Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#80844 - 03/04/09 05:27 PM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Thanks Gonk,
So am I correct in saying that if I want the best of both worlds SACD and TrueHD I need a switch.
Any recomendations?
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#80845 - 03/04/09 05:53 PM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The only 7.1 switch I know of is the Zektor that we've talked about previously. The MAS7.1 is "only" $600, which is either the same price as the BDP-83 or $100 more (the EAP price for the BDP-83 came in at $499 and there's no word on whether that will hold for the official launch). The last time I suggested someone try a component video switch like this one as a 5.1 switch they found that the output levels from the component pathway (which would provide three of the six audio channels) didn't match the levels from the stereo analog and coaxial digital pathways (which provide the other three channels), at which point you would need to use two of those switches (each offering three channels via the left, right, and coaxial connections) to achieve effective 5.1 switching. To do 7.1, you need to either run rear surrounds from the Blu-ray player straight to the 990 (skipping the switching) or add a third switch box. After that debacle, I don't know of a third alternative that I trust.

There's also nfaguy's patchbay route, but it's not the best fit for everyone.

I guess you can see why I tend to recommend folks hold out for the BDP-83 when they want SACD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray with a non-HDMI processor...

#80846 - 03/04/09 10:59 PM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
You can build a switch from one of gold points selector switches. You would just need a case, rcas, and hookup wire.
http://www.goldpt.com/prices.html

I am collecting the parts for building a six channel passive preamp using one of their switches and attenuator.
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545

#80847 - 03/06/09 03:26 PM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Thanks everyone!
Frank
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#80848 - 03/06/09 04:21 PM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
kscharf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South Florida
I currently have an Onkyo '720 receiver. At the time I was on the fence between a mid to high end receiver vs one of Outlaws pre-pros. Both the 1070 and 970 units had many reports of problems that may or may not have been fixed in software. The 990 was a bit more expensive back then.

I still haven't gone blue ray, I'm still waiting for Oppo's new unit to get reviewed (I have one of their DVD machines and love it). Still there is the price difference between DVD and BD software. Blue ray won't catch on till the disks get cheaper.

Since my receiver doesn't handle HDMI (or even DVI) all my video switching is done in the TV (it has 4 hdmi inputs and two component). The Oppo's video processing is better than what the TV and most receivers provide. My HD cable box goes component to the TV (though there is a DVI option).

I'm happy with my current setup, if I were to upgrade it almost seems like the 990 would be enough. The 997 would be able to perform all the video switching, but I seem not to really need it (all I lose is the on screen display from the receiver/pre-pro). The 997 also loses the phono input for what that's worth (I DO use my turntable now and then).
Looks like I might only have a few months left to decide on this, don't know how much longer the 990 will be in the product line. Only problem is that the way the economy is right now I probably won't replace anything that ain't broken.

#80849 - 03/06/09 04:30 PM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
I still haven't gone blue ray, I'm still waiting for Oppo's new unit to get reviewed (I have one of their DVD machines and love it). Still there is the price difference between DVD and BD software. Blue ray won't catch on till the disks get cheaper.
I don't know if you've seen it, but the EAP for the BDP-83 allowed me to post my review . It's still getting refined (need to add DVD-Audio support and take care of some last bugs), but it's close. And unless your current DVD player is the 983H, the BDP-83 will give you a nice upgrade on picture quality with DVD's.

#80850 - 03/26/09 01:06 AM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
Dannic Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Gonk

I am in a similar situation, I purchased the Panny BD-55 BD player about three months ago and am enjoying the new lossless codecs thru the 990's analog inputs.

The sacrifice.....I have not listened to any of my cherised SACD and DVD-A via my Marantz DV-9500 DVD player for the same amount of time. (my cables are tricky to get at so I am too lazy to swap them out)

So I too am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 997.

My question is: do you think the new Oppo BD player would upconvert standard DVD's better than my Marantz and/or improve the BD quality as well over the Panny?

I believe that the Marantz does an excellent job with DVD's however after reading several threads on the Oppo being the best DVD player out there,I am indeed curious how the Marantz vs Oppo would play out for standard DVD's?

I could save some $$ (half the cost... $600 for new Oppo vs $1200 for new 997) by buying the new Oppo, keeping the 990 and have the best of both worlds...providing the new Oppo will indeed play DVD-A.

Your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Onix Rockets 850 Mains
RSC 200 Centre
RS 300 Surrounds
RK 250 Rears

Marantz DV 9500 DVD
Panasonic BD-55 Blu Ray Player
JVC RS 20 Projector
106" DaLite HP Screen

Outlaw Interconnects
Blue Jeans Cables

#80851 - 03/26/09 03:01 AM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
IndyScammer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Indianapolis
The beauty of the DVD-A format is it IS the DVD format. Any standard DVD compatible player SHOULD play it. I've only seen one DVD-A not play and it was in a friend's Pioneer Elite DVD player. The same DVD-A played in my old Sony DVD player and my new Samsung BD-P1600.

As for me...for future compatibility and convenience (I'm tired of hitting the TV source button to get the HDMI for my BD-P1600) bring on the 997 so I don't have to manually switch anymore.
Klipsch RW12d SW
Yamaha RX-V557 (the reason I'm here)
Samsung BD-P1600
Motorola POS - HD Cable
Samsung HL-T5676S (DLP)

#80852 - 03/26/09 03:24 AM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
My question is: do you think the new Oppo BD player would upconvert standard DVD's better than my Marantz and/or improve the BD quality as well over the Panny?
I skimmed a review of the Marantz. It seemed pretty complementary, but the lineage of the BDP-83's DVD performance is hard to argue against. If I had to predict a winner, I'd come down in favor of the BDP-83. I think that barring a setup mistake, there should be no reason for the BDP-83 not to at least equal the Marantz. It would probably even exceed it, although we're probably getting into the domain of diminishing returns so I wouldn't guarantee something totally mind-blowingly better.

As for Blu-ray performance from the BD55 versus the BDP-83, in theory there shouldn't be any apparent difference. Both should simply "get out of the way" and pass the HD signal cleanly.
Quote:
The beauty of the DVD-A format is it IS the DVD format. Any standard DVD compatible player SHOULD play it. I've only seen one DVD-A not play and it was in a friend's Pioneer Elite DVD player. The same DVD-A played in my old Sony DVD player and my new Samsung BD-P1600.
Yes, and no. Yes, a DVD-Audio disc may play on a standard DVD player, but unless it supports DVD-Audio (which includes neither the Samsung BD-P1600 nor any Sony product ever built) you will not get the losslesss audio offered by DVD-Audio's MLP. That means you're missing out on the main reason that DVD-Audio exists. To really play DVD-Audio and get the benefit from it, you need a player with DVD-Audio support. The BDP-83 has that support with the current EAP firmware, although it's still pretty rough around the edges. I expect the next round of EAP firmware to improve matters in that regard.

#80853 - 03/26/09 03:41 AM Re: 997 VS 990????? Yes or no????
IndyScammer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Indianapolis
So I guess this great sound is only 5.1 channel Dolby Digital. Damn...learn something everyday. Thanks for the correction. I haven't seen a new DVD-A disk for sale for a year or more so I guess this format is totally dead? Doesn't sound like I need to rush out and get a new player just for it (I only have a handfull)?
Klipsch RW12d SW
Yamaha RX-V557 (the reason I'm here)
Samsung BD-P1600
Motorola POS - HD Cable
Samsung HL-T5676S (DLP)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM