Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#80956 - 03/23/09 12:19 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
Before we get too concerned if the unreleased processor is obsolete or not, we might first consider how many people are interested in adding 2 more speakers to the front. Based on how many people added 2 more speakers to the sides/back, I say not very many. So not having a capability that few people are interested in does not make a product obsolete.

So while some number of enthusiasts may fret, even hard-core home theater fans like me will yawn over this.

#80957 - 03/23/09 02:04 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
IndyScammer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Indianapolis
I would have to hear it first. I didn't add channels 6 and 7 due to wiring (built in wiring for 5.1 when the house was built). Additional front channels in my set up would be easy to add so I would consider it....just can't imagine what you would really gain.

Sounds like one more way for the Electronics Industry to get more revenue as technophiles upgrade. :p
Klipsch RW12d SW
Yamaha RX-V557 (the reason I'm here)
Samsung BD-P1600
Motorola POS - HD Cable
Samsung HL-T5676S (DLP)

#80958 - 03/23/09 02:16 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Very true. The height channel may be easier to fit into a lot of rooms than the rear surrounds were (haven't got to go as far with wires and it should work reasonably well even if your listening position is up against the back wall), but it's still not going to work for every user (two extra speakers to buy, two extra amp channels, and a pretty high likelihood that you'll need to do a wall mount for it to be worth your while).

The only "danger" that may exist for Outlaw is that the 997 is too close to launch to get PLIIz added now unless it can be added after-the-fact somehow (as Sanjay was pointing out), but it will need to remain in production for a few years. Outlaw doesn't (and can't) do the 9-12 month production cycles that you get from Onkyo or Denon. By the time the 997's been out for a year or two, folks may expect to see PLIIz - even if they will never be able to use it in their homes. This is always an issue for a processor that needs to stay in the marketplace for several years, and it's not anything that Outlaw hasn't faced before. If the format did start to get popular, though, an outboard PLIIz processor could be an interesting option for a lot of people (not just Outlaw owners). As you say, though, it's still very early.

#80959 - 03/23/09 03:26 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Since my current front and side speakers already go literally from floor to ceiling in my main HT, I have neither the space, nor the desire to add two more speakers "above" the front L/R ones! Perhaps a pair of Minimus 7's (or something of similar size) at the ceiling and just inside the L/R speakers -0 since I assume that this extra channel or two will not need to be anything like full range.

#80960 - 03/23/09 04:14 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
Grog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, SC
My 2 cents say that I’ve usually found movies sound best in direct, or pure audio mode on the onkyo I use as a processor and past recievers as well. The studio spent millions on sound processing/engineering to give the listener a particular experience, and I’ve found it seldom, in my opinion and experience, that any of the pro logic or thx formats etc can make many improvements, especially on a blu-ray. (changing 2 ch for an old movie is different) Dolby can handle 8 channels, but I have 50 blu-rays and 500 dvds and only 2 or 3 are actually even in 7.1. When if ever they begin using 7.1 more is anyone’s guess. I would love to see 9.1 on a blu-ray, and if they start making them that way I’ll buy speakers for the extra channels, but I don’t trust processing formats enough to believe they can make noticeable improvements changing 5.1 to 7.1, never mind height speakers. I want the engineer in Hollywood to decide what comes out of which of my speakers, not the computer in my pre/pro. Obviously, it’s just my opinion, and it may not be popular but I think receivers and pre/pros are great for making room corrections like distance delay, spl levels etc; but other than that feed it to me best you can as the artist or studio intended. Seems like Hollywood should get on the ball.

#80961 - 03/23/09 10:27 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
I agree with the comment that few people would even use this feature it was even possible to shoehorn it in at this late stage of the design game of the 997.

Kinda like....For every Pitts Special there are probably 20 or 30 Cessna 172's. smile A company like Outlaw needs to have a Cessna in order to do what they do and still earn a profit.

Best,

#80962 - 03/23/09 10:47 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by dengor:
Before we get too concerned if the unreleased processor is obsolete or not, we might first consider how many people are interested in adding 2 more speakers to the front. Based on how many people added 2 more speakers to the sides/back, I say not very many. So not having a capability that few people are interested in does not make a product obsolete.
It doesn't matter how many people are currently interested in adding height speakers. If it becomes a check-list item, then everyone will have to carry it.

Even if a tiny minority are currently using surround-back speakers, it would be marketing suicide at this time for a manufacturer to come out with a pre-pro that was limited to 5.1 channels and didn't have PLIIx processing.

Besides, if pre-pros start coming out with PLIIz, then that may end up encouraging folks to add height speakers in the future. As gonk pointed out, Outlaw doesn't have the annual product cycles of the big Japanese manufacturers.

So Outlaw can't limit themselves to thinking about what their customers currently want, they have to consider what prospective customers may want in the future. If the competition is going to have PLIIz, then guess who else has to have it.

#80963 - 03/23/09 11:34 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
In that case, I'd like a fusion reactor as part of my next pre-amp so I can go off grid and have plenty of power for my Maggies. LOL

Outlaw, where's my tokamak? smile

#80964 - 03/24/09 05:38 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
dcleary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Robbinsville, NJ
The height channel stuff has been in development for some time so I hope they offer it.

#80965 - 03/24/09 06:02 PM Re: New Dolby Sound
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 997 has been in development for some time, as well, and until a format like this is finalized and specs are in hand it's difficult (and very risky) to try to develop hardware around it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts