Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#80885 - 03/17/09 03:43 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
ramon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: florida
Ritz2.
They didn't promise me anything at any specific date or time but told me that they were working on a new product. They didn't have to say anything about the new product but they did so I think that was pretty cool. Thats great that you can buy a product when you need it, i wish i could do that.
Ramon

#80886 - 03/17/09 04:51 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by ramon:
Ritz2.
They didn't promise me anything at any specific date or time but told me that they were working on a new product. They didn't have to say anything about the new product but they did so I think that was pretty cool. Thats great that you can buy a product when you need it, i wish i could do that.
Ramon
Like most technology products, the latest audio/video gadget is always going to be better/cheaper/faster with more features if you are in constant "I'll wait for the next iteration" mode. Better for your sanity if you just draw a line in the sand and pick what works for you when you actually need that particular product. smile

#80887 - 05/13/09 06:08 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
BrentG Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by camtah:
I sorry, I caved in...
Forgive me my brothers...
I thought I'd weigh in here, as well. I recently replaced my 990 with a Cary Cinema 11a.

The Cary is a considerable upgrade in audio quality and price point (!). The Cary sounds fantastic, but then it should for its price. It has exactly the feature set I need - it's an audio only processor that decodes all of the latest HD formats. I'm already using a separate video processor (DVDO Edge), so an audio-only processor was a good fit for me.

However, the Cary 11a has been buggy from the beginning. It's finally reached a point (with FW 1.04) where it is stable and the intended functionality actually works. I was watching the AVS thread closely to see when the 11a would be ready for prime time before making my purchase. Even so, there are some smaller problems that still remain to be cleaned up.

And the Cary is not the only new high-end processor that has had major problems and has required multiple firmware updates to function correctly.

This is an area where I believe Outlaw really excels. Outlaw would never release a product this buggy. So, with the delay you are going to get a product that functions as it should right out of the box on the first shipment. And THAT is priceless. :-)

-Brent

#80888 - 05/13/09 10:33 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
skiman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Golden. Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by BrentG:

This is an area where I believe Outlaw really excels. Outlaw would never release a product this buggy. So, with the delay you are going to get a product that functions as it should right out of the box on the first shipment. And THAT is priceless. :-)

-Brent
I sure hope you're right, but I think the reason the 997's release keeps getting delayed is that they are simply waiting on Sherwood. Now, is Sherwood still in the 'debugging' stage? Or have other factors delayed it?
If the 997 'functions as it should right out of the box', it'll be the first HDMI prepro to do so. Let's hope so.

#80889 - 05/14/09 09:53 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

Audessey DSX systems are already out! Integra is going to have their 3rd iteration of a HDMI 1.3 pre/pro out soon...

#80890 - 05/27/09 04:20 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
Derrik Draven Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Lizards Breath Gultch, MT, USA
I'm still waiting on the 997. Wow, look at my member number! Talk about being a serious lurker, and non poster! LOL

...back to the shadows....

#80891 - 06/01/09 04:31 AM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
dcbingaman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis
Hi guys, I have to admit I gave up on the 997 and bought an Onkyo Pro 885 with the Audyssey EQ / processor. It is an excellent product and will put the Model 997 to the market test quick.

If any of you guys have any doubts about what this room DSP stuff can do - read Kal R's columns in Stereophile - he is right on. This processor has made the biggest difference in my system of anything else I have done - and this is coming from an old analog guy.

My old system consisted of a Sony ES E9000ES and P9000ES with a Sony SACD player and a Pioneer Elite DVD-V / A player played direct through the P9000ES analog preamp to three Hafler Transnova amps and a 5.1 Vandersteen set-up.

Cut to the chase, even on 5.1 SACDs, the Onkyo Pro is BETTER, principally because it eliminates several nodes and anti-nodes in the room that I was living with and never realized I could get rid of !! (In a completely symmetric, purpose-built room with excellent acoustics). And with HDMI digital hook-up, I got rid of about 10 miles of expensive Kimber wire and several gain stages. I'm telling you, this technology is a great leveler of rooms and loudspeakers and will prove to be a game-changer.

If the Trinnov works in the Model 997 as well as the Audyssey works in the Onkyo Pro, you guys are in for a treat.

#80892 - 06/01/09 07:38 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Glad to hear you love the Onkyo Pro 885 - since I just placed an order for an Onkyo PR-SC886!

Jeff Mackwood

#80893 - 06/01/09 09:52 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mackwood:
[QB] Glad to hear you love the Onkyo Pro 885 - since I just placed an order for an Onkyo PR-SC886!
Wow. There is a company selling these online for $999. The feature set is very similar to the Sherwood/Outlaw pre-amp with the exception of using Audyssey rather than Trinnov room correction (and the fact that they are available for sale now...hehe). I think with the integration of so much digital goodness into commodity chips, the higher end audio market is going to turn into a real horse race with consumer prices benefiting substantially. Kinda like computer prices plummeting when all of the major suppliers began using the same basic bin of parts to create their product lines.

Best,

#80894 - 06/01/09 10:12 PM Re: Couldn't wait any longer...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've been pretty pleased with my 885, but my wife really dislikes it and wishes we still had the 990. (Her main pet peeve is signal acquisition for audio and video, both of which are rather slow on the 885). I'm going to be curious to hear Trinnov when the opportunity permits, as I've found Audyssey to be of only subtle benefit in my room.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts