Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#80029 - 09/20/08 11:30 PM 997 Video Processing
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
There sure is a lot of deserved excitement over the upcoming 997 and much of the attention so far has been directed at the Trinnov Optimizer and how it might compare to the Audyssey system. So I'd like to open the discussion on the other major improvement in the 997: video processing.

The 997 will come out at about the same time as Oppo's BDP-83 that will have Blu-ray, decoding of all the new lossless codecs, and all the features of their DV-983H for improving standard DVDs. Cost for this new Oppo will be somewhere around $500 to $700. The new Oppo begs the question how the SO Reon video processing stacks up against Anchor Bay Technologies VRS as implemented in the DV-983H? Is there a consensus regarding the relative strengths and weaknesses of these two video processing approaches?

#80030 - 09/21/08 02:45 AM Re: 997 Video Processing
rmilewsk Offline
Gunslinger

I've heard mostly good things about both the reon and anchor bay chips. I would assume like most things the quality they produce will be determined by how well they are implemented. The things I would most like to see are upconverting of everything to hdmi and pass through unscathed of 24fps/48hz, deep color etc.

#80031 - 09/21/08 02:54 AM Re: 997 Video Processing
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Implementation is important no matter what, of course, and we don't know about how the 972/997's Reon implementation will stack up with others. Doing scaling in a receiver is also more complex than in a DVD player, because the possible array of video input signals increases significantly when you open up the field to any connected video component (from 480i analog to 720p and 1080i broadcast HD). Having said that, what I've seen consistently when following discussions of the 983H is that most people who have used both the 983H's ABT implementation and various Reon implementations is that the 983H tends to appear more film-like. The Reon solutions are often said to be a bit more "plastic" in appearance. It's still a very good hardware platform, and many people are very fond of it.

There are so many things to wonder about at this point regarding the 997, but I'll toss out another that falls into the realm of video processing. One issue that I've seen mentioned regarding some other processors and receivers (I remember it coming up with the Onkyo 905 and the 9.8 and 885 processors that were based on it) is a lack of per-input video controls - particularly a "video bypass" option that would allow really high performance sources (such as the 983H) to pass through untouched while still allowing processing to be employed for other inputs.

#80032 - 09/21/08 03:53 AM Re: 997 Video Processing
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
You all may have already ready this but here is some interesting info on the Reon chip.

SO Reon video http://www.siliconoptix.com/contentEngin...2e-314dbfaf0518
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#80033 - 09/21/08 04:52 PM Re: 997 Video Processing
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Thanks Gonk for the insights when comparing ABT and SO video processing. From a video standpoint I wonder if combining the new OPPO BD player with the 997 would be a bit of overkill. If the OPPO takes care of DVD and Blue-ray and HD TV is pretty good as-is, that leaves standard def TV, LD players, VCRs, etc for the 997 to process. As was noted, that would be a tall order for a pre/pro to handle such a variety of inputs. Separate video settings for each input would be very nice in that situation. I recall there was a steady number of requests from 990 users to do just that on the audio side and it makes sense to have separate settings for each audio and video input on the 997.

Am I wrong that most displays will still apply their own processing to an input signal? If so, this makes comparisons between SO and ABT even harder.

#80034 - 09/21/08 05:25 PM Re: 997 Video Processing
gonk Offline
Desperado

Blu-ray shouldn't need much video processing - it's those SD sources that need to be "worked over" to be displayed on an HD display that push the need for good video processing. The BDP-83 should offer a great solution for standard DVD (as the 983H already does today), but it can't help with all of that SD television material you may still be watching or those other SD sources (Wii, VHS, LD, and so forth). Considering how dreadful the scaling and deinterlacing are in every HD cable box I've used (particularly deinterlacing), I find the idea of a good video processor to take proper care of those sources appealing - as long as I can skip that extra processing when my good sources (983H DVD and Blu-ray would be basically it, although I do still have an HD-DVD player sitting around here looking rather forlorn as well), it could be great.

Any display will probably do a little processing, although it's not guaranteed. The signal must reach the display's native resolution (which varies from display to display, although a lot of "720p" flat panels are 768p). If it arrives in some other resolution, the TV must make adjustments. Deinterlacing is particularly tough, so delivering a progressive image to a display can make a big difference. Some display also offer a "per pixel" mode that allows a 720p or 1080p (depending on the native resolution) to be displayed without processing, even if it means sacrificing a few lines of pixels.

#80035 - 09/21/08 06:33 PM Re: 997 Video Processing
AvFan Offline
Desperado

I'll have to check, but I don't think my 768p Pioneer does 1:1 pixel mapping and it wouldn't matter if the 997/Reon didn't output at that resolution. Before I bought the Pioneer I was looking at a 768p Panasonic display and the ABT/DVDO vp20 because the vp20 could output at 768p and the Panasonic was 1:1 capable. Cost became a big issue real quick.

I wonder if the 997 could output at 768p? There are a lot of us 768ers out there. I imagine the processing done by the display to take a 720p signal to 768p is relatively minor but it still would be a very nice feature.

One other thing, does the SO Reon support automatic/continuous lip sync? Lip sync has to be one of the most annoying problems and really detracts from HD TV. At times it feels like I'm watching an old Godzilla movie! This feature alone might put me on the 997 waiting list.

#80036 - 09/21/08 08:22 PM Re: 997 Video Processing
gonk Offline
Desperado

The problem with 768p output (as I learned while beta testing the 983H) is that there is no "standard" 768p: the video timings and horizontal resolution vary widely, making it impossible for a scaler to offer a "768p" mode without providing the user with some very complex controls for evaluating and coping with that variation. That is why OPPO omitted such resolution control from the 983H (in addition to a lot of software work, it would have required additional hardware to implement a truly "all purpose" resolution control). It's most unfortunate that 768p has proliferated as widely as it has, because that particular resolution is simply absent from any standards (even the HDTV specs, which include a laundry-list of resolutions beyond the 720p and 1080i that we're used to). On the bright side, converting 720p or even 1080p to 768p is relatively "simple" enough that most TV's can do a respectable job with it. Just get the deinterlacing done first - that's a biggie.

Lip sync controls are a good question. The Reon alone can't be responsible for that, although the implementation would hopefully include provisions for coordinating between the Reon and the DSP section so that any video delays created inside the 997 are matched with corresponding audio delays. There is still the issue of video delays incurred external to the 997 that we'll need provisions to correct for...

#80037 - 09/25/08 03:22 PM Re: 997 Video Processing
Scooby Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

What I want to know is if we will be able to bypass any and all processing and simply have the 997 pass along the video signal untouched...

I already have a RadianceXD, thankyouverymuch...

#80038 - 09/25/08 03:27 PM Re: 997 Video Processing
gonk Offline
Desperado

We don't know, of course, but I think it's safe to assume that at a minimum there would be a "pass through" option for the video processing. The bigger question in my mind is if we can bypass processing for specific inputs (which can be desirable for Blu-ray players or DVD players with really good video processing, for example) while still using the processing for other inputs (like our cable boxes that have dreadful scaling/deinterlacing or those less high-performance DVD players).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM