Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#8222 - 05/27/04 01:20 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Tony, do you want to make your own topic so we might go into more detail? I think curegeorg and I hijacked this poor thread too much already.

#8223 - 05/27/04 02:14 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
Tony, do you want to make your own topic so we might go into more detail? I think curegeorg and I hijacked this poor thread too much already.

you better have your ak ready, because there are jackers in site. to paraphrase ice cube.

#8224 - 05/27/04 08:16 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
Tony S Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montclair, NJ , Essex
Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:

I ment no disrespect. I didn't want to interfear with your discussion. I just was thinking about how your friend seems to know so much about subwoofers, and that I have this problem with them. I don't have any problems with you either.

Please, let me know if there is something I can do for you. To be honest, I don't know a lot about home theaters and music equipment, but I like to watch old movies and listen to music. It is important to have a place to escape, when everyday life becomes complicated. This has been a tough year.

#8225 - 05/28/04 12:03 AM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
jt isnt my friend. :-) i do know just about as much as i claim to know... i, however, am a little bored on the whole topic of subwoofers. i need to come up with something new that i want to get to take up my focus, i guess i could finally assemble my diy speaker cables and write a review for the 3805, but that isnt gonna be a ton of fun while doing it. i really really really wanted to try bass shakers, but the old lady threw a wrench in that plan. speaking of them, im gonna start a topic to see if anyone uses them.

#8226 - 06/05/04 01:43 AM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
lotus_j Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside
cbell-

You have some interesting choices there. I'd suggest the following:

Outlaw 950
Outlaw 7100

that runs $1600, and you save $800 for video.

I'd ditch the Samsung, and get a BenQ PB8700 and a 100 inch Da-Lite screen. This should run you around $6300.

So $4100 left for speakers, DVD and wiring.

I'd go with a NAD DVD player, T533. It had DVD-A, but no SACD. NO DVI either.

You said CD playback was important, and the NAD kicks the Denon's ass in 2 channel sound (and multichannel sound for that matter).

I'd either go with the NAD, or I'd WAIT and just get a cheap Toshiba DVD player and wait a year for the companies like NAD, Arcam, etc. to make a DVD player with DVD-A and DVI.

That Denon sucks ass for sound (sorry that is the nicest way to put it).

If you go NAD, that leaves you $3600 for speakers. I'd put the money in the fronts, center, and sub. The rears should be cheapest Axiom speakers you can get.

You can do it all for $12000 and get a big nice DLP picture with great CD playback.

Don't sell your system short, if you have the space (and its hard to figure out if you do) you should get a DLP FPTV. 12k is more than enough for it, and great sound.

I'd either save $$$$ on the DVD and wait a year for companies that make awesome sounding DVD players to catch up with DVI or I'd jump on the NAD. IMHO its the best sounding DVD player under $500. The video on it is rather good too. It just doesn't have DVI.

[This message has been edited by lotus_j (edited June 05, 2004).]

#8227 - 06/07/04 10:14 AM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
cbell2112 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mt Pleasant, SC USA
Lotus--

Thanks for the reply. I have looked a bit into FPTV but I really don't think it will work for my particular set up as the ceilings are only 8' and the wall were the screen will be is only about 10'. A 100" screen would be way to big anyway since we will only be sitting 12' max from the screen.

Since my first post I've decided to have an aquaintance build a media server w/ top of the line video card and sound card and 2 250 GB hard drives to house all my music and some video(VCD type stuff). I also think it will have the capability to do some TIVO type recording of regular programming. So for the DVD player I think the video will be paramount. The Denon is a bit steep and I was thinking about going with the cheaper Denon and I'll look at your suggestion as well. DVD player is really still up in the air for me.

I actually have a 3rd floor in this house that is about 800 square feet that one day will be a perfect HT. I am roughing in the electrical and HVAC and will probably insulate and sheetrock. In that room there is no question that I will have FPTV. It will be perfect. Hopefully in the next couple of years prices will come down too.

#8228 - 06/07/04 01:25 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
lotus_j Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside
Projector prices are DEFINATELY coming down. I bet Mustang DLPs will get as low as $4500 and even possibly $4000 by this Christmas. Same quality DLPs should be around $3000 next Christmas if not less.

The Projector companies are trying to push their product into retail stores like Best Buy. Once they succeed prices will drop, and boutique stores will have less going for them.

I'm all for better deals for the consumer, but I really don't want to see the death of the mom&pop stores.

#8229 - 06/07/04 04:05 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
I cannot speak from first hand knowledge but it seems there are a lot of people with Media PC's that are using the PC for their DVD as well. You might want to consider that, one less component, less cables etc..

#8230 - 06/07/04 04:21 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
cbell2112 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mt Pleasant, SC USA
I was definately thinking of that and more than likely will opt for that initially. Wondering if you can buy a DVD player of a PC that also plays DVD-A and SACD.

#8231 - 06/07/04 05:01 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
I'd wait for a PC that can do both (or either). I don't think SACD is available yet. No drive I know of is rated to play DVD-Audio, but the SB Audigy 2 sound card can decode it. My computer can read the DVD-Audio section, but it just quits working at times. The recording sounds excellent when it runs though. It either works or it doesn't.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM