Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 11 of 19 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19 >
Topic Options
#80210 - 11/08/08 06:48 PM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I certainly agree the two examples I used are rare (even though I wanted some self powered M&Ks at one time) and your analogy is good. No conflict at all. The benefits of balanced vs unbalanced debate has consumed a lot of energy and I don't want to heat up that discussion. I can see the marketing angle for a particularly feature but I wonder what came first; the consumers buying products with balanced outputs and the manufacturers responding or the manufacturers pushing them?

#80211 - 11/09/08 06:10 AM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
I wonder what came first; the consumers buying products with balanced outputs and the manufacturers responding or the manufacturers pushing them?
An executive in the industry once indicated to me that manufacturers/marketing came first.

In its way, it was a clever strategy for distinguishing a product in a crowded marketplace, but we're now all paying for it. Pointlessly, IMO; gratefully, in the opinions of others.

#80212 - 11/09/08 09:27 PM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I think that's a question that can't be definitively answered. It can be answered, but any answer will be debated without resolution.

I still see more than one way to interpret the omission of a phono section. One is that they don't care about high performance two-channel audio quality. Another is that they recognize that the quality of phono section that could be included in a product of this type would not offer the sort of performance that a discerning ear and good vinyl setup would deserve, so they omitted it entirely rather than furnish something that was inherently limited.
Hey, glad to see this discussion back on a civil, interesting track. Gonk, I need to play devil's advocate here so please indulge me. If the omission of the phono section was a quality decision, what on earth are composite video inputs doing on the back of this thing? Is there a lower-quality way to watch video? Anyone out there using these for anything other than maybe a mini-monitor for 990 menu viewing? Would have gladly had the cost of those yellow relics funneled into a decent phono stage, but I guess we could go around and around on this (kind of like a nice slab of vinyl...;-) forever...
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#80213 - 11/09/08 09:42 PM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Composite video is a different issue than phono preamp. The phono preamp is a question of audio quality, while the composite video input is a question of compatibility and legacy support. There is no way you could connect a VCR or other video source (like my SMS-1) through a processor without a composite input - there's no outboard "transcoding box" that will make it component video. If you remove it entirely then you are telling your customers "I don't care if you want to hang on to that VCR, old game console, camcorder, Video iPod, or the SMS-1 that we sold you - you can't use it with our processor." That's a touch rude... wink

Here's a loosely related question: "why do Blu-ray players typically have composite outputs?" (After all, who on Earth is going to buy a Blu-ray player and hook it up to any display that only has a composite video input!?!?) The answer I've gotten is that leaving a composite output helps in troubleshooting customer setups by eliminating resolution compatibility and other issues.

#80214 - 11/09/08 09:50 PM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
...Here's a loosely related question: "why do Blu-ray players typically have composite outputs?" (After all, who on Earth is going to buy a Blu-ray player and hook it up to any display that only has a composite video input!?!?) The answer I've gotten is that leaving a composite output helps in troubleshooting customer setups by eliminating resolution compatibility and other issues.
Gonk: Aside from what you correctly suggest, some people may use the composite output to feed a multiroom system. So far, those are mostly analog only.

#80215 - 11/10/08 02:25 PM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

OK, I'll jump in...Regarding the xlr outputs: the back of my rack is a maze of wires (isn't your?), where ac power cords from the many components cross path, this is never good. I try to avoid it, but I can't always. My amps are in a nook behind the tv, and again, inputs are too close to ac lines, and plasma noise. Balanced lines are a huge plus! Even on a .5 meter run to my xover, the sound was better "fuller" with "fatter midrange" when I switched to xlr! Regarding the phono input, I have plans to set up a nice turntable. BUT, there are many grades of phono preamps, and I want something either class A or tubes or both. Some want a lower cost unit, just for old Christmas albums or george carlin, or whatever...The point is, now you can take your pick, phono pres at the low end could be had for a "song", and for guys like me and my maggies, I won't be sick of spending for the included pre. It would make me wonder what they left out in favor of it! Also, keep in mind that the phono is a very low level device, as such it could pickup much internal noise from the 997, till it's boosted to higher unbalanced levels. It's best to do this in a seperate box, close to the actual turntable, no?

#80216 - 11/10/08 10:18 PM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Yeah, it would seem to me to be kind of foolish to sell your flagship pre-pro without balanced outs when your flagship amps have balanced ins.

#80217 - 11/11/08 02:56 AM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
JSinnott Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Gainesville, FL
I've got a question: will the 997's tuner be able to pick up HD radio?

#80218 - 11/11/08 03:50 AM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Don't know - I haven't seen any mention of HD radio for the 997 or its Sherwood sibling the R-972, but I haven't been seeking it out either so I could have overlooked it.

#80219 - 11/11/08 02:20 PM Re: Model 997 Preliminary Product Page
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
November....It seems like January is a long way off.
I was hoping to hear by now an affirmative launch date for the 997 as well as some reviews from the likes of Home Theater magazine and Sound and Vision.
At least the reviews by now.
How does Outlaw think the 997 will fair without any independent reviews before the sale date?
I read that Outlaw intends or hopes to release the 997 by the holidays but more likely after the holidays...January. Undoubtedly it seems that the idea of launching the sale date of the 997 without any reviews would be a hugh mistake.
The OUTLAWS do not make those kind of errors. I do not think that the 997 will be released prior to January and not until after January.

I am off today with one of my friends to look and listen to the Integra 9.9. He is ready to buy.
I am considering holding him hostage until Outlaw releases the goods. mad mad mad
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

Page 11 of 19 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts