Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#79995 - 09/22/08 06:18 AM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
Dundas Offline
Gunslinger

So with multiple presets would I be able to have, for example, a "doors open" and a "doors closed" selectable settings for my room?

#79996 - 09/23/08 11:24 AM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
ronrags Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NJ
I have a different perspective on room equalization since I, like many others here, don't have a dedicated disigned HT room. My system is set-up in a living room where I have 2 opennings without doors. I do have acoustic treatments throughout the room, but I'm not sure if it is giving me the best sound for my system. The treatments certainly helped since I had a lot of reflections. There are certain frequencies, probably in the upper bass range that tend to sound a bit honky sometimes. I'm no expert, but I welcome any help that may give me an idea where my problems lie and hopefully correct it.

I would also like to know if the Trinnov equalization would work for 2-channel listening.

#79997 - 09/24/08 04:54 AM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
rmilewsk Offline
Gunslinger

[/QUOTE]

People who are new to this especially need to realize that if they think that they can give no thought to the room's acoustics and assume that this miracle black box will make everything perfect, they are fooling themselves. [/QUOTE]

I don't think many people on this forum are expecting EQ to make their system perfect, just better than without it. Ultimately I don't see why it matters how good or bad it is. If it makes your system sound better leave it on, if it doesn't turn it off.

#79998 - 09/24/08 02:16 PM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by rmilewsk:
People who are new to this especially need to realize that if they think that they can give no thought to the room's acoustics and assume that this miracle black box will make everything perfect, they are fooling themselves. [/QUOTE]

I don't think many people on this forum are expecting EQ to make their system perfect, just better than without it. Ultimately I don't see why it matters how good or bad it is. If it makes your system sound better leave it on, if it doesn't turn it off. [/QUOTE]

My post wasn't necessarily addressing the regulars on this forum, but the people who are new to this and are bombarded by claims, some of which are misleading to say the least.

#79999 - 09/25/08 04:39 PM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
SoundOfMind Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I wish I could put more acoustic treatment in my less than ideal room. Even if I spent $5k on treatment, it wouldn't be perfect. I use my 990 with two Behringer DEQ2496 equalizers for L/C/R/Sub and it helps. I always wished that I wasn't doing the digital to analog to digital to analog path this requires. If all this is done in the digital realm within the 997, it can't help but be better.

Hello 997, hello ebay for the DEQ2496s and 990!
DirecTV HR20-700
PS3, XBox
Denon DVD-1910
Squeezebox using FLAC files
Panasonic PT-AE700U (upgrading)
Gemstone Blue Diamond 7x200W
Dali Helicon 400/C200/Phantom
Velodyne 15" Sub

#80000 - 09/25/08 04:54 PM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by SoundOfMind:
If all this is done in the digital realm within the 997, it can't help but be better.
Yes, the processing will be performed in the digital domain, but if you listen to any analog sources, they will be converted to digital in order to be processed. If you only listen to digital program material, this is not an issue, but if you listen to vinyl or any other analog source, then you're no better off than before.

#80001 - 09/25/08 05:20 PM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
SoundOfMind Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I just couldn't stand the hassle, ticks and pops of vinyl, so I switched over to digital long ago.

I never thought SACD was a viable alternative, with all the paranoia about analog only out. What about bass management?

Is DVD audio, with 192kHz/24bit happening? I assume that would be an HDMI output. I assume that I would not be permitted to back up to hard drive or use anything like a Squeezebox to play it.

I just got my Bravo robotic ripper running. I put a stack of 25 of my CDs in at night and get 25 bit perfect FLAC lossless compressed albums out. Album art is included. That was a fun programming project! I don't know if it would ever be commercially viable and there is competition. There are questions about commercial usage of EAC, which I am controlling with the AutoIt dll.

The coaxial output of my Squeezebox feeds digital to the 990. This should correct any potential jitter problems that can happen when playing CDs. Also, there is nothing like creating a playlist rather than flipping through discs. With four Squeezeboxes around the house, I can sync them for parties or run them independently. For the moment, I think that that is as good as I can do.
DirecTV HR20-700
PS3, XBox
Denon DVD-1910
Squeezebox using FLAC files
Panasonic PT-AE700U (upgrading)
Gemstone Blue Diamond 7x200W
Dali Helicon 400/C200/Phantom
Velodyne 15" Sub

#80002 - 09/25/08 07:21 PM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
SACD and DVD-Audio can both go digitally via HDMI, which solves the bass management headache and allows you to consolidate your investment in good analog performance in one place. DVD-Audio as a format is not quite dead, but it's frightfully close. A handful of independent labels offer DVD-A releases from time to time, but it's extremely rare. Basically, DVD-A is all but dead as far as new releases...

#80003 - 09/25/08 07:50 PM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
SACD and DVD-Audio can both go digitally via HDMI, which solves the bass management headache and allows you to consolidate your investment in good analog performance in one place. DVD-Audio as a format is not quite dead, but it's frightfully close. A handful of independent labels offer DVD-A releases from time to time, but it's extremely rare. Basically, DVD-A is all but dead as far as new releases...
The HDMI option came too late to the game to save DVD-A and SACD, by insisting on copy protection the recording industry made it too difficult for the average joe and a headache because of bass management and multiple D/A A/D conversions for the rest of us.

#80004 - 09/25/08 08:29 PM Re: Question about Trinnov EQ.
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
SACD and DVD-Audio can both go digitally via HDMI, which solves the bass management headache and allows you to consolidate your investment in good analog performance in one place.
Both of these formats are digital, not analog.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts