Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#81383 - 08/28/09 11:35 PM Latest newletter on the 997
petemc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California, USA
I didn't see the latest newsletter posted in the saloon, so thought it might be useful for those who might not get the newletters directly from Outlaw.
To me, this update is very welcome, and I agree that late is better than poor quality.
Thanks for the update Outlaws smile

Pete

Model 997 Update
As many of you know, the Outlaws have been working with our design and manufacturing partners at Sherwood to jointly develop a single hardware/software platform that they will sell as the R-972 audio/video receiver while we create the exclusive processor-only version of the platform,
our Model 997. The plan had been for the Model 997 to be ready for production approximately sixty days after the first mass production release of the R-972.

There are a number of key hardware and software differences between the two products, so when you hear news of the Sherwood R-972's introduction, consider it a sign that the Model 997 is moving forward, but not the start of a precise "60 day countdown clock". Before production of the Model 997 starts we need to verify that the Outlaw-specific changes have been properly implemented. We'll ship it as soon as possible, but not until it meets our quality standards.

Given a choice between an introduction date that is a bit later than we'd like, or having the Model 997 be less than perfect, we'll choose the delay. We will continue to provide periodic updates, but to be pragmatic we have to say that the first shipments of the Model 997 will probably not occur until late this year.

With that in mind, we will continue to offer the Model 990 and Model 970 while inventory is available. Our current processors are great values, and remain so, but we know that some of you simply cannot wait for the Model 997. Therefore, for those who want a high-end processor TODAY, we are pleased to bring you some important news.

The Onkyo Professional PR-SC886

Through a special arrangement with our long time friends at Onkyo, we are pleased to announce that effective today, Outlaw Audio is an authorized internet-only outlet for the Onkyo Professional PR-SC886 surround processor. Anyone reading the forums knows that this product is highly regarded. Indeed, it has become the "I need something now" product of choice for those on the waiting list for a number of products. When we are asked to recommend a surround processor other than our own, this is definitely it.

The PR-SC886 is a world-class product with a unique package of features including THX Ultra-2 processing, ISFccc video calibration settings, Audyssey Multi-EQ, 3-Zone multi-room capability with both RS-232 and IP control, HD Radio, connectivity for both XM-Ready and Sirius-Ready antenna modules, four HDMI 1.3 inputs and two HDMI outputs, a phono input, and much, much more. The internal components are first rate, including dual TI DSPs, Burr-Brown DACs feeding balanced and single-ended audio outputs, as well as HQV Reon-VX video scaling and processing. As you would expect, the PR-SC886 has Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and even Neural Surround for use with the satellite radio services.

To make a great product even better, the Outlaws have gone one step further. While its depth of features and incredible flexibility are part of the product's appeal, some of our in-home testers found it a bit overwhelming to configure. Recognizing that, we have developed "The Outlaws' Guide to the PR-SC886" to demystify the setup menus and make it easy for even the most techno-phobic member of the family to operate and enjoy this great product. Just as a similar Guide opened the Velodyne SMS-1 to a wider audience, this Outlaw-exclusive Guide is just one part of our commitment to helping our fellow Outlaws get the most out of their home theater experiences.

Saving the best for last, here's the most exciting part of this news. Our everyday price for the PR-SC886 will be just $1,649. Despite the considerable discount from the list price, these are all brand new units with the latest software already installed.

Looking to save even more? Add one of our multichannel amplifiers, particularly our Model 7500, Model 7700 or Model 7900 with fully balanced inputs that perfectly match the PR-SC886's superb audio quality. We are offering special processor/amplifier combo prices that will let you blow the doors off your home theater without digging a hole in your budget. Click HERE to view the combo prices that save you up to $750 on a great sounding system.

In summary, as we continue to develop great new products for the balance of our tenth anniversary, we also want to make certain that you have a wide range of options. For those who want a great value on high performance audio products, there is no better deal on the market today than a Model 990 or a Model 970. For those who are anticipating a new Outlaw processor, stay tuned for additional news this fall. For those who want the certainty of something new before the leaves start to turn, we are pleased to present the PR-SC886 as an alternative. (After all, there is no better combination than two companies whose names begin with the letter "O"!)

No matter which option you choose for a new surround processor, at
Outlaw Audio, "The best values in Home Theater are just a mouse click away.™"

Best regards,

The Outlaws
Integra DHC40.1 preprocessor, Outlaw 7100 Power amp, Martin Logan Aeon II front speakers, Axiom LP150 center speaker, Axiom QS8 surround speakers, Outlaw LFM1 Plus subwoofer, Oppo DBP-83 Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD player, AppleTV music/photo server, DirecTV HR20 satellite receiver

Pete

#81384 - 08/29/09 11:50 AM Re: Latest newletter on the 997
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for the post. I was wondering what all the hubub was about. What I honestly don't get....

There is at least one merchant (not sure if they're authorized or not...but who cares?) selling the exact same Onkyo unit for $999. To be honest, even if those are refurbs, why on earth would someone want to spend an extra $650 to buy the same product from Outlaw?

Scratching my head....

The Onkyo does look like a very nice unit though and a number of folks, including myself, were actively discussing it as a viable alternative to the perpetually tardy 997.

I suspect Outlaw's stock of processors is very low and this is their stopgap to having no solution at all for a preprocessor while the 997 continues to languish in development.

Sigh...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM