Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#80320 - 09/26/08 04:51 AM Bitstreaming?
x84HurstOlds Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Runnemede, NJ
For us HTPCers, the real question is, will it support DTS-MA and TruHD *decoding*, if given a bitstream over HDMI?

And, probably a long shot, but will it support HDCD decoding from the S/PDIF inputs? This seems to be cropping up in more and more high-end receivers and pre-pros, and is something I would be very interested in (huge Neil Young fan).

Phono pre would be nice, but with the cost of a decent turntable these days, I suspect many would prefer to choose a preamp in their price range anyway...though if Outlaw wants to make an offering in that field, I'm all ears.

My cheap SACD player doesn't have balanced outs, and isn't in my main system anymore anyway, the HTPC both took up the space and eliminated the need for BD/(HD)-DVD/CD playback and while I love my SACDs, they are few in number; so that's not a deal-breaker for me.

#80321 - 09/26/08 11:45 AM Re: Bitstreaming?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
For us HTPCers, the real question is, will it support DTS-MA and TruHD *decoding*, if given a bitstream over HDMI?
Yes, it will.
Quote:
And, probably a long shot, but will it support HDCD decoding from the S/PDIF inputs? This seems to be cropping up in more and more high-end receivers and pre-pros, and is something I would be very interested in (huge Neil Young fan).
Ah, now that's a harder one - I don't think we know. Of course, if your player/HTPC decodes it and spits out LPCM (possible via HDMI), it might not matter...

#80322 - 09/26/08 07:05 PM Re: Bitstreaming?
x84HurstOlds Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Runnemede, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Quote:
Yes, it will.

Excellent - and thank you, Gonk; as always, you are on top of all things Outlaw laugh

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, now that's a harder one - I don't think we know. Of course, if your player/HTPC decodes it and spits out LPCM (possible via HDMI), it might not matter...
True, there are other ways around, although I feel it's just more convenient to have it in the pre/pro. Hadn't thought about getting it there via LPCM...I have to re-research it, I think WMP of all things will read it from disc and decode it, but not from a ripped file.

Now, I just need to find $1399... laugh

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM