Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#80067 - 09/21/08 07:44 PM Question to current users of Audyssey etc.
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Not to duplicate any of the other threads, but as someone with only minimal first-hand experience (ie. the Velodyne SMS-1), I'm wondering two things from those who have used Audyssey-equipped gear:

1. How would you characterize its performance? and

2. Are you able to easily display (and perhaps capture) room response curves etc.?

Would one be able (for example) to initially use the unit not to "correct" the room / speaker response, but rather to measure and display it only? Could one then take some initial steps in changing placements, room treatments, etc. to see how this affects the response curve, before turning the correcting abilities of the system loose to mop up the rest?

#80068 - 09/21/08 10:33 PM Re: Question to current users of Audyssey etc.
apodaca Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Texas
Auddessay takes individual speaker measurements for a single position or several then calculates 3 curves for the corrected room response ( Front, Flat and Auddessey ). The results are visible for each channel for each curve and one can see the frequency response etc. At this point one can choose to save the results or discard them

To my knowledge there is no unit that currently allows one to save a different set of 3 correction curves. Best one can do to check effect of treatment and toe in etc, would be to write down the frequency response correction from a previous measuremnt for each channel and compare with that of a second set of correction curves calculated after the adjustments to the room were made.

However, this assumes that each time you run auddessey you get the same correction curves and I dont beleve that has been or is the case so if you want a scientific comparison you may need to take an average of many sets both prior to and after making any adjustments (its possible for the variation in the addessey calculation to be greater than the effect caused by installing sound treatments for example).

In my room treated for first reflection points and very symetrical, I find that pure direct or unprocessed sound is best to my ears but its possible that your results with it will be different. For example, speakers that are bright on their own might be rolled off and likewise if you own warm speakers the auddessey result might make them sound bright etc. I did find a couple of speakers that were wired out of phase though so its a good diagnostic tool.

#80069 - 09/22/08 08:38 PM Re: Question to current users of Audyssey etc.
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Thanks.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM