Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80516 - 11/12/08 12:20 PM Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
ToddJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am thinking about getting a new receiver. I already have an outlaw amp, so whatever I buy is a pre/pro set up. I cuurently have a Yamaha 2500. I think I have narrowed it down to the Yamaha rx-v3900 or the 997. I do enjoy the programed DSP modes, especially when I watch football. The TV sports mode gives you that echo effect as though you where at the stadium. Anyone else switch over from a Yamaha to the Outlaw 990?
Outlaw amp 7500
Sony DVD NS3100ES
SVS PB12-NSD/2---WOW

#80517 - 11/12/08 01:40 PM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't used the Cinema DSP modes since my old Yamaha Pro Logic receiver, and with it I found them to be pretty underwhelming. On the few occasions when we've used it, my wife has liked the 7 Stereo mode.

Are you watching TV from an HD source? If so, how often do you run into a broadcast that's carrying a 5.1 track? I ask because those broadcasts will not be compatible with a DSP mode anyway.

Your Yamaha 2500 has Pro Logic IIx and NEO:6 - have you compared those to the DSP modes? If so, what were your thoughts?

#80518 - 11/12/08 02:50 PM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
I made the switch from an RX-V750 to the Model 1070. Didn't miss those modes much, to be honest. I prefer the Pro Logic IIx modes.

I also liked the 5/7 stereo mode on the Yamaha but the Outlaw's equivalent is just as good if not better. Yes, I said it. I like 5-Stereo for music sometimes laugh
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#80519 - 11/12/08 10:03 PM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
ToddJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk,

I have Direct TV, however not hooked up to HDMI for audio due my receiver not having any HDMI inputs or outputs.

I have a 5.1 set up and due to irregularities of my room, would not allow for a 7.1 which is fine.

I have tried the NEO:6 and find the output confining, or supressed. There are a few modes I like such as TV sports, which hads a tri-field echo in the room, for which I can adjust to my personal tastes.. There are several modes such as Prologic II and IIx in either a movie or music format that add another demension to your listening experience...

Denon also has a matrix mode which is like the Yamaha's TV Sports mode. You can add delay to your back speakers so it sounds like your at a stadium.

I was hoping the Outlaw would at least allow you to do this. I emailed Scott and he said that you would not be able to add delay to give you that effect.

I love 5.1 Stereo mode when listening to music with the Yamaha. I have a Denon upstairs and I enjoy listening to music in their Rock or Jazz modes.

There are a ton of features that the Yamaha has with regards to streaming music, and music from your computer and or IPOD.

What would I gain from the 997 that I wouldn't get from the Yamaha. I guess Im looking for what would make the 997 better then the Yamaha.

Thanks for your feedback
Outlaw amp 7500
Sony DVD NS3100ES
SVS PB12-NSD/2---WOW

#80520 - 11/12/08 11:52 PM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
gonk Offline
Desperado

You can still get Dolby 5.1 from DirecTV HD service without HDMI - coaxial or optical is all you need. Frankly, moving to a digital output if possible is likely to be a significant improvement over stereo analog output. Also keep in mind that PLIIx-Music offers some controls that alter how the center and surrounds behave, although nothing that will create a delay in the surrounds. I'm not a real big fan of NEO:6 either, so I'd tend to focus my attention on PLII over NEO:6.
Quote:
What would I gain from the 997 that I wouldn't get from the Yamaha. I guess Im looking for what would make the 997 better then the Yamaha.
It's hard to speak definitively when comparing a receiver I haven't heard to a processor that doesn't exist yet, but I can theorize a bit. Mainly, you will gain better audio quality due to the DAC's and overall design of the 997 compared to a mass-market receiver like your Yamaha. That will be most apparent on music, but you'll hear it on movies too. There are different features to consider as well, but it's the audio quality that is the biggest factor in differentiating a product like the Model 997 from receivers like the 2500 or 3900. You'll give up those "popular" DSP modes (which Outlaw quit supporting based on customer input back in 2000 or 2001 when the Model 950 was in development), but it's not something that I've missed at all.

#80521 - 11/13/08 12:46 AM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
ToddJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk...I found a huge difference going from composite video to HDMI on my TV.

I have been leaning towards the 997. It seems like manufacturers are jamming more and more components into these receivers which in the long run cannot be good IMHO of course. More things you jam in, the more problems your gonna have.

I am in no hurry as the 2500 is still doing the job. I will wait on the sidelines to read the reviews, and make sure most of the bugs are worked out.

Thank you for your input. I enjoy reading your posts and have for awhile now.

Thanks again
Outlaw amp 7500
Sony DVD NS3100ES
SVS PB12-NSD/2---WOW

#80522 - 11/13/08 03:43 AM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
gonk Offline
Desperado

Oh, man - composite to HDMI is a massive change. smile If you've got an HDMI output on the satellite receiver, you should have optical or coaxial as well. You owe it to yourself to use one of those to connect to the 2500 and make sure the box is set to output Dolby Digital (not PCM, which will be downmixed stereo). If you think that the analog stereo out and a DSP mode (either PLII or one of the hall/jazz/stadium modes) is good, getting to an actual multichannel mix for some good HD content can be a whole different animal...

#80523 - 11/13/08 12:21 PM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
ToddJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I will report back...Thanks for the tip
Outlaw amp 7500
Sony DVD NS3100ES
SVS PB12-NSD/2---WOW

#80524 - 11/13/08 06:14 PM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
ToddJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Ok, When I have the satellite box on Dolby, I cannot mess with the DSP sounds that are Dolby mode on my reciever. I am assuming that is because they are not mixed in a dolby format correct? When its set on PCM, I am able to play around and hear the effects. Can you explain why that is? Still learning and appreciate it thanks
Outlaw amp 7500
Sony DVD NS3100ES
SVS PB12-NSD/2---WOW

#80525 - 11/13/08 06:46 PM Re: Not sure if I want to give up my Cinema DSP's
gonk Offline
Desperado

The cinema DSP modes (Hall, etc.) typically only work with a stereo signal - specifically PCM stereo or analog stereo.

If the signal is Dolby Digital 2.0, the Dolby decoder kicks in and because of the way the processing takes place those modes often cannot be used. (As an example, the Model 1070/970's 5 Stereo mode only works with PCM stereo or analog stereo sources - and not with Dolby 2.0. The 990 may behave the same - I don't recall and didn't see it mentioned in a brief glance at the manual.) You should still be able to engage Pro Logic II/IIx with Dolby 2.0 sources, though.

If the signal is Dolby Digital 5.1, then all of those modes are meaningless (there's already center and surround data, which erases the purpose of those modes). The only matrix processing modes that will work with Dolby 5.1 are Dolby EX (which was created specifically to expand 5.1 to 6.1) and Pro Logic IIx (which expands the capabilities of Pro Logic II to seven channels and can thus be used with 5.1 sources to expand them to 7.1). Since you have a 5.1 speaker setup, none of that really matters anyway and we can simply say that Dolby 5.1 stands on its own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts