Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#80618 - 12/28/08 04:28 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Hun:
Your original point was about more then that and you quoted the part I was responding to. The point is that people tend to think that THX is nothing more then the old TAP standards originally it was created for. A lot happened since for the HT market which has something to do with this thread don't you think?
I still don't get the drift of the point you are trying to make. If it is that much has changed since the original THX specs were established, that is true, but having been involved in the film sound industry since 1984, overall, I think that much of the change has been in details and not overall working practice.

#80619 - 12/28/08 05:42 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Hun, it certainly seems that THX is headed towards making its own room correction devices. The Utra 2 specs are still only standards THX requires to be in a receiver/SSP in order to attain that stamp of approval. They certainly have taken great steps to allow HT users to experience a cinema like quality. Altec pointed out earlier that THX was ORIGINALLY set up to standardize cinema playback to ensure that the artists intent was met. It also appears that Audyssey and the Trinnov systems are similiar in nature to the THX desire to offset the limitations most of us have in our home theaters due to space and placement of equipment. While the Audyssey system appears to be very accurate fpr analyzing speaker placement and the Trinnov system appears to allow a user to compensate somewhat for poor speaker placement, the THX system wants simply to translate the cinema experience to your home using technologies which will mix/enhance or attenuate signals from various channels of your HT to accomplish its stated purpose of translating the artists intent to the viewer/listener.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#80620 - 12/28/08 06:55 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Altec Offline
Desperado

Anything THX thinks it can make money at, it will do. THX computer speakers anyone???? confused

#80621 - 12/29/08 03:53 AM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maine
Quote:
Originally posted by Altec:
Anything THX thinks it can make money at, it will do. THX computer speakers anyone???? confused
Is it true that Sony never applied for THX qualification certification on their receivers because they didn't want to have to pay for it?
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60

#80622 - 12/29/08 04:19 AM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by akdrama:
Is it true that Sony never applied for THX qualification certification on their receivers because they didn't want to have to pay for it?
I don't know about Sony, but that's exactly why Outlaw never applied for THX certification: cost that inevitably resulted in a higher price to the consumer. They felt that the potential "gains" weren't justifiable for the associated cost.

#80623 - 12/29/08 04:29 AM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

I suspect that some solid parallels could be drawn between THX and ISO certification - not in what they specifically represent technically - but rather the market forces that caused them to come into being, their success (or not), their acceptance (or not), etc. One is in the consumer's face (THX) while the other is well hidden behind the scenes (ISO). However in between sits the manufacturer, who needs to go through one heck of a juggling / balancing act to decide if he wants to play - or not. And based on tons of first hand experience with ISO I think it's largely a crock, you can guess how I'm leaning with THX.

#80624 - 12/29/08 10:28 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Sony never applied for THX certification because their quality control is so bad that they'd never be able to meet the spec.

#80625 - 12/29/08 11:41 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingITGuy:
Sony never applied for THX certification because their quality control is so bad that they'd never be able to meet the spec.
Oh, I don't believe that for a minute.

#80626 - 12/30/08 08:21 AM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Sony never met a spec they didn't manipulate. You can't lie about your specs and meet THX cert.

#80627 - 12/30/08 03:17 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maine
Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingITGuy:
I have owned over a dozen Sony electronic products and have only had ONE issue that was fixed under warranty. So I can not confirm your claim of bad quality control.

Your last two posts seem biased and generalized. Sony is the "ONLY" company to manipulate specs? Welcome to capitalism motivated by human nature. But I digress from the thread's intention.

My next question would be...what is the "purist" way to listen to a film's original dubbing, unfiltered, uncodeced, unDSP'd, unTHX'd? Pardon me if this question is ignorant. Most movie formats are done in DolbyDigital, or DTS?? Or PCM the basic format with processing applied afterwards?

Gonk It sets distances and channel levels, much like the 990's auto setup does, but then it also applies audio processing separately to each channel (EQ, etc.) to try to compensate for room effects.

Does the processing happen "realtime" or just during set-up?
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts