Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8098 - 03/15/04 08:42 AM Suggestions on Improving my System
xzmr63 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Flint Twp., MI USA
Hello all. 1st of thanks, this is a great forum and u guys are great w/the help u offer. I want to improve my sound in 2 channel music mode. I have Paradigm Monitor 9's for my fronts. I'm using a Harmon Kardon AVR-230 as my Pre/Pro for the fronts connected to 2 M-Blocks. I have about $1k to spend. My question is: do u think I should get the Outlaw 950 or upgrade my speakers. Would the 950 make much of a difference over what I'm hearing w/the HK. I'm not unhappy with my current sound, I just "feel" like there's something missing and I can do better w/my current budget. I just don't know which way to go 1st.
Thx in advance,

dk

#8099 - 03/15/04 02:19 PM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Changing your speakers is the biggest difference you can make in your system. With the budget you stated, there are plenty of options out there. Grab your favorite CD and head on down to some of your local hi-fi shops and listen to whatever you can.

My personal favorite experience with a speaker in that price range would be the Sonus Faber Concertino. It really made my jaw drop with the size and depth of the soundstage it produced. You might, if you have the space for it, look into Magnepan speakers. They've developed a pretty loyal following so they must be doing something right. Their entry level speaker, the MMG, is available in floor-standing form for $550 shipped directly from them with a in-home trial period.

Good luck and have fun!

#8100 - 03/15/04 02:38 PM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Just my opinion but...

You will always gain the most from updating a transducer over a piece of solid state electronics. So my initial reaction is "speakers" will make the most difference.

You've got plenty of power and there's not much, if any, difference in sound between one solid state pre-amp section and another. So I still think "speakers."

But then comes the kicker: $1000 to spend.

Sure you can get a darn good pair of speakers for $1000. But you are already in possession of a pretty darn good pair of speakers in the Paradigms. While you could buy something that sounds "different" for $1000, I doubt that anything else will sound an awful lot "beter" - but that's always a matter of taste.

It does not hurt to go out and shop around and listen. But it looks to me like you are already pretty well off for listening to stereo music - and spending $1000 is not going to get you much more - sorry to say.

On this one I am sure that others might disagree.

Jeff Mackwood

#8101 - 03/16/04 12:14 PM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
You know, Jeff makes a really good point. At your price point, you are going to find many different speakers from many different brands. While all these speakers sound good in their own right, and while they will also sound different than your current Paradigms, they aren't going to be the end all to your "uprgradeitis." Don't get me wrong, I still think the biggest change you can make is a speaker swap, but Jeff's point is completely on the mark.

That said, here are some other options that you can do for under your price limit.

1) Look into the Benchmark DAC1. It's a pro-quality DAC that may help you hear what you are "missing" in your current system. It's also very easy to fit into your current system as you can use your current player as a transport.

www. benchmarkmedia.com
look under "digital products"

2) Pick up a pair of really sweet headphones and a seperate headphone amp. I picked up a pair of Grado SR-80 headphones last year and they provide a great 2-channel option to my main system. Look into the higher-end Grado and Sennheiser headphones. You'll be amazed at what kind of sound and image they can produce.

With your price range, you can also add a headphone amp that will truly let your "cans" open up.

www.headphone.com

#8102 - 03/16/04 02:00 PM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Here’s a bit of a “reverse engineering” suggestion: listen to another set of Paradigm Monitor 9's in a different setting. If you find that you can hear in this alternate setting what you thought was missing at home, try to determine if the difference is in the processing, the spacing/arrangement of the speakers, the acoustics of the room, supplemental subwoofers, or ???

#8103 - 03/16/04 03:59 PM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
xzmr63 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Flint Twp., MI USA
Thanks for your comments. All good stuff. Headphones aren't a good option for me for personal/lifestyle reasons. But thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of adding a DAC. The reverse engineering idea is good also. I think I'll go with the DAC for now and save my $ until I can afford to go to another level with my speakers. Maybe in the $2k range. You've given me some things to think about, and I really appreciate it.
thx,
dk

#8104 - 03/22/04 10:11 AM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
when you are looking to improve the quality of your sound, typically you need to consider the whole picture. it will only ever be as good as its weakest link. the great thing about speakers is that at all costs they produce sound, it just depends on what kind of sound you like. i think people go out and get a new component and expect it to be so so much better, and sometimes it is, but sometimes it is just different and they are disappointed.

#8105 - 04/13/04 11:57 AM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
NiceGuyWithEars Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Orlando, Florida, USA
I agree with virtually all of what has been posted. For an additional thousand bucks you probably can't improve your speaker situation all that much, though speakers clearly have the greatest impact on the listening experience.

Have you thoroughly investigated room placement, listening locations, sound treatments and the like? And can you say to yourself just what it is that you don't like about your current setup? If you can't then shopping for upgrades is going to be more difficult since you will have to perambulate from venue to venue trying to hear whatever it is that you feel is missing at home.

As to better DACs, you can certainly try them but unless you do a blind A-B comparison and can consistently identify the better ones then I'm betting you won't hear any difference at all in your room at home.

To tell the truth, when I start feeling that something is "missing" it often means that I am just hungry for an upgrade of some sort...any sort. That's just a symptom of audiophilitis and you'll probably be afflicted with it all your life.

Enjoy!

------------------
The Nice Guy with the Good Ears.
"The human capacity for self-delusion is nearly boundless."

#8106 - 05/28/04 12:44 AM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
miker Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ca
I was currently in the same boat with an H/K 310 and the outlaw 755 connected to a bunch of polk audio speakers.I also was considering the 950,but instead up -graded my cd/dvd player from a low end sony to a denon 2900, and that changed the sound of my system dramaticaly.

#8107 - 05/28/04 01:56 AM Re: Suggestions on Improving my System
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
1) Look into the Benchmark DAC1. It's a pro-quality DAC that may help you hear what you are "missing" in your current system. It's also very easy to fit into your current system as you can use your current player as a transport.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digital/dac1/

Would you suggest the DAC1 for those who have very high quality speakers, and associated solid state components for two channel? Is there an argument for more than one unit, as they are only a half rack space in width?

If so, would I run a digital PCM two channel signal via coax from a CD/DVD Player such as a Panasonic RP91 to the DAC1?

Now, I use the Outlaw 950 in stereo bypass mode for all two channel recordings, using the DAC's in the RP91. The RP91 also can upsample CD's to 88.2 kHz/24bit before converting to analog output. I believe this feature smoothes out higher frequencies (less strident than the unconverted signal) coming from this player. It may not be an issue with other players or the DAC1 however.

With all the hype on the newest DAC's in players, pre-pros, and receivers, it would actually be comforting to know that a separate pro quality box like the DAC1, would be a significant improvement for two channel purists. it also has balanced outputs, which is always a good option to have.

Best,
Allan

[This message has been edited by AGAssarsson (edited May 28, 2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts