Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#80727 - 01/26/09 02:41 AM Re: 997 – obsolete on arrival?
barumba Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'd have to agree with gonk. In my case, I already have a Media Centre PC, an xBox360 and have set it up as a Media Centre Extender. With Digital Audio toslink to my Marantz receiver and component video to the Samsung Monitor, I get all my PC shared files on the monitor and receiver, so have no need nor desire to incur extra cost in the 997 to accommodate these features.

#80728 - 01/26/09 05:29 AM Re: 997 – obsolete on arrival?
syrotchen Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: texas
I have to agree with others I have had my 990 for a few years now and finally ran into the need for a HDMI switcher. I was glad to pay for the switcher 3 years later when the technology had finally matured enough to be reliable. Even now, I could have solved the video routing without HDMI it just helped solve future needs. Had Outlaw put in a flakey version of HDMI on the 990 I don't think we would have seen near the support and rave reviews for the 990. Having struggled through two Adcom preamps that couldn't handle digital audio reliably I never want to go back to "it works some of the time." As others have asked what do you really want an ethernet port on a preamp to do? I have a lot of Cat 5 and Cat 6 in my house, but really don't see a need for a preamp to be a part of that network. Give me great audio and pass video as a switcher, I don't need a preamp to do much else. I'd much rather buy another box that is dedicated to that function if needed.

Now to answer the question obsolete on arrival, in todays environment, most things on the shelves today are obsolete in terms of connections, the latest in capability or processing. However, I have 20 year old carver amplifier that does one thing very well. As long as I can get to RCA audio, I will still have it 20 years from now as reliable great sounding products are never really obsolete.

I see Outlaw processors in that same class, built like tanks, and they just work. I don't want them on the bleeding edge of technology, its to painful there. If my 990 is still around 20 years from now then it was a great product and thats what I would prefer to buy.

#80729 - 03/08/09 06:54 AM Re: 997 – obsolete on arrival?
Durask Offline
Gunslinger

I really don't see the need to network a receiver/processor. Those products need to deliver quality sound, that's all that's required of them.

What's preventing you from buying a dedicated media player - be it a full-fledged HTPC, or something more specialized like Apple TV or Popcorn Hour? Those things become obsolete very fast so it makes sense to invest in a quality audio component that will stay with you for a long time and just change/upgrade the media players.

#80730 - 03/08/09 12:56 PM Re: 997 – obsolete on arrival?
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

syrotchen,

Thanks for your observations especially about HDMI. As you know we took a lot of heat about choosing to go with DVI over HDMI when we froze the design of the 990. Some of our customers went so far as to declare that decision was a "deal killer" for them and they went on to other choices.

Now a few years later many of us have attended technical meetings on issues surrounding HDMI installations. As I write this, I am involved in solving a major syncing issue between two HDMI "certified” products. It is getting a lot better. However there are still some issues. Last fall at EHX, I was involved in a multi-company demo that involved brand new HDMI v1.3 components (receiver and Blu-Ray player). "Handshake" issues plagued the demo.

Our good friend, Robert Fowkes, has written a very good piece on these issues. While published in October 2007 many of the issues are still very much of a concern today. I encourage everyone interested in this topic to read the article:

http://www.rfowkes.com/html/hdmi_article.html

As you all know the upcoming Model 997 will have HDMI connectivity. However for the record, if we had to make the decision all over again on the 990 what would we have done? We would have again decided on DVI. It has served us well and this pre-amp has been rock stable. When the 990 stock finally runs out, this model will be remembered as a classic- easy to use, great sounding and of course very reliable.

#80731 - 03/08/09 01:21 PM Re: 997 – obsolete on arrival?
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, South Carolina
"easy to use, great sounding and of course very reliable."

And that is how you gain custom loyalty and repeat business. In my opinion Outlaw not only delivers on the above but at a price point that can't be beat. It's refreshing that in today’s fast paced, next best thing environment that there are still a few companies that look to build a quality product first and foremost.

#80732 - 03/10/09 02:32 PM Re: 997 – obsolete on arrival?
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Just wanted to put my two cents in this thread.
I am a loyal Outlaw.
I have personally met members of the Outlaw family at several Home Theater Shows that were fun and informative.
The Outlaws ALWAYS had an explosive demostration. Both visual and audio senses were pushed to the limits.
Scott always presented himself in a professional manner and was always receptive to questions.
Just like when I call him on that 800 number.
Peter Tribeman and I rubbed elbows at the Los Angeles show. Poolside sippping a nice cabernet. Well at least I was sipping on the cabernet. Peter was very giving with his his time and thoughts on the future of Home Theater. He also spoke about Atlantic Tech which I did not know was his baby.
Thanks Peter for a good time at all of the Home Theater shows My friend John and I miss them. You would recognize us as at the show after a few years because we would see your demo's two or even three times when we were there and took the time both you and Scott to answer our questions even when the show was over.

The 997 is a piece that I was sincerely considering for my own dedicated Home Theater. I have the 990/7700 combo which I purchased at the Los Angeles Home Theater show for a terrific price and since I had a discount from Fed-X the deal was even sweeter.
However I decided to hold off on the 997. First reason is that I thought that the video presentation would improve.
I have the Infocus 7205 1080i projecter Excellent picture.
How can you improve on excellent? A true Outlaw is always striving for perfection. It's part of the fun with Home Theater and Audio.
Talking with Scott made me realize that the performance in visual application with the 997 would not improve because of the TI Mustang HD2+ chip which would override or remain dominant in the video processing of the 997.
The audio processing would have improvement but honestly fellow Outlaws I am very much satisfied with the sound that I am getting with the 990 thru my B&W 804's.
I have not done the upgrade as of this writing however I am working up the courage to make it happen. I am a believer in "If it is not broken don't fix it."
Can anyone tell me if the audio is worth the firmware update? I do not want to have a problem.
If I do the upgrade should I set the 990 back to the default settings?

THANKS
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#80733 - 03/11/09 12:58 PM Re: 997 – obsolete on arrival?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I needed a little bit of clarification in the way I read a part of rubbersoul's above post.

"Talking with Scott made me realize that the performance in visual application with the 997 would not improve because of the TI Mustang HD2+ chip which would override or remain dominant in the video processing of the 997."

At first I said to myself, "There wouldn't be a HD2+ chip in the 997." Then I realized rubbersoul meant that the TI Mustang HD2+ chip in the projector would be the limiting factor, not the processing in the 997.

#80734 - 03/12/09 02:31 AM Re: 997 – obsolete on arrival?
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Then I realized rubbersoul meant that the TI Mustang HD2+ chip in the projector would be the limiting factor, not the processing in the 997.

That's right bestbang4thebuck.
I am sorry for the confusion.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts