Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#8070 - 05/26/04 12:15 AM Re: 4ohm vs 8ohm
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
ok so i meant 14 speakers throughout my house, not in my one room. however that is the only way id have 14, until 14.2 comes out. by distribution, i mean mega-multi channel upwards of this http://www.nadelectronics.com/custom_installation/CI9120_framset.htm .

#8071 - 05/26/04 12:22 AM Re: 4ohm vs 8ohm
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Passive subwoofers are actually very common and are what I use. Professional installations are more likely to have passive subwoofers than not, although active subs are more common in the consumer marketplace.

Professional installations like in a studio yeah maybe, but not a professional installation in your home. Very few people have passive subs in their home. I realize that their are applications of anything, however I tend to speak in terms of Home Audio/Theatre as that is what most people here are interested in. If you cant generalize, then you would never get anywhere by talking. There is always an exception... If passives were so great and common, why not dedicate part of receivers' amps to amplifying subs. Yes, I do realize this can be done with a pre/pro, but we're talking popularity here, i.e. what do most people have... Anyway, I know I am straying away from any sort of point; it is annoying, however, for someone always to specify some single condition where the one time something someone says cannot hold true. Its like someone saying he could never jump that high, and then someone saying if he was on the moon he could... Well, obviously that is true, we aren't on the moon here, nor are we in a professional studio.

#8072 - 05/26/04 04:35 AM Re: 4ohm vs 8ohm
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

Curegeorg

I really don't care what you want to use for your amplification or who has extra amps or who doesn't in order to use this method. All I was trying to say is to give you an example of how someone could increase the overall volume without adding additional amplifiers, since you said "I don't know what I am talking about". Who says you "must" use 7 channels for 14 subs?It was just an example I gave you for better understanding what I was trying to say, since you also said "I am not sensible". You really don't have to copy it or even listen to it if you feel bad about it. I also stated this in my previous post.

There are many ways to patch and duplicate identical signal to different power amps. Why someone must uses a "distribution amp" in order to have your so-called "mega-multi channel". Also, those duplicated speakers are the same signal as the original; they are not new channels. An amp acts as a voltage multiplier. Simply put, it takes the input voltage, multiplies it, and puts it out to drive a loudspeaker. It really doesn't matter what application you want use it for.

No one trying to play "professional" in here; I skimmed few of your previous posts and I can easily see through your knowledge about audio equipments is shallow, limited and still stay in people so-called "Hi-Fi Audiophile" world. I have been to the ultra expensive and terribly overpriced hi-fi audio stores and have NEVER been impressed. I am not talking about local circuit city that kind of store. I'm talking about places that want to sell me an amplifier and a turntable for 20 thousand and speaker cables for $20 a foot those nonsense stuffs. Tell you the truth, the only place I have ever been impressed was in the cinema, studio, and live concert with professional set up. Please remember, there are people who use professional gears in here. When you start talking about people do not know what they are doing when they use pro set up in their home, no one feels comfortable about that. I know you are only interested in home theater, and believe more in “Hi-Fi”. But, please wake up and listen to what people are trying to teach you and learn from those people who know audio better.

#8073 - 05/26/04 08:08 AM Re: 4ohm vs 8ohm
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
I think SVS is hoping people think otherwise with regards to passive subs.

#8074 - 05/26/04 12:19 PM Re: 4ohm vs 8ohm
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by theendofday:
Curegeorg

.... edited for space

I did not realize that that statement was directed to you. I do however know why you responded, and it is the same reason as I stated above. Making a recommendation to hook additional speakers up to the same speaker terminals where you have other speakers already attached is foolish. (everyone else seemed to agree with their posts) It is dangerous for their gear. You can short out everything by trying to cram too much wire in the terminal and having a couple threads contact elsewhere. Granted you could be using spades or something, but that doesnt mean that the amp still wont be overdrawn and fail. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE YOUR APPROACH, but to recommend others to do that is irresponsible.

ill stick by my statement that few people have passive subs in their systems as well. like i also said, there is always an exception to the norm, and to always point that out is annoying, however i guess that is the purpose of forums to explore every angle and im sure ive done so myself.

by you telling me , theendoftheday, that you have been to such and such, had such and such, etc. means nothing. your posts reveal your interest/knowledge in audio (15 on this forum), as do mine (399 on this forum), and we should let them speak for themselves. feel free to read all of my postings, you may just learn something. my comments about your ideas was intended to be a warning for others. goodday to you.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited May 26, 2004).]

#8075 - 05/26/04 12:47 PM Re: 4ohm vs 8ohm
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Well the reason for the SVS statement was to show that passives are used. Yes, I agree that it is annoying when exceptions are pointed out, but the point was to show that the reasons behind the abundance of actives compared to passives may not be what you think.

#8076 - 07/03/04 12:15 PM Re: 4ohm vs 8ohm
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I use two 15" passive subs in my room connected to a Samson S-1000 Amp. I changed the VC's from 8 Ohm to 4 Ohm to try and get a few more db out of them. This did give me a slight increase in output, but the amp runs hotter and the circuit breaker in the Panamax 5300 (surge protection) is more likely to trigger. I also have two Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 amps, for the front and rear channels (old amps are better for old music), and have the capacity to run at either 4 or 8 Ohms. In fact there are multiple outputs for 4 or 8 Ohm devices, but I would never run multiple speakers from a single output. It is just too hard on the equipment and the gain is slight. Maybe I am looking at this from a tainted point of view. I guess if I had a room full of Bo*e speakers adding a couple per channel could possible help. (Sorry the Mean came out again)

The bottom line: Stick with your manufactures recommended values, which is most likely going to be 8 Ohms.

P.S. You can always add more speakers to your system by buying speakers with more drivers in them. You could build your own speakers and use active crossovers for each driver for greater flexibility.

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts