Topic Options
#80608 - 12/25/08 06:00 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Hun Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by bobliinds:
A little OT, sorry...

While I'm looking forward to toying around with the Trinnov, I'm also amused by the disconnect between video and audio perceptions by HT fanatics.

They'll whine seven ways to Sunday if some color timing choice doesn't fully "represent the intentions of the director." And yet they'll post-process the soundtrack up the ying-yang without a second thought.

Trust me, the guys who engineer and master film soundtracks are artists the equal of anyone working on the film. Their artistic intentions are essential to the quality of the film and also deserve to be reproduced as they intended.
So then the industry accepted and endorsed THX post processing will also hinders percived artistic intentions as well? No. The truth is that no home theater will sound like commercial cinemas which was the original venue that the mix was intented. Also the video comparison isn't all that valid, for simple reason. The video even on BD is still compressed, and video just doesen't look like film no matter what.The sound however now can be master quality with no alteration at all depending on the studio's parctices, but the venue differences will be there just like I said earlier, so the so called artistic intents will be compromised regardless. Room correction software is useful just like room treatment to deal with each individual rooms, and have very little to do with artistic intentions.

#80609 - 12/25/08 07:50 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
THX' stated purpose for being is to ensure that the audio quality as it is produced by the artists is translated as accurately as possible. THX simply certifies that equipment is capable of fulfilling that goal. I would find it strange if we have any THX certified room correction equipment out there as that equipments goals is to do exactly the oposite of what THX wants.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#80610 - 12/25/08 09:11 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Altec Offline
Desperado

That is correct. THX, either professional or consumer, has nothing to do with a film's production or post production cycle, and certainly has absolutely no involvement in any creative decisions made on a dubbing stage.

THX was created solely to create a "standard" for the playback chain in theaters. Later, those THX standards were made available for implementation into dubbing stage acoustics and equipment. Still, no processing of a creative nature is performed with the THX name on it.

All THX does is certify that certain equipments meet the technical standards which THX deems necessary.

#80611 - 12/26/08 05:34 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally posted by XenonMan:
I would find it strange if we have any THX certified room correction equipment out there as that equipments goals is to do exactly the oposite of what THX wants.
THX has certified most of the Onkyo receivers and preamps that have Audyssey room correction installed.

Room correction equipment does not run counter to THX's stated goals as if done correctly will actually help a user's system properly reproduce what the director and sound engineers created.

#80612 - 12/26/08 08:28 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I would expect that THX can certify the receiver without taking the Audyssey into account because it can be turned OFF. THX won't care as to what processing you do downstream of the signal once it is generated from the player thru the SSP. THX appears to certify the output after the DTS/Dolby logics are applied but not beyond that because the codecs are used to process the original soundtracks in the editing phase and as such are part of the sound.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#80613 - 12/27/08 06:41 AM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Hun Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Altec:

THX was created solely to create a "standard" for the playback chain in theaters. Later, those THX standards were made available for implementation into dubbing stage acoustics and equipment. Still, no processing of a creative nature is performed with the THX name on it.

All THX does is certify that certain equipments meet the technical standards which THX deems necessary.
That is incorrect. These are all DSP based signal manipulations, that is part of the current THX Ultra 2 processing. wink

http://www.thx.com/technologies/index.html

#80614 - 12/27/08 06:57 AM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Hun Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
I would expect that THX can certify the receiver without taking the Audyssey into account because it can be turned OFF. THX won't care as to what processing you do downstream of the signal once it is generated from the player thru the SSP. THX appears to certify the output after the DTS/Dolby logics are applied but not beyond that because the codecs are used to process the original soundtracks in the editing phase and as such are part of the sound.
Movie soundtracks are edited/mixed in it's original PCM form. The lossy codecs are not part of that, those are simply "delivery" formats for theatrical or home versions.

#80615 - 12/27/08 07:05 AM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Hun Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
I would find it strange if we have any THX certified room correction equipment out there as that equipments goals is to do exactly the oposite of what THX wants.
How so? THX commecial cinemas are built from the ground up to achive certain requirements, that is not what's going on with HT's, nor there is such requirement and THX realizes that so a digital manipulation is the only way for them. I would actually be surprised if THX itself wouldn't have come up with it's own Room correction system soon. If you look at some their current processing like RE-EQ and boundary compensation, they are already doing some of that.

#80616 - 12/27/08 03:45 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Hun:
Quote:
Originally posted by Altec:
[b]

That is incorrect. These are all DSP based signal manipulations, that is part of the current THX Ultra 2 processing. wink

http://www.thx.com/technologies/index.html [/b]
Yes, DSP processing can be part of the THX spec for consumer playback, but I'm totally missing the point of your post. My original point was that THX had no input on the creative side of the dubbing process - it's only standard having to do with a soundtrack's playback (and kind of an unnecessary one at that).

#80617 - 12/28/08 02:46 PM Re: Trinnov Optimizer
Hun Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Your original point was about more then that and you quoted the part I was responding to. The point is that people tend to think that THX is nothing more then the old TAP standards originally it was created for. A lot happened since for the HT market which has something to do with this thread don't you think?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 169 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts