Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#80895 - 06/02/09 03:20 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

And that's a good point Gonk: not every room / speaker system will need a huge "improvement."

Remember I'm the guy who thought his SMS-1 was broken - until he figured out it wasn't doing anything because his in-room response was already perfect without it!

My move to a next-gen pre/pro is about getting an up-to-date feature set - in many ways. Audyssey will be nice to try out, and I suspect it will invoke only subtle changes, but the 886 has lots more to like about it.

And the Model 950 that it will replace? Turns out I've got enough spare amps and speakers (and an LCD flat panel) kicking around to assemble a fairly decent 5.1 system. Just might convert an upstairs room into a third HT!

And had the 997 not been made in China...

#80896 - 06/11/09 06:30 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
Gonk:
How about posting a review of the '885 on your website? These are still available as refurb's for WELL under $1K.

#80897 - 06/11/09 08:41 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'll likely discuss it some in conjunction with the Model 997 when I review the 997 (which I do expect to get to replace the Onkyo, since my wife dislikes the 885). I don't know that I'll have time to write a standalone 885 review any time soon, though.

#80898 - 06/20/09 10:31 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

The new Onkyo 886 should arrive within a week - just about the time when I take off work for a month so I'll have lots of time to integrate it into my system and check out its features.

Ended up getting it for $1443 - plus $107 for shipping.

Buying with my conscience, rather than my wallet, really cost me very little extra in this case.

#80899 - 06/20/09 11:28 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
The new Onkyo 886 should arrive within a week - just about the time when I take off work for a month so I'll have lots of time to integrate it into my system and check out its features.

Ended up getting it for $1443 - plus $107 for shipping.

Buying with my conscience, rather than my wallet, really cost me very little extra in this case.
Nice. I'm not certain, but I believe the 886 is manufactured in Malaysia (or at least assembled there). I know what you mean about China. I've lived and worked in China for a number of years and now that I'm back in the US, I'm doing my best to avoid buying Chinese products myself. It's not always possible, but you do what you can. I also realize that a lot of people just don't care and would prefer to see cheaper products. Different strokes.

I will, of course, consider future products from Outlaw, but not those such as the upcoming 997 that are made in China.

Best,

#80900 - 06/20/09 11:59 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I'll likely discuss it some in conjunction with the Model 997 when I review the 997 (which I do expect to get to replace the Onkyo, since my wife dislikes the 885). I don't know that I'll have time to write a standalone 885 review any time soon, though.
Not sure yet what I'm going to replace my Onkyo receiver with yet, and the time frame will depend on when the BD83 is available for purchase. If you plan on selling your '885, I might be interested.

#80901 - 06/21/09 01:00 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
gonk Offline
Desperado

I'll keep that in mind. In the meanwhile, if you want a BDP-83, go here - it will get you on the interest list, and they are offering invites to everybody on that list before they add the player to their order page for general distribution.

#80902 - 06/21/09 02:44 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

I already registered with them, and I've got a few emails. I declined to buy one of the pre-production units, but I hope they will notify me when the first of final product is available.

Within the last few weeks I've started seeing more low cost BD players at Wal-Mart and Costco, and the prices of BD movies has also started to drop (and some nice collections are now available.. such as a boxed set of the first 6 Star Trek movies). So I'm more interested in getting a BD player now than a few months ago.

I downloaded the BD83 user manual, and it DOES look like a VERY nice machine. I currently have the DV981HD, and I'm very happy with it. I hope the BD83 will play all the computer media files (mp4, mp3, ogg, jpeg, etc) that the DV981HD does so well.

#80903 - 06/23/09 02:34 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
Bigmouthindc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NoVA
Kscharf.

I am a happy owner of a BD83 and followed the discussion forums on this player from when it was just a rumor. The units being sold now are the final production units. As is OPPO style they will continue to refine the firmware and issue updates. There really isn't a reason to wait.

Instead of accepting all orders and then disappointing buyers with a backorder situation they are using the registration of interest and subsequent invitation to buy e-mails as a method of rolling out the product in an orderly manner. From what I've read, current invitations are being sent out within a few days of registering.

I think this is a lot like a new restaurant opening and you have to put your name on a list at the door. Right now there is a 5 minute wait for your table. Are you really planning to come back another day when you can be seated immediately?

#80904 - 06/23/09 03:13 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Ken, the EAP is over. Final product is available now and has been for at least a month. If you get on the interest list, the player you get will be final hardware running production firmware. The only reason you can't go to their site and simply order one is the high level of demand - they are working through the interest list as fast as inventory allows.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts