Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#8192 - 05/21/04 02:58 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
http://www.subwooferinfo.com/

It is an interesting site, but - as curegeorg points out - SPL alone does not a good sub make.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#8193 - 05/21/04 03:46 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Linear SPL + fast transitions + low extension does a good subwoofer make.

I forget where sunfire's were mentioned, maybe it was here, maybe it wasn't, but if their bigger subs are anything like the Jr then the RMS power should be around 270 watts. They've had on their site before that the Jr was about 125 RMS and 1250 max. Peak of 10 times the RMS which is incredible. A store guessed about 400-500 RMS for them.

I hear excellent things about velodynes. I wish I could hear one of the higher end ones for myself.

#8194 - 05/21/04 03:58 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Nothing beats free info from someone trying to prove a point

Impressive sub. For 5K it had better be. Back to reality.... subs under 1K. Does velodyne offer this technology in this very important price class? Not likely. I would put the models I suggested earlier up against any comparably priced(even double the price)velo out there. Maybe as "trickle-down" reaches this category we can have apples to apples comparisons between these brands. For now, I haven't seen or heard anything to convince me otherwise.

#8195 - 05/21/04 04:34 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
cbell2112 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mt Pleasant, SC USA
Guys I appreciate all the info. It will take me a couple of days to digest. The most expensive sub that Tweeter carries is the DLS400B.

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp...rentPage=family

How would this compare to the Outlaw sub?

I know there is a million combos to chose from which I guess is a good thing.

I'm wiring for a second sub in the back of the room in case just one sub doesn't due the trick but this will not be a huge home theater so I won't need a huge sub hopefully.

#8196 - 05/22/04 12:40 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Cadboy:
Nothing beats free info from someone trying to prove a point

Impressive sub. For 5K it had better be. Back to reality.... subs under 1K. Does velodyne offer this technology in this very important price class? Not likely. I would put the models I suggested earlier up against any comparably priced(even double the price)velo out there. Maybe as "trickle-down" reaches this category we can have apples to apples comparisons between these brands. For now, I haven't seen or heard anything to convince me otherwise.

for somewhere around 1k you can get some Velodyne SPLs, their website while better than it used to be is still lacking msrp. you can use their which product function, which is where i am getting these prices...

SPLs are 1000rms 2000peak.

#8197 - 05/22/04 12:42 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
[b]Linear SPL + fast transitions + low extension does a good subwoofer make.

I forget where sunfire's were mentioned, maybe it was here, maybe it wasn't, but if their bigger subs are anything like the Jr then the RMS power should be around 270 watts. They've had on their site before that the Jr was about 125 RMS and 1250 max. Peak of 10 times the RMS which is incredible. A store guessed about 400-500 RMS for them.

I hear excellent things about velodynes. I wish I could hear one of the higher end ones for myself.[/B]

peak of 10 times is nice, but that just reaches (with a lot more distortion im sure) where my subs start. 1250rms, peak over 3000wts.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited May 22, 2004).]

#8198 - 05/22/04 12:46 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by cbell2112:
Guys I appreciate all the info. It will take me a couple of days to digest. The most expensive sub that Tweeter carries is the DLS400B.

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp...rentPage=family

How would this compare to the Outlaw sub?

I know there is a million combos to chose from which I guess is a good thing.

I'm wiring for a second sub in the back of the room in case just one sub doesn't due the trick but this will not be a huge home theater so I won't need a huge sub hopefully.

read my post up above, i compared these two based on their specs. however now i see that the outlaw has 1300wts peak, so that may just tilt me a little towards them. however specs can be misleading, and i havent heard either, and i know that velodyne makes great products all the way down their line. outlaw is well respected, and hsu is too, so im sure they are ok as well. for me, i know velodyne has spend many, many years developing subwoofers and that is why they sit atop the class.

#8199 - 05/22/04 01:16 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Peak doesn't mean much of anything unless we know how it was derived. Well, really if all are derived from the same method of testing. Is there a standard for that in home theater? There isn't in cars, so everyone with any intelligence just ignores it. What about for RMS? My understanding is that it's sustained power for 8 hours or more. Is it the same for HT?

I had actually been hearing from some guys who know more that the Sunfire is priced kind of high for what it can do. Like georg said, probably has more distortion at the higher levels. It's been quite some time since I heard one. I've learned a lot more since then too.

#8200 - 05/24/04 03:08 PM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
So for comparison sake I'll use the DSL-4000 (yes i said dsl-3750 above, buy i want to compare 12" vs 12", outlaw=o, velodyne=v)

Driver Type: (o)Down Firing, 12" Long-throw Woofer;(v) 12" forward firing 9.9" piston diameter with vented pole piece. Advantage:velodyne, front is better

Ports: (o)Dual;(v)Extended Excursion Slot-Loaded Bass-Reflex
Advantage:tie, bass-reflex and dual are not so hot

Amplifier Power Rating: (o)325WRMS; 1300W peak;(v)200,400.
Advantage n specs alone, outlaw, however power rating is misleading, because the application and quality of the power are integral to its usefullness. so most people say lfm-1 is good, so ill go with them.

Frequency Response: (o)25Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2 dB;(v)25-120Hz +/-3 dB
Advantage:tie

Weight: (o)58 lbs;(v) 63 lbs
Advantage: more weight tends to make one think better build quality, larger components, better heat dissipation, but ill rate them even, so tie.

It is tought to say between those two, on specs. I may say Outlaw, however if you compared them side by side I would say tie, with my taste telling me Velodyne. However the SPL would crush those two, and is my recommendation for lower cost subwoofer. If you cheap out on the sub, you will always regret it.

To that person who said Hsu, yes they make ok subs, but only once you get into the tubular series (which is more $). Who really wants a tubular sub? The sonics of a tube may be great if you engineer it well enough, but ill stick with my driver firing to the front and cabinet normal. I think tube, I think bazooka, and when I think bazooka I think weapon not audio.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited May 21, 2004).]

Sorry I couldn't just let this one go, but I don't see anything here that would actually tell me which one will sound better. More explanation?

#8201 - 05/25/04 10:06 AM Re: Proposed new system--comments needed
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

perhaps saying who had the advantage wasnt clear enough... between those two models i concluded they were comparable at first, taking into account bigger amp in lfm1 (higher peak too), the edge would go to it on specs, but specs arent everything and i havent heard either. then i said the spl is best inexpensive sub. that is what i said isnt it? should i repeat my post further, or is this one saying the same thing more clearly for you now?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 136 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM