Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#80432 - 10/03/08 05:14 PM Re: Cables
cvinfig Offline
Gunslinger

Two places: www.bluejeanscable.com .

Monoprice when you feel like making a decision as they have many options at different price points or Blue Jeans when you know you want high quality at a reasonable price.

#80433 - 10/03/08 08:42 PM Re: Cables
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
HDMI over Cat 5 extenders are starting to come down in price.
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.a...&pagesize=10000

#80434 - 10/03/08 09:16 PM Re: Cables
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
Quote:
Originally posted by rubbersoul:
Also I use MIT Terminator cables to the mains and center. I do not intend to change anything until I get the 997.
Everything looks and sounds great...but we always strive for the premium quality in audio and video. I just wanted to know with the 997 if for cd decoding and listening should I continue to use optical or change to coax for better reproduction of sound? Hope that the Outlaws put some thought into the 997 for people who listen to music.
The projector will be HDMI.

Thanks again!
I started with MIT T2 interconnects, then went up to MI-330 about 7 years ago, and now Oracle 3.2 XLR this summer.
I couldn't believe the improvement the Oracle 3.2 cables made. I did a A/B compare with the Mi-330, and the difference was night and day.

For your CD player, you can pickup a MIT Reference, Shotgun, or Magnum RCA Digital cable used (ebay or audiogon) for a reasonable price.

#80435 - 10/03/08 11:08 PM Re: Cables
Wharf Rat Offline
Gunslinger

Not sure if you guys have seen this but here is a controlled HDMI cable test with many lengths and manufacturers tested. Make sure to check out page 3 of the article where it has all of the test results. Also some good articles referenced at the bottom of the first page on HDMI in general. Bottom line is 35' at the highest data rates isn't going to happen with any cable by itself. At lesser data rates it might not be a problem.

As mentioned above, monoprice does very well on the cheap while some high $$$ cables boutique cables fall flat on their faces.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests

#80436 - 10/04/08 02:05 PM Re: Cables
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Interesting premise at this company: each cable indvidually tested just before shipment on a rig similar to the one used in the audioholics article*. The flat HDMI cable looked interesting ... I won't re-type all they say, you can go there:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/1080p-flat-hdmi-cable.html

Prices are not the absolute lowest, but nearly so - 10m to 35ft in the $100 range - with a performance guarantee. There just might be more technical knowledge than snake oil at this place, even if some sales talk is used.

Other HDMI constructions are also available, differing gauges, some with boosters for even longer lengths.

*(page 4 - real world results including cable compensation means longer lengths are practical).

#80437 - 10/04/08 05:11 PM Re: Cables
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Thanks to everybody. My fellow outlaws come thru with ample information. Lots of choices with reasonable prices and good specs.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#80438 - 10/05/08 04:51 PM Re: Cables
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
I have all BlueJeans Belden HDMI cables. The one for my projector is 50' and runs fine at 1080p60.

One thing to note with the BlueJeans and other good HDMI cables, which tend to be be pretty thick and stiff. You will need a good 6-8" behind the prepro for them to curve up down or sideways, whichever way they are being routed, and since they are somehwat heavy (and HDMI is such a poorly thought out connector), you would be well advised to think out some way to secure them. I have seen many stories of their weight causing them to sag in the connection and give people fits until they have figured out that is what is causing their connection problems.

I have an industrial type middle atlantic rack, and have mine going over to one side from the prepro, where they are velcro wrapped to one of the uprights, so they are very slightly forced into their connection, and only about 8" of the cable 's weight is on the plug.

BB

#80439 - 10/05/08 05:04 PM Re: Cables
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There is also a "port-saver" option for those heavy HDMI cables: MonoPrice makes a short (~6") male-to-female HDMI cable that can transfer the strain of the cable's weight off of the port in the component.

#80440 - 10/05/08 05:14 PM Re: Cables
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
In my opinion anything designed to run underneath carpet, with the quote, "Of course, it should not be walked on repeatedly." is plain stupid!!!

I realize this is not germane to the question but it upset my professional sense. Jim

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts