy]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: countryboy
Gonk I don't quite understand how you could use the HDFury2 with two HDMI sources since it only has one input?

Let's say you have two HDMI sources that you want to connect to your TV, even though it doesn't have an HDMI input. This could be a Boxee and a Blu-ray player, for example. You connect both sources to the 990 with HDMI-to-DVI cables (plus a digital audio cable or multichannel analog cables to handle the audio). Then you connect the DVI output from the 990 to the input of the HDFury2. The output of the HDFury2 then goes to the TV.
So the Boxee Box would connect via HDMI to the 990 DVI input (with adapter), then from 990 DVI output (with adapter) you would run another HDMI cable into one side of the HDFury2 and then back out via component into my other tv component input. Does this seem right?

Yes.
If above is correct then it sounds like all my analog equipment would continue to be switched by the 990 to the same tv component input as now but when I wanted to use the Boxee Box the 990 would switch to it but I would have to change the tv to the other component input.

Also correct. You would probably still have a component video output from the 990 that will carry all your analog sources, and you will have to switch between the two component inputs on the TV. At a minimum, you would have some sort of analog video output from the 990 so you could see the setup menu.

This whole concept is based on the idea that you have two HDMI sources. If you just have one, you can still retain the signal component video output from the 990 for all sources and connect the HDFury2 between the Boxee and the 990. As with many things, there's no one right answer - just lots of options available depending on your needs.

#81974 - 01/12/10 11:31 PM Re: Boxee Box [Re: gonk]
countryboy Offline
Gunslinger

Ah I got it took awhile to get it through my thick head suddenly the price of the HDFury2 doesn't look as bad as it would give me different options of hooking it.

Using a internet source like the Boxee do you think there would be a big difference in signal quality comparing a HDFury2 to component setup vs a straight HDMI to HDMI setup?

If one hooked up a Blu-ray player using the HDFury2 setup would there be any difference over a straight component hookup or would it depend on which Blu-ray player you had?

I have an Oppo 970 would this benefit going through the HDFury2 compared to my straight component hookup I now use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts