#81486 - 10/07/09 04:39 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingITGuy:
Quote:
Originally posted by Retep:
You seem to enjoy knocking everyone's wishes down unless it's something you want. [/i] [/b]
No, I enjoy knocking features that make no sense in an already overly complex market that is seeing sales plummet like turds from an elephant's rump. More complexity is the last thing this market needs.

9.2 makes even less sense when you consider that movies are not recorded, mixed or mastered in such a format and nor are movie theaters equipped with this format either. If the goal is to get your home to replicate the director's and sound mixer's intentions as accurately as possible (it is HOME THEATER after all), 9.2 makes absolutely no sense.

It just needlessly complicates an already convoluted market and will further push away acceptance by the general populace. [/QB]
Right, right.. make volume go down during commercials is a needless feature that complicates things. Very complicated indeed.

You sound like a guy that I worked with at Nortel Networks years ago. He told me that cell phone and pda's would never converge and that it would be too complicated for the average person etc etc.

If manufacturer's didn't keep up with the latest technologies and keep pushing the envelope there would be less of a reason for people to upgrade. So your scenario could work against itself as well. When automation of setup systems and walk through setups are simplified, these technologies tend to benefit the end user. It's when manufacturer's don't simplify use for the end user, complaints occur, then your scenario is true.

Same thing goes for operating systems. Keep adding features without simplifying the usability and you end up discouraging the end user. Doesn't mean added features don't benefit the user. It just means the developer has to implement it in a way that doesn't get in the way, isn't confusing and seamless to use.

#81487 - 10/07/09 05:56 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
I believe the main purpose of the front height speakers in a 9.1 system is to make music sound more like a live perfprmance rather than make movies sound like your in a theater.
I would think that all of the folks that couldn't live a day longer without being able to decode the new blu-ray sound formats in their processors, even though only a few dozen discs offered them as an option, will soon be unable to live without 9.1 processing.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#81488 - 10/07/09 05:56 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
If you buy a preamp/receiver solely based on whether it has Dolby Dynamic Volume, you get what you deserve.

As for comparing a preamp to a cell-phone? A convergent cell phone with a good camera and all the whizbang features saves you money and really only works when it's designed well.

There's nothing about a 9.2 preamp that is going to save you money. First off, the Onkyo preamp is slated to cost $3k. Second off you will need 2 more speakers than what you already have, you'll need even more wire and you'll have to most likely wall mount them, which is definitely not normal for most home theater consumers. There's nothing about that process that makes life easier for a consumer, particularly in this economic climate.

You are certainly welcome to keep looking for the next big thing in home theater...for me, I'm just looking for a quality piece that integrates HDMI 1.3. The 997 fits that bill more than well enough.

#81489 - 10/07/09 08:12 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Blogging - I think you are the one missing the point. I have noticed the exact same problem as Retep with my better half. In addition to live sports, there are limits on the number of programs that can be recorded in a given time slot, when you exceed that and are watching live programming you have to deal with commercials. I would imagine that in many households functionality such as Dolby Volume is very compelling.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#81490 - 10/07/09 08:50 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

There's already a feature that has been included in every receiver/preamp for years now. It's called the mute button.

#81491 - 10/07/09 09:11 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
You really don't get it do you?
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#81492 - 10/07/09 09:42 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Easy, fellas. eek

Dynamic range compression isn't simply for commercial relief. That's just the easy sell dolby and audyssey are pushing.

I just recently upgraded my bedroom Denon unit with audyssey dynamic volume, and it's a must for watching movies at night when the kid's asleep. Now I can hear the dialogue without the walls shaking from the kabooms.

Some manufacturers have implemented DSP modes like "night" and "midnight movie" in the past, but they aren't as effective as ADV in my experience. I believe it was absolutlely worth the $100 price of entry.

#81493 - 10/08/09 05:44 AM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
mgdurand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lafayette, LA, USA
"Right, right.. make volume go down during commercials is a needless feature that complicates things. Very complicated indeed."

You are not married, right?
Mirage HDT Speaker System (LCR [OM-5s for L&R and HDT-F for center], SR, SL, SBR, SBL [HDT-Rs])
Dual SVS PB12-Plus Subs
Outlaw Audio Model 7900 Power Amp w/Dual Emotiva CMX-2
AudioControl BijouTM THX� Equalizer
Rega RP1 Turntable
Dual Panamax M5300-PM Power Conditioners
Dual Monster Power HTS 2500 Power Conditioners
Dual Monster Power HDP 1800 Power Conditioners
Clearplay Blu-ray Player
Motorola VIP1200 HD cable receiver
Logitech Harmony Elite Remote

#81494 - 10/08/09 02:48 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by 73Bruin:
You really don't get it do you?
No, I really don't care about these features and see no value to having them and find it extremely weird that people would gravitate towards an Onkyo preamp over the 997 simply based on these features.

Like I said, if you buy a preamp based on those features, you get what you deserve.

So to recap, the notion that the 997 is obsolete before it is even released is just so much nonsense.

#81495 - 10/08/09 04:00 PM Re: Request for more patience re: 997 release
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingITGuy:
Like I said, if you buy a preamp based on those features, you get what you deserve.
I don't recall saying I would base my purchasing decision on any one or multiple features. I'm going to wait for the 997 to be released and read some reviews and earlier adopter feedback. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind that particular feature being added.

I understand your whole issue about being as simple as possible or stripped down to just incorporate necessary features versus unnecessary - wherever you draw the line. I just think there's room for both and we definitely don't see eye to eye, but I do get where you're coming from.

As for 9.2, it's definitely not necessary for me, as I have a good setup and built my own credenza that has everything at the proper height, but some other people may want it and really appreciate it and therefore I see no reason to deny them of that luxury.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts