Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81637 - 12/23/09 04:10 PM Couldn't wait any longer either....
Rick S Offline
Gunslinger

so i ordered an OPPO BDP-83SE. smile Should tide me over for a while. Guess the PS3 will be relegated to component video for a while but oh well. At least I'll be enjoying the new audio formats via 7.1.
Playstaion 3
Panamax M5400-PM
Sony VPL-VW60
Stewart110" FireHawk G3
North Creek Music Systems CM-7's
Dayton Titanic 15" MKIII subs (2)

#81638 - 12/23/09 05:40 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Nice purchase. That should be a fun combo. I've heard really good things about the SE's analog section.

#81639 - 12/23/09 05:53 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: White Cloud, Michigan
Me too! I've had a receivers with Audyssey in the past and realistically I didn't notice a huge improvement in the sound. I figure I'll stick with my 970 and my soon to arrive 83SE.
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
Red Dragon M-500 monoblocks
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#81640 - 12/23/09 06:33 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
VA Canuck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
My Oppo BDP-83SE is wrapped and has been under the tree for two weeks now. It's driving me crazy not to be able to hook it up.

Only two more "sleeps" until Christmas. smile
Polk Audio LSiFX Rears
Polk Audio LSiC Center
Rega Apollo CDP
Oppo BDP-83SE

#81641 - 12/23/09 06:43 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Now that is patience!

#81642 - 12/23/09 09:02 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Wow...there's a man with self control!
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#81643 - 12/23/09 09:42 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

No.

A man with true self-control does what's best for the World and makes sure he does not buy made-in-China products. wink

#81644 - 12/23/09 11:17 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
og33 Offline
Gunslinger

Jeff,
I've tried to make a conscious effort to avoid products made in China, but it's becoming close to impossible to do that. From shoelaces to refrigerators...almost every consumer product is made there. If I can find a product that's made here, or anywhere but China I buy it over a made in China product. Unfortunately, I don't know of any bluray players available that aren't made there. I'd thought the one I currently have was made elsewhere but after I bought it I found it was made in China. I'm sure there are some out there, but I haven't run across any. I guess it boils down to if you want a product and they are all made in China, it's a decision to buy it in spite of that fact or just pass.
Panasonic BDP-45
Outlaw LFM-2

2 Channel:
BAT-VK3i
Salk HT-1TL's
Apple TV
Beresford 7520 DAC
Surgex XS10

#81645 - 12/23/09 11:47 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by og33:
Jeff,
I've tried to make a conscious effort to avoid products made in China, but it's becoming close to impossible to do that. From shoelaces to refrigerators...almost every consumer product is made there. If I can find a product that's made here, or anywhere but China I buy it over a made in China product. Unfortunately, I don't know of any bluray players available that aren't made there. I'd thought the one I currently have was made elsewhere but after I bought it I found it was made in China. I'm sure there are some out there, but I haven't run across any. I guess it boils down to if you want a product and they are all made in China, it's a decision to buy it in spite of that fact or just pass.
After being in China on and off for several years and seeing the ucked fup environment (from the business, quality, and ethics standpoints) first hand, I go out of my way to avoid products produced there as well. It seems like "good business" to buy from China as an OEM until you start bumping into things like Outlaw is seeing now and run into the "mei ban fa" mindset. I'd rather make a smaller margin and deal with suppliers with integrity...but that's just me...apparently.

Best,

#81646 - 12/24/09 01:17 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer either....
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

og33,

My Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray player, which I bought new in August, is a very good player. It is made in Malaysia.

For audio and video performance (through its HDMI output) it is the equal of the Oppo ( and anything else in its price range). It lacks SACD and DVD-A capability; but if you were into those formats you probably still have your old player anyhow.

I paid $243.97 delivered for the Sony. That's half the price (or less) of the Oppo. (There goes the old "but I saved a bundle by buying made-in-China" argument!)

Sony's not exactly an unheard-of brand, and it did not take me long to identify this player, and its non-china pedigree. I'm no big fan of Sony (and they've cause me some grief in the past) but I'll gladly buy from them so long as they produce products that are not made in China.

It's also why I bought the Onkyo 886 instead of waiting for the 997.

It's also why I never bought an Outlaw sub - although for all of a bunch of other reasons I wanted one.

While a little difficult to do so, it's not impossible (nor even close to impossible) to find products that are not made in China. I do all of the time. Examples of non-Chinese things I've bought this week alone: shoes (Brazil); winter golf gloves (India); golf balls (USA; underwear (Costa Rica). Was not hard to avoid China.

Don't buy Chinese products - and write to the companies who you didn't buy from and tell them why you did not buy theirs.

I talked to an Oppo rep earlier this year who deeply regretted his/her company's practice of manufacturing in China. He/she wished it were not so. Trust me, if upon its release nobody bought the BDP-83, and wrote to say why not, production would have moved elsewhere overnight. If the excuse is that they need to do so in order to preserve the bottom line, losing a ton of sales will affect that bottom line even more.

Sorry but I don't buy the "they are all made in China" argument.

Suggestion: send the Oppo back as soon as it arrives. Tell them why. Go out and buy something else.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts